BATTERY CHARGER ?

flatsfisher772

So I purchased a Minn Kota 3 bank on board charger for my 16' Bayfisher. 2 banks for the 24v trolling motor setup and 1 bank for my starting battery. When it arrived it ended up being wayyy bigger than expected and I'm not sure I can even fit it anywhere. I could possibly put it in the rear hatch with the starting battery but the fuel lines run right there and that just seems like a bad idea. I may be able to move it under the console if I move a bunch of stuff but it will take up a ton of room and I imagine a lot of heat will build up in there. 

So what I am considering now is just getting the Minn Kota portable charger. Unfortunately, they only have 2 bank 5 amp or 1 bank 10 amp. I already have 1 smaller charger which I can use for the starting battery since it remains mostly charged to do the engine. So my question would be, should I get 2 of the 10 amp portables or 1 2 bank 5 amp? Unless someone has a great idea of where to mount the on board charger?

Thanks for the feedback!

71myc8+03RL._SL1500_.jpg

MK210P-gallery-hero.png

I wouldn't worry about putting it in the rear hatch, just mount if so it doesn't tough the fuel lines because it does create some heat (maybe 120 to 135 degrees) but that's not unusual. Where are your trolling motor batteries located? Will the factory wires reach? The charging wires can be extended, but you will have to use their extensions to keep the warranty.  Have you thought about mounting it on a wall in the console? If you are worried about the heat, just add some vents (one or two vents low and one or two vents up high.

I have a 2 bank minnkota for my trolling batteries . . however have 2 starting batteries and instead of using 2 chargers I got a Deltran (battery tender) DVD-40.  It is a 2 bank 20A per bank portable charger.  Works like a dream, pricey but very heavy duty.

http://www.batterytender.com/Chargers/Heavy-Duty-DVD-40-Modified-12V-12V-Dual-12V-20A.html

You may also be able to find it on amazon.  That is where I got mine and it was a bit of a savings.

Here it is on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-1158-12-Output-Charger/dp/B002DU3RZ0/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1474437311&sr=8-7&keywords=deltran

Portable chargers are a PIA...and are not "safe" in my opinon as you have to attach and re-attach to each battery...

Either go Stealth or keep and figure out a place to put the MK.

They don't generate so much heat they are dangerous....unless you have it ontop of a fuel tank etc.....

Isolate it in the console, or as mentioned, mount under the front seat or on the wall of the console, using some starboard...you can put some spacers under it to allow for some air flow..

Do it right and you'll be happy.

dc

• 1 month later...

So been reading about the stealth - love the idea.  Probably a silly question but here it goes:

With the AC/DC system and 3 TM batteries and 1 cranking battery - can the stealth system still allow one of the TM batteries be tied into battery switch for backup in case cranking battery goes dead?

2 hours ago, Ohson said:

So been reading about the stealth - love the idea.  Probably a silly question but here it goes:

With the AC/DC system and 3 TM batteries and 1 cranking battery - can the stealth system still allow one of the TM batteries be tied into battery switch for backup in case cranking battery goes dead?

Yes (option 6 in their manual)

Archived