Talk to me about Rabuds....

FINCHASER

I see lots of folks have or recommend them but I'm not quite sure how they actually work.

I do not have them and my only minor complaint about current drains is the port side drains a bit slow but will not allow water to come in from outside when 2 people get on that side of the boat... the starboard side is the exact opposite.  Not really a big deal.. been like this since new but wondered about how the rabuds are supposed to work.

Do they allow draining when sitting still or only when moving?

Are the check valves left in the drain lines when Rabuds are installed or left in?

Thanks for any info fellas

On my previous PF I installed them.  There are currently some pictures and comments in the General Section.  Basically when at rest, the ping pong balls float up into a silicone like compartment and block the ability for water to enter the scupper.  Water evacuates quickly when moving. At rest, say, during a rain storm or when washing your boat, water will drain slowly.  If you have the newer system with the drains on the sides of the boat, I would leave it alone.  If your drains are on the transom, you could consider adding them to reduce or eliminate any water intrusion.

I've put them on all my Pathfinders and they completely eliminate water from entering the deck. The ping pong ball floats up and seals off the drain when water tries to back up into the boat. Water from the deck will push the ball down out of the hole and allow it to escape. I couldn't tell any difference in water draining from the deck out of the boat, it has always been a slow process with or without the skuppers. 

55 minutes ago, Moderator said:

I need to make this a Sticky topic... Can one of you guys add the purchase locations,sealant & spacer needs, and install process with screw sizes.. Couple photos if you can.. It will be stuck up on the Pathfinder listings..  

I will appreciate it..

Mod 1

You can buy the 3" Rabud scuppers from Dusky Marine. My boat has the clear ones. You need the spacer to go over the thru hull. http://www.duskyonline.com/scuppers.html

24Raybud1.jpg

9 hours ago, FINCHASER said:

Thanks for the info guys.... I would think removing the check valves would be helpful as it should drain a lot faster and the rabuds are taking over the check valve task of preventing water backing uo thru the system.  would like to hear from someone who has removed them if they exist

I had to add Rabuds to my 2001 2400V after I put on the F250 because of the heavy weight of the four stroke, I started getting water in the rear scuppers and it would be two inches deep in the cockpit. I bought the 3" Rabuds,  removed the flap on each one , did not remove the check valves, and installed the Rabuds. I had no water intrusion after that. My 2200xl with the F150 does not have any water coming in, so I have not messed with the factory scuppers.  Hope this helps....

15 hours ago, FINCHASER said:

Thanks for the info guys.... I would think removing the check valves would be helpful as it should drain a lot faster and the rabuds are taking over the check valve task of preventing water backing uo thru the system.  would like to hear from someone who has removed them if they exist

Be careful, Pathfinders uses 5200 on most of that plumbing, it's hard to get apart.

Had same idea of removing check valves. I have added a larger access hatch. And even with the larger hatch changed mind

and left valves in. Would half to cut out. Mine are in very tight. Could not break loose by hand. Would also need filler pipes or new hose

for each side. My deck stays dry now. Flush out valves often should be ok. Also for drilling the hull cut down or eliminate chipping of gel coat by

grinding drill bits so cutting edge is vertical with length of drill. Then drill will scrape material instead of trying to make chips of it.

Archived