Tire issues

East Coast Dave

So I walked by the boat today and noticed my tire was coming apart as I sat there and watched. When I bought the Maverick the guy I bought it from told me it had two new tires. He mentioned he was inside one day and heard a loud boom.  He went into the garage and the tire or tires just exploded from he assumed he heat and the tires being couple years old. The guy never said he replaced the spare so I guess this confirms his story about the tires blowing up in the garage. I'm glad it happen in the driveway rather than if I needed it and put it on the trailer. 

I guess I may consider replacing my tires every couple years even if they don't look like they need it, 

image.jpeg

I have never seen that before.  If this happened multiple times, there is probably a connection.  Start over with new, quality tires and they should be fine for a while.  Typically, the rule of thumb is to change them every 5 years regardless of use or looks.  If they are properly maintained, inflated, sheltered from the sun or use something like 303 Aerospace protectant, they should not 'explode'.  Then again, who knows what they were exposed to.  Good luck.

11 hours ago, East Coast Dave said:

So I walked by the boat today and noticed my tire was coming apart as I sat there and watched. When I bought the Maverick the guy I bought it from told me it had two new tires. He mentioned he was inside one day and heard a loud boom.  He went into the garage and the tire or tires just exploded from he assumed he heat and the tires being couple years old. The guy never said he replaced the spare so I guess this confirms his story about the tires blowing up in the garage. I'm glad it happen in the driveway rather than if I needed it and put it on the trailer. 

I guess I may consider replacing my tires every couple years even if they don't look like they need it, 

image.jpeg

I replace every two years...too important to not have good tires under you sled....

DC

19 minutes ago, Capt. Troy said:

When you replace that tire request high pressure valve stems. You would be surprised how many shops don't use them when they are suppose to be on that application.

I just went through this with the cores blowing out when airing up a tire. 2 of them.

I use the stainless/metal ones sold on Ebay for about $2 a piece....

don't forget to have them balanced.....when you replace...

Maxxis online will send you a new rim and tire....for about the price of a new tire in a local dealer..then take it to a firestone/other and have the balancing and stems put in....

They will charge you about $20 a tire to do so....worth every $$$

Pay now or pay later...and why Online ?  NO one will warrant a tire, except the online site..I bought the protection for $15 per tire...let's see how it get's warranted....so far, I don't know or want to know :)

When buying tires, it's important to get a tire that has been recently manufactured. Short story; I had a local tire store install four tires on my boat trailer about 5 years ago. When I came to pick-up the trailer, I read the date codes and the new to me tires were already 2 1/2 years old. So, they sat in some warehouse for 30 months before my tire guy bought them. We had a serious talk and I had new "new" tires the next day. The link below describes how to read the date codes.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11&s_kwcid=AL!3756!10!3780142827!30523985122&ef_id=V6oTjQAABDwVMx9M:20160925235143:s

2 hours ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

When buying tires, it's important to get a tire that has been recently manufactured. Short story; I had a local tire store install four tires on my boat trailer about 5 years ago. When I came to pick-up the trailer, I read the date codes and the new to me tires were already 2 1/2 years old. So, they sat in some warehouse for 30 months before my tire guy bought them. We had a serious talk and I had new "new" tires the next day. The link below describes how to read the date codes.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11&s_kwcid=AL!3756!10!3780142827!30523985122&ef_id=V6oTjQAABDwVMx9M:20160925235143:s

Good info Kahuna ! 

11 hours ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

I just looked. The tire was manufactured in the 32nd week of 2005. The boat is an 2007.  

Yikes!!! Over ten year old tires are trouble waiting to happen. Fortunately there was no damage to the hull when it blew!! Had a "D" rated tire with the full 65 pounds of pressure blow up about ten feet from me that was laying in the back of a pick up truck, it was a change your pants moment.

It never blew, just expanded like crazy. I went out and let a lot of the air out because I didn't want it to blow around my kids or their friends.  That would be worse case scenario, boats can be fixed.  The tire was coming part more each day and I honestly was hoping it would blow in my face when I was releasing the air pressure.  I feel a lot better now. I know one thing is that I'll start looking at the manufacture date from now on when I buy tires or a boat trailer. I ordered a matching tire off tirerack.com. 

It can happen to any of the trailer tires but failures are more prone after 3 years of even light use.

Good valve stems are important. They need not be stainless. Brass work just as well. But the basic rubber stems are known to fail.

I'm on my 4th set of Freestar trailer tires with no issues but I change them every few years no matter what. Same with my hubs. New axle every 5 years.

Speaking of valve stems. Why would a stainless valve stem be better than the standard rubber ones? Even the stainless have a rubber base that seats on the rim. I did have a flat on my trailer last month (lucky it was just sitting in the condo parking lot and not on the road), anyway the tire guy said the valve stem was leaking. So, I'm ready to switch to stainless valve stems, but would like to know what makes them better.

The bases of all the stems are indeed rubber. The rubber stem is usually the part that fails which is why many people use metal stems. I've had two rubber stems fail over the years but never the actual rubber base, although anything can happen. I can't see any functional advantage of the stainless stems versus the brass stems.

6 hours ago, mulligan said:

I am no tire pro but at my work we have plenty of tires in all sizes.  I can easily say that most of the stem failures is not the actual stem but rather the core, the center part that unscrews.

It is the core that fails. High pressure stems have brass and are meant to carry the pressure. My good Buddy now and at the time my #1 charter client was the CEO of Bridgestone Firestone retail operations Global. Yea, I know a guy.;)

As mentioned, date codes are an important factor. Also remember very few of us run on any tire for 4 to 5 years on our vehicles. Much less dunk them in saltwater over and over subjecting the tire to go from the heat of the road to total submersion over and over and then let them sit on flat spots for weeks at a time.

Get the right stems and keep proper inflation and balance Then, plan on replacing them at no longer than 5 years of age. You will, despite what you think be money ahead. Tread wear is not a good measurement in a boat trailer application.

And, a blow out can cost you way more than a new tire or a little inconvenience.

On 9/26/2016 at 5:07 PM, SCFD rtrd. said:

Speaking of valve stems. Why would a stainless valve stem be better than the standard rubber ones? Even the stainless have a rubber base that seats on the rim. I did have a flat on my trailer last month (lucky it was just sitting in the condo parking lot and not on the road), anyway the tire guy said the valve stem was leaking. So, I'm ready to switch to stainless valve stems, but would like to know what makes them better.

The base of the stem is rubber, but, pressed into the rim.

I was told that one of the failure points on the rubber is when something strikes the stem when towing...

DC

Archived