My first in depth look at the 23 hps

linesider 159

So as I sold my boat sunday I figured I would stop by the tampa boat show on the way home. 

I went to the shearwater display and looked at what they had, and visited some buddies working the ranger area, but made sure I went by and checked out the mbc boats offering. 

I took a quick look at the new 25 and it looked like a nice boat, though not something that is my style. Next I went and looked at the 23 hps, which is a boat I like. 

Going in all the hatches and such revealed great layout, extremely deep hatches, and the leaning post at the perfect height and distance from steering wheel. Gas shocks on the hatches, well finished hatches, I have to say I was impressed.  Credit where credit is due pathfinder, well done with this boat. Definitely better than the skeeter 22 bay I'm running right now.

The only 2 things I noticed was the rear seat was over the edges of the hatches so you had to lift it up to open them. Also, unless I missed something,  the bilge access looked to be just a small rectangle hatch in the back. 

All in all I was impressed, it was a good looking and we'll designed boat. 

If you get serious about buying, I'd suggest having the seat shipped loose, then install it where you want. I had mine shipped loose, then sold the seat and had a custom seat made. Unless they changed things, I thought the hatch to the bilge was more than adequate.

Crap!!!, just re-read your post. I take it you are not talking about the leaning post seat??

I was talking about the seat behind the leaning post they had installed. 

I didn't dig further for a larger bilge access, but I'd imagine mbc had already thought of that and I didn't see it. 

Regardless I couldn't believe how deep the hatches were behind and in front of the console! I was thinking jeez, a mullet fisherman could store his nets in this thing and still have room. I liked that gas shocks were on most, if not all hatches as well. It's definitely a nice boat. I'm not sure I'll go that route as I really like the characteristics of flats boats, but if I transitioned to a bay boat it would be my top 3 for sure!

I had a 23ft. Bay boat for 13 years and loved it, so I already know what I wanted and didn't want with regard to design, convenience and quality. I shopped and compared every Bay boat on the market (not custom built) for about 18 months before deciding on the Pathfinder 23 HPS. Price wasn't really a factor, I just wanted a quality fishing boat.

Archived