Maverick Mirage HPX-V 18 For Texas?

eltoro

Hello All,

I am heavily considering a Maverick Mirage HPX-V 18 as my first boat.   I live in Texas near the houston area where I kayak fish high island, roll over bay, yates bayou, east bay, Christmas bay , matagorda,  and occasionally near shore (6 miles out) out of surfside and Padre island national seashore.  I also do some freshwater lake fishing.

I am looking at a boat that I can use to fish these areas with a heavy focus on inshore fishing (12" to 30 ft) and on a flat day a run near shore to some nearby rigs.

I would also plan family trips to Louisiana and Florida for fishing a couple times a year.

I would also like the boat to accommodate my wife and daughter comfortably when I take them.

I have a high interest in poling hence the boat choice. 

My hesitations are regarding how well it can handle bay crossings when needed, and am I looking at the right class of boat considering on where I fish.  Also in big lakes what can I expect in terms of ride quality.  Lastly since it's not self bailing should I worry?  Should I be looking at another boat?   How does a redfisher 18 compare?

Sorry for all the novice questions.

Thanks,

Kenneth

I've never fished Texas before so I cannot say which boat I would prefer to fish in Texas. However based on the needs that you are listing the 18HPX is the boat for you. I really do think it is one of the most versatile boats on the market.

The 18HPX eats chop. The other day I was running home on a 15 mile run with white caps (2 foot chop). I made the run in 25 minutes and didn't get one drop of water on any of the passengers.

I guess one of the biggest considerations would be how much do you plan to pole? You may actually find out that you will pole more then you expected.

Good luck with your search.

As far as your question about not being a self bailing cockpit: I will admit it's a little unnerving the first time you're ankle deep in water for 10-20 seconds waiting for the water to go through the cockpit drain but it's not something I worry about, plus I really try to avoid it. The trade off is a very deep cockpit floor which you'll definately appreciate with the little ones on board. 

Archived