Yamaha F150

koondog

Hey Guys, 
I have a 2005 Yamaha F150 with 498 hours on it. 

This past weekend noticed a whine in the motor... took it in and the cam balancer had come apart has gone through the powerhead. They recommended a new powerhead but did say i could have someone completely disassemble and clean powerhead, oil pan etc... I'm looking to just sell the motor as is... 
Do any of you have an idea of what it's worth? The dealer told me 4-5k which seemed high to me...? 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, koondog said:

Hey Guys, 

This past weekend noticed a whine in the motor... took it in and the cam balancer had come apart has gone through the powerhead. They recommended a new powerhead but did say i could have someone completely disassemble and clean powerhead, oil pan etc... I'm looking to just sell the motor as is... 
Do any of you have an idea of what it's worth? The dealer told me 4-5k which seemed high to me...? 

I had the exact problem on my F150 at around 500 hours as well...it required a full rebuild; lucky for me, it was under warranty and covered for everything other than the oil.....

Sorry to hear your problem....but, why are you selling?  A rebuild by a 5star yamaha dealer will have it like new....

dc

23 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

I had the exact problem on my F150 at around 500 hours as well...it required a full rebuild; lucky for me, it was under warranty and covered for everything other than the oil.....

Sorry to hear your problem....but, why are you selling?  A rebuild by a 5star yamaha dealer will have it like new....

dc

Well,,, I had 2 places look at it and both quote me around 10k to completely fix it.  I obviously don't want to put that kind of money into a 10 year old motor when a new one isn't too much more...   Palmetto Boat Sales in Charleston (Pathfinder Dealer) is the ones that originally diagnosed it.  He did tell me that the motor would still run and that the only damage they could find was the balancer came apart and needed a new powerhead 

31 minutes ago, koondog said:

Well,,, I had 2 places look at it and both quote me around 10k to completely fix it.  I obviously don't want to put that kind of money into a 10 year old motor when a new one isn't too much more...   Palmetto Boat Sales in Charleston (Pathfinder Dealer) is the ones that originally diagnosed it.  He did tell me that the motor would still run and that the only damage they could find was the balancer came apart and needed a new powerhead 

Check with the Boat Center here in FLL...ask for Kent...they have a top mechanic here (Klint) who is one of the best in the region...

The balancer in my case, resulted in some piece coming into the system which could result in a catastrophic failure....

$10K seems High....but, I'm no gearhead...

DC

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 10:08 AM, koondog said:

Hey Guys, 

How noticeable is the whine?

12 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

HOw much was the end result on the fix?

dc

The quotes I got ranged from $8K - $10K to replace the powerhead.  I was told the powerhead alone was $5800 not including any labor.  One guy did mention he could clean it out for $2 - $3k and said it would run for "a while"... I was hesitant to spend that money on an 11 year old motor and be staring at the another issue in a year or 2 so I opted to go with a new motor.  I plan on keeping the boat for a long while so having a new motor with a 6  year warranty isn't so bad outside of biting the bullet to pay for it...   I was able to sell the old F150 for 2K.

37 minutes ago, FunFlatsFishing said:

How noticeable is the whine?

Well,,, honestly that's a hard one to answer.. I never really noticed much out side of the motor would squeal every now and again sort of like a loose belt on your car...and would go away.  At the time I was told this wasn't an issue and fairly common.  I never noticed a steady whine (i don't have a mechanics ear either)  until the balancer failed.  I was running up the ICW in Charleston.. came off plane and noticed the squeal and a "loping" to the engine as I was idling through the no wake zone.  When I'd give it throttle it sorta sounded like a turbo engine...almost like the F250 turbo diesels can sound... (if that makes sense)   I idled straight to the ramp and took it to the shop the next day...which was obviously too late.  I was pretty bummed because I've very particular about my things and like to think I take very good care of everything. I bought the boat used and thought I had completely caught the motor up on all the maintenance.  Clearly not...

Well my journey today consisted of me bringing the boat to two mechanics that I use. The first (who originally rigged my boat when new and has since opened his own shop), said there is no issue and that he in fact remembers replacing it. The second (the Pathfinder dealer where it was originally purchased and family friend) said it may or may not have been replaced but it appears that if it was replaced, it was replaced with the same faulty part with the nylon gear. They will be inspecting further and making the swap for me. Based on the above, am I just supposed to take the first mechanics word? Not my style.

So here is what I learned.... If you look at the outside of the balancer casing you will see a small round circle with a few numbers in it as well a small standalone 1, 2, 3 or 4 just outside of it.

If it has the 1, it is the faulty part  

If it has a 2, 3 or 4, it has been replaced as the 2 was the original update and the 3 and 4 are even newer updates.