Repowered my rig with a Yamaha 200 SHO

Gulfcoast

Got a new to me 2016 Yamaha 200 SHO (59 hours and warranty through 2021) hung on my sled.  Like many others, I thought about selling and getting a new or newer rig but decided on re-power instead.  I really like my hull and after I weighing in the fact that all my extras that are pretty new:  custom trailer is less and a year old, Power pole is about 1 1/2 years old, Lowrance is 4 months old, aluminum work about 2 years old and a deal on a motor I could not pass up, it quickly became a no brainer for me.  Since I was re-powering  I decided to add a jackplate, and went with all new rigging rather than using my 16 year old stuff.  I went with a Yamaha Command Link Digital Information Station so that I will have all my gauges in one unit. I have not put it in the water yet but everything sure looks nice. I'm pumped.  I kept the Powertech 3 blade 19 pitch prop and will start with that to see how it performs.  Work is going to be rough tomorrow.     

I snuck away for an hour to try out my new Yamaha SHO.  All I can say is WOW!  This motor is nice.  It can really get on it too.  I did'nt get to play with trim and the jack plate too much today but I was able to see 57mph against a decent wind.  Only thing I noticed that concerns me is it does not seem to pee as hard as my old 150 Vmax.  I do have a water pressure gauge now and I was seeing about 5psi idling and 15psi while running.  Is this normal or do I need to look at the water pump?

4 hours ago, Bamaskeet said:

SHO's are like old men, they don't pee strong!

3 hours ago, CG RYAN said:

The stream is weak, nothing to be concerned about. I went from a f150 to the SHO and must have had the biggest smile on my face that first time out.  

Thanks for the feedback.  I was/am a very happy camper during and after my initial test run.

I would love to get some feedback from you on the extra weight of the motor. Does the boat squat more in the rear? If so does it effect shallow water performance or draft?

The old carbed V Max is such a light motor at 418 #'s it allowed the boat to sit and float level. Curious to see if you have noticed any difference. The new motor looks massive compared to the old.

Archived