Upper Keys suggestions

gwojnow

We are thinking to trailer our 22PF down from FLL to either Key Largo or Islamorada on a Saturday for just the day (not overnight). We will mostly cruise and sight see but might aim for a little fishing depending on conditions. Anyone have suggestions on convenient boat ramps with parking that are in close proximity to good snorkeling reefs, anchoring spots, etc so we can maximize our day?

I appreciate your suggestions in advance. 

If you want to be bayside, Founders park in Isla has a nice ramp (for fee) that's in a good proximity for cruising and you could run out to Hens & Chickens or Cheeca Rocks using Snake Creek or Whale Harbor cut. Further south you can launch on Tea Table fill for free; the ramp is iffy but I've launched boats bigger than a 22PF there. Parking could be an issue, but you can usually find a spot. Again, good proximity to pretty cruising and just a short run up to Cheeca Rocks. I think the ramp at Harry Harris park is closed, but if it isn't it's a really nice ramp to use. 

Thank you all for your input. We put in at Caribbean Club and logged nearly 80 miles of running around to various ocean side reefs and down to Islamorada and then made our way back to the ramp via the back side...awesome trip and very convenient boat ramp! Thanks Again. GW

Archived