Am I propped Right 2400TE

Conceptzj

So I picked up a 06 24TE this weekend.  Powered by a 250HP 4 Stroke,   The current prop is a PT OFX4R21.   

From all the experience in the forum, is this the best prop for the boat?  

On the test run, I was able to get RPMs around 55-5600 and the speed only reached 44-45mph.   I thought I read a bulletin somewhere this setup can see 52-54mph and that would be phenomenal if so.   On the test run, I didn't get a lot of time or space to really find the sweet spot with the JP, Tabs, and trim so I might be able to get slightly better.  I do think the bottom paint is robbing me of a couple mph and will probably be the first item on the boat I address.

Thank for your input guys.

I am out of town next week but will be trying out several props next weekend. I have the same hull. I ran my 21 OFX3 so far (3 trips) and the best I got was 51-52 with full load and 80gals fuel. The OFX3 didnt give me the lift I like so I am waiting for my OFX4 20" in the mail. I will also be trying a OFX4 21 next weekend. Ill let you know how she does. 

OK, I ran the boat this weekend some and here is what my numbers were

2 guys, light load, full tank fuel.   I got at best 5500RPM and 46 MPH.

I think the bottom paint is slowing me down some but didn't think it would be 7-8mph!

If I had a TTOP and Bottom paint maybe, even if I got the RPM's to 5800+ I doubt i would see 50.   What else could be robbing me off the top end.   I am looking at getting the bottom paint redone and smoothed out, maybe color matched to hull, thankfully my buddy is gonna give me a best friend price even on the professional job.

Have you tried moving the motor up one hole on transom ?  That can give you 200 or so rpms, but it may blow out in sharp turns. Depends on where it is now. Also, bottom paint can take 5 mph off if it's old or has any growth on it.  Just trying to think out loud to help. Do you know anyone with a 19" 4 blade that you can try ? 

Mike,

"I think the bottom paint is slowing me down some but didn't think it would be 7-8mph!"

You might be on to something...........bottom paint is not good for top end speed!! JJ might be on to an easy solution, however you mentioned a jack plate that's not the issue. I'm thinking your 21" prop is a bit too much along with the bottom paint. My two cents.

The bottom paint is old, its fouled, does have some random growth.  I have a very strong pressure washer and once I get done with this storm and a day off/free. plan to get under that boat and clean it.  Moving the motor up probably won't help, I have a jack plate and already tried different heights to find that sweet spot.   Best I got was numbers above but I didn't log/note the positing tabs/JP/trim was at the time.  Just that it was the best I got in current setup.   Still considerably less then what others get.   Ill clean up the BP some and try some more run time before I invest in props.

• 2 weeks later...

I ran a 2007 24 TE with 3.3 F250TXR, OFX4 21 on Monday, just a quick check ride after a service. Boat had 3/4 fuel, 4 batteries, trolling motor, 2 anchors with chain,rod lockers were full of tackle and gear no T Top. This boat stays at a remote fish camp so owner keeps a lot of gear in it. She ran 54MPH @ 5800 with jack plate on 2 trim was neutral boat was heavy and couldn't lift bow

Chris those are good numbers. I Ran my 2400/F250 last weekend with a new OFX4 20" and was only able to get 51mph @ 5,800rpm. This was full livewell, 60gals fuel, troller/4 batteries, all the random stuff I bring. I will post more results when I get to run it some again tomorrow. 

histogramm.png

cleardot.gif

Date: Mon 10/10/2016 10:03 AM
Description:  2400 te

Duration: 00:02:02 Distance: 1.27 mi

Speed

Average: 37 mph Max: 54 mph

Altitude

Max: 39 ft Asc: 46 ft
Min: -20 ft Desc: 59 ft

These are from an app on my phone i use on boats that don't have GPS

It is called Gpsspeed HD has some good features and records and saves data so you can

compare later

map.jpg

Took the boat out Friday for a little joy ride, see some aftermath from the storm.   

We had 4 ppl, light on tackle and average gear, was mostly drinks and food.   

The best I saw all day was 40 mph and about 5300RPM. 

Chris, those are awesome numbers that your boat is achieving.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2016 at 8:20 AM, Conceptzj said:

So I picked up a 06 24TE this weekend.  Powered by a 250HP 4 Stroke,   The current prop is a PT OFX4R21.   

From all the experience in the forum, is this the best prop for the boat?  

On the test run, I was able to get RPMs around 55-5600 and the speed only reached 44-45mph.   I thought I read a bulletin somewhere this setup can see 52-54mph and that would be phenomenal if so.   On the test run, I didn't get a lot of time or space to really find the sweet spot with the JP, Tabs, and trim so I might be able to get slightly better.  I do think the bottom paint is robbing me of a couple mph and will probably be the first item on the boat I address.

Thank for your input guys.

I have a very similar set up.. 07 2400TE with 250 4S and have a Saltwater Series II 3 blade prop and get very similar results as you posted maybe up to 48 if the stars align.  But I do have a TTop, 4 batteries, trolling motor and a bunch of gear.  I suspect the ttop is good for a 3-4 mph loss.

Archived