pathfinder 2200 vs 2000 overall length with trailer and big water ride

fishcast

Long story shore I live in the Northern part of the U.S. and primarily fishing freshwater, but i'm highly considering ditching my 19' aluminum multi species fishing boat for a pathfinder bay boat.  I need to get out and ride in one personally at some point.... But in the mean time...  

I'm curious if people have opinions specifically on the ride and how dry the hull is with the 2000 versus the 2200 particularly when it comes to nasty weather and high winds and big water?

Also, I'm curious with the 2200 what the absolute bare minimum length of garage would be needed to store it if they boat trailer had a swing tounge to reduce the length.  I know I could make the 2000 and motor and trailer fit but I'm not so sure about a 2200. 

Thanks for any input!

I own both a 2000V and a 2200V.  I use the 2000V for freshwater striper fishing and the 2200V for bay and offshore fishing in Apalachicola.  The boats are similar.  They both run very dry but remember that all center consoles will throw some spray in certain conditions.

Obviously the 2000V is 2' shorter and therefore a little more tender in sloppy weather.  I've never measured the overall length of the 2200V but I've read that you need 30'.  I do know that an Ameratrail trailer for a 2000V is only 18" shorter than the same trailer for a 2200V.

i hope this helps.

Used to run an aluminum multi-species style here in Ohio.

Been running my 2000V on Erie since '05 and never felt I didn't have enough boat.  Absolutely drier than my Fisher.

Sunday morning we had 5 & 6 footers closer than I liked. Wind was settling, but if I waited too long we wouldn't have time to get our 60 perch before the cleaners closed.  Relaxed and took it easy into the swells at 8 knots for 6 miles to the secret spot.  Not a problem.  Actually kind of fun watching my partners face.

My time in the 2200 is limited to some test drives on Erie in some good slop.  Yes, the 2200 can be a slightly better ride in SOME conditions, but not enough to build a bigger garage.  What water will you be on, and by the way, how long is your garage ?  

Thanks for all the responses!!

I'm a crazy mix of fishing.  I do everything from wading for trout in streams to  bass, muskie, carp, and walleye etc to saltwater flats and passes in the florida keys.  Ironically, all my Florida Keys fishing so far has been from canoe, kayak, and from shore but its been incredible and I would like to also consider a bay boat for doing double duty in salt.  Currently I live in Williston, ND and spend most of my time on Sakakawea and Fort Peck reservoirs.  They are the 3rd and 5th largest reservoirs in the U.S.  The water can get gnarly in a hurry on these waters....

The boat I currently run is an alumacraft competitor 185 tiller boat with a 90 hp yamaha tiller outboard.  The tiller boat has a great open space and deck and walk around deck making it very versatile for both casting and trolling applications that I do.  The  Boat is 18'10" and has 85" beam.  Its a good boat and the tiller run motor can be a great help in certain boat control situations along with the bow and transom trolling motors that I have.  However, I'm slowly working my way into part time guiding and I'm not a huge fan of when I take others out and Im dealing with 2-3 footers (and often times even greater waves) and we get thrown around and drenched.   Also, with my current boat i'm not a fan of storage that isn't waterproof and is largely carpeted- sometimes I fish a lot, and i'm getting tired of airing junk out all the time when it down pours or I take on water in the waves etc. I'm looking for ways to make the whole process more efficient.  If I fished once a week and selectively picked my days to avoid 15-30 mph winds it wouldn't be a big deal, but thats not the case haha  

The ultimate boat to me is something that is effective and enjoyable to cast for bass and muskie etc, and still be capable of precise control of speed and depth in big water and wind for walleye etc, built to last, and can handle big water waves with considerable more comfort than what i am experiencing currently,  but can still fish skinny when need be.... Kind of an impossible combo but I feel like bay boats are as close as it comes.... In my research so far it seems Pathfinders are the best combination of value/quality build/and fishability.  

Ultimately Id rather get the right boat for my situation and get creative with the garage situation.  I could actually park diagonally with my current garage set up and make it work if I shifted a bunch of stuff around haha.  I'm not used to bigger boats and I do put in on very small waters at times, and thats more of where I'm hesitant to jump all the way up to a 22 footer.  However, I have a feeling in my situation I might appreciate the additional foot or two in length of the 22...

14 hours ago, fishcast said:

Grant, specifically what aluminum multi species boat are you comparing the 2000v pathfinder to? thanks a bunch

I had run a 17-6 Fisher for about 6 years.  Tracker bought them out just about the time I got mine and they went to crap.  I was running a 90 hp and had no trouble on Erie cause it floated like a cork, but D@#n that was a wet ride.  I know what you mean about wet storage as well.  Like you I fish skinny fresh water as well as the Great Lakes, and get salty as much as work allows.  I looked for another ride for the same reasons you are.

The Pathfinder shallow bay design is exactly what I needed. I really didn't know that at the time, but it's waaay more boat than I thought I was buying. I can fish safely and comfortably in 11 inches of water, or 60 feet of water.  When the weather turns really bad really fast, I have absolute confidence in my 2000V to bring myself and passengers home as long as I do my part.  Have there been times when I would have liked to be in a bigger boat ? Sure.  Would 2 more feet made an appreciable difference ?  I can't say that.  Come to think of it, I have never been in a bad Erie storm when I didn't wish the boat was bigger, and I've been in some pretty big boats.

If you have room for the 2200 you can't go wrong.  Every little bit helps and the 2200 CAN be a more comfortable ride.  If inside storage is an issue, you can't go wrong with the 2000 either.  Darn,,, it's a win-win !

4 hours ago, Grant said:

I had run a 17-6 Fisher for about 6 years.  Tracker bought them out just about the time I got mine and they went to crap.  I was running a 90 hp and had no trouble on Erie cause it floated like a cork, but D@#n that was a wet ride.  I know what you mean about wet storage as well.  Like you I fish skinny fresh water as well as the Great Lakes, and get salty as much as work allows.  I looked for another ride for the same reasons you are.

The Pathfinder shallow bay design is exactly what I needed. I really didn't know that at the time, but it's waaay more boat than I thought I was buying. I can fish safely and comfortably in 11 inches of water, or 60 feet of water.  When the weather turns really bad really fast, I have absolute confidence in my 2000V to bring myself and passengers home as long as I do my part.  Have there been times when I would have liked to be in a bigger boat ? Sure.  Would 2 more feet made an appreciable difference ?  I can't say that.  Come to think of it, I have never been in a bad Erie storm when I didn't wish the boat was bigger, and I've been in some pretty big boats.

If you have room for the 2200 you can't go wrong.  Every little bit helps and the 2200 CAN be a more comfortable ride.  If inside storage is an issue, you can't go wrong with the 2000 either.  Darn,,, it's a win-win !

Thanks for the input! Have you (or anyone that reads this) spent much time in boats like Ranger 620 or 621 fishermans? Curious how the pathfinder would compare in big water? 

13 hours ago, fishcast said:

Thanks for the input! Have you (or anyone that reads this) spent much time in boats like Ranger 620 or 621 fishermans? Curious how the pathfinder would compare in big water? 

The Fisherman series will cut the waves better, but you will sacrifice draft and bait & release well capacity. 

Ranger's draft spec is 2'-6", but I know my buddies 620 can do 18" - 20".   Nice boats, but NOT skinny water boats.  I believe the 22 Ranger Bay I was in some years ago drafted about the same.  Their new Bahia line lists 12" draft, but I haven't been in one to know for sure.

I know my 2000V can float is less than a foot.

I just went from the 1900 to 2200 so not the exact comparison, but pretty close.  Ride is fairly similar, the 22 a little better simply cause it spans waves a little better and is heavier.  I haven't measure draft of 22 but it def feels like it's gonna be drafting a few more inches.  I was most surprised by the additional stability the 22 afforded over the 19.  Considering they are same width, it's certainly a lot more stabile platform, I guess due to the additional displacement and weight.

I thought long and hard about a 20' when I was looking, but glad I held out for what I really wanted.  If you can afford the $ and extra space, just go with the 22.   

Cool.  Yeah, Ranger Vs are nice but I'm not even considering them due to draft.  A lot of my favorite fishing is in skinny water.  I was just curious for ride comparison cause i've been in a number of rangers and glass lunds.  I would have guessed the deep v glass boats might absorb the shock of the waves better but probably be no less dry than a pathfinder.  

Ultimately Id like to jump in a pathfinder 20 or 22 or ideally both.  Unfortunately there are very few pathfinders up this way.Theres a few guys  in Minnesota that have them.  Shot off an email to one guy that does some muskie guide trips etc.  

I'd love to have a whole pile of different boats to test out on a nasty windy day haha

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2016 at 0:50 AM, fishcast said:

Ultimately Id rather get the right boat for my situation and get creative with the garage situation.  I could actually park diagonally with my current garage set up and make it work if I shifted a bunch of stuff around haha.  I'm not used to bigger boats and I do put in on very small waters at times, and thats more of where I'm hesitant to jump all the way up to a 22 footer.  However, I have a feeling in my situation I might appreciate the additional foot or two in length of the 22...

Well, I had a 20 for 7 years, then got a 22 this May.  I honestly have not noticed much difference between the two boats in chop and/or waves  They both draw 11 inches by the way.

As far as fitting in the garage, here is my garage - Sunbrella down to the waterline!  My former boat, the 20, had the same type cover and looked as good as new after over 1000 hours under that cover.  Just another option to think about.

IMG_2232.JPG

On 9/24/2016 at 6:06 PM, Ron in Atlanta said:

Well, I had a 20 for 7 years, then got a 22 this May.  I honestly have not noticed much difference between the two boats in chop and/or waves  They both draw 11 inches by the way.

As far as fitting in the garage, here is my garage - Sunbrella down to the waterline!  My former boat, the 20, had the same type cover and looked as good as new after over 1000 hours under that cover.  Just another option to think about.

IMG_2232.JPG

The reason your boats look like new has nothing to do with the cover..has to do with your meticulous attention to cleaning detail !!!

and, don't forget a bit of ZAINO :)

dc

On 9/25/2016 at 11:27 AM, nhinshoreangler said:

Where did you get that Sunbrella cover? Very nice!

Phil Hertzog at Hertzog Canvas  772 708 0898, built it along with the cover for the prior 2000V ...

Boat_Cover-2.jpg

and the cushions, towable console and leaning post covers for both boats.  He is located near Ft Pierce and thereby has access to all the MBC boats for measurements.  He is not cheap, he is very good.

And Dino, yes, good waxing helps (if you have ever been to South Beach, you know just what I mean) but ironically, the one thing that will mess up a gelcoat, especially a blue one, is the sun shining on it.  I used to have a blue hulled sailboat when I lived up North.  Looked great in April with buffing and a new coat of wax.  By July, she was starting to oxidize and by September, looked chalky white!  Finally had her emroned which fixed that problem. 

Archived