Tire issues

East Coast Dave

3 hours ago, nicecast said:

Do you guys recommend a spare exactly like the rest of the tires, i.e. same brand, or more of a designated spare that will only be on the trailer temporarily and will always serve as a spare?

I guess that depends on how far you tow. If you only tow short distances, then a spare from Wal-Mart will suffice. They are about $100 for tire and rim. But, if you are towing to the Keys from central Fl., then you need a quality spare tire.

5 hours ago, nicecast said:

Do you guys recommend a spare exactly like the rest of the tires, i.e. same brand, or more of a designated spare that will only be on the trailer temporarily and will always serve as a spare?

I do but admittedly lil OCD and everything has to match...lol...yeah even the wheels...so I buy tires in threes...my luck is I would be an hour into an 8 hour trip and have a flat so I would want peace  of mind knowing the spare is solid.

My spare does not match the rest but my trips are short.  My long haul is when I know I will be going out after work and haul the boat to work with me.  Those "long" hauls might be 30 miles round trip.  If I am going any distance I throw an extra tire in the truck.

So long as the spare is new...no problems in my view...make, model, etc...no matter, but, it should be the same class and be balanced like the others.....you don't want something that can go on you if you are on a long haul...every trip for me is 100 miles each way (mostly)....so, it's important that my tires and bearings are in good shape and I keep a close eye on them all.

DC

• 1 month later...

Found this thread as I need to replace the tires on my tandem axle trailer. I got the max time out of my last set of load kings but they were bias ply and not radials. My tire guy says go back with radials. He also said to go with cheapest option and replace every 2 years regardless of wear. 

Have ST205 / 75 /D14 (4-ply?)

options are 

Trailer King & Akuret 6-ply radials ($280) out the door or Carlisle 8-ply radials at $400 out the door. 

Any experience with these tires?

Archived