What happened to this fuel line?

ASB

I was trying to run a wire up the rigging hose from the bilge and when I open up the wire loom I found my fuel line rotting from the outside.

image.jpeg

This is on a 2004 Pathfinder. Luckily this was only like this for about 10 inches so I cut the bad section out. The insides look fine. I'm wondering what caused this?

That is Type B1 Fuel line, the black hose on the other side of your coupling is A1 Fuel hose.  The B1 is an external product that really shouldn't be used below deck (doesn't have the same SAE rating as A1),  I can't say why the cover failed but?  If you're concerned going forward just purchase some A1 it will last as well...  Go to marinehaose.com and check for more answers.... 

15 hours ago, ASB said:

I guess I will change it all the way to the tank.

thanks!

Good move...I changed out mine...check the pricing on the hole..WM can be really pricey....depending on where you are at, BOW had the best pricing...just be sure to use the correct one...also, i'd change out the anti-siphon as long as your fiddling with the fuel hose and your fuel bulb....this way you have a completely new system, with no potential air leaks or other issues which will sneak up on you later....the bulbs get eaten away with the corn juice...try and keep the connections limited to reduce any air lock issues.

have fun.....

dc

Crazy hose failure. Looks as if a corrosive fluid got on that line. Change all lines, anti-syphon, ball, etc as Dino said and stay away from corn juice at all costs!

Just had my fuel lines inspected by IMS and a camera dunked into my tank at Merritts. Everything was perfect. Changed the ball just to be safe. I've used Rec90 fuel in my HPX since I took delivery of it.

The old style glass/plastic style fuel tanks seem to give off more fumes than the metal type fuel tanks also the corn fuel didn't help anything. Look at the inside of the lids on boats with glass/ plastic type tanks that used corn fuel almost everyone has a stained underside. Looks like that hose sat in some corn fuel maybe during fuel filter changes. Take in to Amazon hose near the airport or send them a picture they may be able to tell you what happened. Most of the shops that make air craft hoses hydraulic supply/ Amazon hose are well trained on hose failure both pressure and chemical. 

On September 11, 2016 at 4:27 AM, Wanaflatsfish said:

Good move...I changed out mine...check the pricing on the hole..WM can be really pricey....depending on where you are at, BOW had the best pricing...just be sure to use the correct one...also, i'd change out the anti-siphon as long as your fiddling with the fuel hose and your fuel bulb....this way you have a completely new system, with no potential air leaks or other issues which will sneak up on you later....the bulbs get eaten away with the corn juice...try and keep the connections limited to reduce any air lock issues.

have fun.....

dc

Thanks, where is the anti siphon valve?

The anti-siphon valve is on top of the tank. It's a metal piece that's about 3/8" around and about 2" long. It threats into a fitting on top of the tank and attaches to the fuel hose with a barbed fitting. They are fairly inexpensive, but spend another two or three dollars and get a good one. Spray some stuff (liquid wrench) on the threaded connection and let it sit for a day or so before you attempt to take it off. Use two wrenches, one to hold the anti-siphon valve and another to hold the fitting that is screwed into the tank.

Be careful messing with the anti syphon valve, they are produced to a specific spring compression (gravity) that needs to open when you start the engine to allow fuel to flow.  The premise is to keep the fuel from running back or discharging back into the tank when the motor is shut down, this prevents air lock and allows the fuel to "hold" in the fuel feed lines.  So, if you don't need to change the fitting leave it, but if you do check on the inspection plate on the fuel tank (should be very close to the fitting location) and check with the manufacturer for the correct gravity on the spring.

Lowcountry Joe...  That is a vent line rather than an overflow, remember fuel in air out... Simple displacement, you're just overfilling the tank a bit that's all... I hope this helps...

DaveC is right, It does keep fuel from running back to the tank when the motor is off, but the anti-siphon valve does more that that. Instillation of the anti-siphon valve is required of boat manufacturers because it keeps fuel from siphoning out of the tank and filling your bilge if a fuel hose ruptures or comes loose. The fuel supply hose exits the tank at the top, then in most cases runs down hill to the bilge, then up to the motor. If the hose is compromised in any area lower then the tank, it will siphon fuel out of the tank if an anti-siphon valve is not installed.

Archived