Fatty In DA Back - Capt DonH and Dino Adventures

So,

I finally get a day to feeeesssh....with my bud Capt DonH....weather look great...Monster Incoming and then I realize..ugggggh....the dreaded full MOON....

But, as the famous Stu Apt once told me at a Seminar when  I asked how do you fish a full moon ?   He says, " you go fish....they gotta eat some time :) "

We head out, fish the bars around Choko on falling tide and load up on the ladies...then head into the Chatham....no love on the last of the outgoing.....

We head out front to the mouth of the Chatham for the beginning of the incoming and find a new spot where we find a few smaller snook, and a few reds...one goes home for dinner...

We begin our trek south as I wanted to fish the bights....we are running the back in da skinny mini  as the larger boats are all still on the points on the outside....

We arrive to another spot where we know there are some trenches that should hold fish....yep, another red  joins us for dinner....

So, dinner made, we go to look for from black drum  - my favorite dinner filet next to red...and get to our drum spot and find a few more nice reds....

Out goes the chunks right next to the mangrove....i mean right up on it in a small hole....2" chunk, no weight, 50 lb floro and a 6/0 circle....a little stink juice on it....

after a few meow meow's on the chunks - I mean monster sail cats...the rod bends over- ca-thunk - I say to Don, " that's not cat"....it moves slowly to the left along the mangrove and I grab the St Croix, that's loaded with 30 lb braid...game on..he makes a rush to the mangroves and I see the swirl and golden roll...I say to Don, to grab the net....he pushes out the Frabill and waits.....after a good fight...our fatty comes aboard....33-34" long, no weight..but a true back country Fatty in Choko...

After a few pics, he returns to his buddies and swims off....

We head further south to check a few more spots but the tide has run up too high....

On the way back, we decide to stop and have lunch and "chunk" as we normally do...

Once again, a nice red arrives......we finish lunch, and head home....

Reds 8, snooklets 2, more catfish you can count, jacks, and ladies = lots of fun and two reds home for dinner.

As Stu says....go feeesh !!!!

Here is one who came home....he was only 20", but, was fully gut hooked....this one gives you some perspective to the size of "Da fatty".

29468697270_3302e7eec2_k.jpg

29724514976_5e258f35a3_k.jpg

And remember....Chasing Tail is what it's all about :)

29648728162_64af711f85_h.jpg

until the next time....

dc

Archived