F150 starting problems

z28jimi

Recently, my 2006 F150 has begun acting up when I try to start it. The problem is intermittent, so I'm having trouble figuring it out. At times, a twist of the key will start it right up, at other times, all the electronics will come on, the fuel pump will come on, but no starter. Most of the time, if that happens and I turn the key several times in succession, it will eventually light. I've broken, cleaned and remade every hot and ground connection from the batteries through the battery switch and ground bus to the motor and starter, and no success. Once this afternoon it fired right up, then later it just looked at me. Any ideas?

13 hours ago, z28jimi said:

Recently, my 2006 F150 has begun acting up when I try to start it. The problem is intermittent, so I'm having trouble figuring it out. At times, a twist of the key will start it right up, at other times, all the electronics will come on, the fuel pump will come on, but no starter. Most of the time, if that happens and I turn the key several times in succession, it will eventually light. I've broken, cleaned and remade every hot and ground connection from the batteries through the battery switch and ground bus to the motor and starter, and no success. Once this afternoon it fired right up, then later it just looked at me. Any ideas?

you most likely have a bad starter key...they are not cheap - about $100, but, this is the only item left....it's a 10 year old starter pad...I'd go there next.

dc

By starter key, I'm assuming you mean the keys with assembly that mounts on the console. I replaced the keyswitch assembly about two years ago. When I turn the key, I always get juice to the electronics and I always hear the fuel pump run, so I know the switch is making a connection. With these conditions, would the switch still be suspect?

Is battery voltage app 12.6 at full charge? I would try leaving battery charger hooked to battery and try starting. Just a second or two to see if starter will engage each time.  Will keep voltage a little higher while cranking. Hookup voltmeter to starter wires at starter and read when trying to crank engine. May point to starter needing disassembled and serviced. Also has safety switch been worked any? Try pulling safety and put back several times .

Here is a possibly helpful YouTube video. Engine is 250 Yamaha but same basics apply:

Pathfiner20

I bought a new 20 ft. Pathfinder in 2007 with a Yamaha F-150 on it and I had the same problem from day one.  Everyone told me it was a grounding issue but I never solved the problem.  I eventually took it to a dealer and they tightened all the ground connections on the motor (there must have been something I was missing) and it worked for about 6 months then the problem started again.....I never solved the issue and BTW, Yamaha wouldn't cover the work under warranty because they said it was "normal maintenance" to tighten all connections on the motor when it was serviced annually or every 100 hours.....

I have a buddy that has another boat brand, with Yamaha F-150, I think 2009 or 2010 year motor and he has the same problem......

Archived