Hewes 18ft bayfisher repower

Whiskeytrain

Hey guys, I have a 2000 18ft bayfisher with a 2000 115 Yamaha. The engine recently took a crap and looking to repower. I'm still debating on new or used. Also, would the weight of a 4 stroke be too much for the boat since it had a 2 stroke before? Would it be too heavy on the stern and ride low? Looking at another Yamaha but open to suggestions. 

I am in Fort Lauderdale so any advice on where to go for repower on new or used outboards would be appreciated.

thanks

The new 4 strokes have gotten lighter, but all of the new 115 motors will be heavier than the old carbed two strokes and probably none of them will have the total package of torque and top end as the old 115.  My motor has tons of torque, but I don't think it has the top end of the old carbed Johnsons and I think Yamaha copied the OMC powerhead.  The new Yamaha 4 strokes are the same weight as my E-tec.  Whatever you get, I would stick with a 115, especially on an 18.   I moved the batteries forward and my 16 sits fine with a 115.  I think you will take a hit on resale with a 90 on a premium brand 18 foot flats boat.  Its not a Carolina Skiff.  People expect an 18 Hewes to move along nicely.  

Thanks for the replies! I'm starting to wonder if I am going to have to raise my poling platform as well. I have heard the 4 strokes are slightly higher. Still up in the air about brand of motor. Been hearing good things about the suzukis. Anyone have any idea what the difference between the Yamaha 115 vmax sho vs the Yamaha f115 inline 4 stroke. They seem very similar and wondering if anyone had personal experience.

thanks

Think you are correct about sticker the mfg has to put on,  You can put any engine on, the mfg has to stay within sticker...possibly an issue with insurance if you exceed 130 (btw, the Yammy 115 & 130 were basically the same engine).  Bigger issue is the 115/130 are lower profile.  Measure cowling of your choices, remember motor tilts up and you need clearance to remove cowling.  The issue may be with height of platform.  (Or, you fix one thing and all the sudden more boat $$$ for something else)

Another option is a major rebuild of your old motor and that way you keep the weight down and the boat balanced the way it was designed.  You will give up some fuel economy, but you won't have as much squat in the stern, have the nice 2 stroke torque, and not have to deal with the repower fitting, etc.  

A thread a few years ago I found a thread that had good things to say about Hydro Tec marine for powerheads - I saved the site for when mine pops.  Apparently you send off your old powerhead and they send you a beautifully rebuilt one.  See: http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/index.htm

Bolt on some other new/rebuilt components and you could end up with probably a near showroom condition motor for far less the cost, and brain damage.

Tough decision.... Good luck!

Cheers,

Bud

I have a Zuke DF140 on my 99 17MA, it's a little bit heavier but not a major deal. It fit under my stock poling platform with no clearance issues. I believe the DF90, 115 and 140 are all the same block, if I recall the 140 was a tick lighter then the smaller hp, I maybe wrong. Something to think about. I'd buy another Zuke in a heartbeat, been a great motor and sips fuel.

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 6:29 AM, Drummer said:

I believe the Etec weighs 390 lbs, which is a little heavier than the old 115 Yamaha. Fuel economy should be a lot better. Just make sure your outboard mechanic knows how to work on the Evinrude. 

When I bought my motor they advertised 373 pounds, now its 390.  I don't get it.  Was the original figure BS or did they change the motor? 

I wouldn't change the platform.  I would buy a motor that fits.  That was a concern for me when I repowered.  The Etec has a lower profile V4 design, not an inline piston design.  Be sure you are happy with the mounting hole your motor sits on before you measure clearances.   At some point you may want to say....go to four blade and raise the motor to the max.

As for hydraulic steering, I think if you never had it, you won't miss it.  If you have had it, you won't want another skiff without it.  FYI I don't have hydraulic steering and have no complaints.  I can tell you a steering wheel with a knob helps immensely.  I guess it all depends on where you want to spend your money.  For for me, I would rather have a power pole, or an I-pilot trolling motor.  Those items will improve your fishing.

Also 20-40 pounds won't make much difference.  I went from a 355 lb ish V4 2 stroke to the Etec and didn't notice much difference, maybe 1/2".  As for what my motor really weighs, who the heck knows.  I can send you a pic of her at rest in the water if you need it.  If I can remember this correctly, the water line is the top of the lower bolts on the poling platform bracket fully loaded, no people.  The old motor was about the bottom of the bolt. 

Yes, 140 Suzuki is 402 DRY.  Pretty sure the Yammy 115 & 130 were 350.  Anyway, put a 50lb bag of sand/concrete whatever on your platform.  There's the change.    As to different gear ratio, propped right this 4 stroke has a great hole shot.  That's more important to me (don't know about you) than top end.  Old Lappy gets squirrelly at higher speeds anyway.

22 hours ago, lurem said:

FLDXT, Not trying to derail the original thread but I see that the gear ratio on the Suzuki is 2.59. How does that relate to the Yamaha and Mercs which is 2.0-2.15'ish. I guess I am asking what prop do you run and what speeds and RPM's are you getting?

Mine is an 04, Zuke has always been notorious for being geared lower than the other 3. I swing a big 4 blade, not at the house right now to get the exact numbers. I absolutely lose some top end, both because of the 4 blade and the gear ratio, but my boat will jump in spit, plane at low speeds and sips gas, bUT it won't win any races. My WOT trimmed out with a full tank of fuel, two peeps and a fishing load is probably 42mph, that's a full load. I usually cuise at 30-35mph, somewhere between. 4500 and 5200 rpms.

I repowered  my 20 ft Lt Hewes with a 4 stroke Yamaha from a 150 HP 2 stroke.  The difference was not noticeable in weight.  You will lose the oil injection tank .  The weight difference was about 50lbs .  I would go with the 115 if you were happy with the old 115 performance.  My new 150 still pushes the boat with the same RPM to speed of the old engine.  4000 rpm gives me 30+ mph,BTW the fuel economy is double the old engine.  Amazing.

I think the new 115 has had some output enhancements that help it's power is even better than the earlier 115s.

Archived