Gauge Readout Restoration

blewbyu

13 hours ago, Shallowminded6 said:

There is a post on THT on a DIY method if you are willing to do it. I think I posted it here a while back. Similar results. Those look awesome! Wish I saw something like this before I bought new ones.

I saw the DIY method. To me $50 is worth getting it done right the first time. I'd be too squeamish with DIY.

• Like 1

A couple of tips when removing Tach/Speed round gauges on the RF18.

1. remove water supply tube from Speed gauge. Pinch tube with hemostats if you're going to run engine.

2. Carefully disconnect two harness plugs on Tach. The plastic pins bend away from connector with small blade screwdriver.

3. Loosen four bracket 7mm bolts, lock washers. I did mine with pliers. Pull out Tach gauge. Label each connector with correct color male lug wire pin. Remove gauge. 

4. Repeat for Speed gauge.

For reinstalling gauges reverse the process. Connect water supply tube after wires are connected. If not you will have trouble fitting bracket.

I coated all connectors with dialectric grease.

Eric hooked me up too and I'm very pleased with the results.  The former owner replaced the tach, but my speed/fuel/volts was terribly faded - just about unreadable.  

It's sure nice to finally see it without squinting, tilting my head, glasses on/off...  The photo was taken in low light so you see the nice blue/green glow of Eric's refurb - nicer, in my opinion, than the new gauge.

It's a great option versus a new expensive gauge, or trying to do it myself as it looks tricky.

Cheers,

Bud

image1.JPG

• Like 1

If you have new gauges or "cleaned up" gauges, you might want to check out the new gauge covers for $20 each from Offshore Plastics.  I just installed 2 new Command Link gauges with the SHO motor, so I bought 2 of the covers in black.  They fit just right, and will protect the gauges when I am washing the console.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JEM said:

If you have new gauges or "cleaned up" gauges, you might want to check out the new gauge covers for $20 each from Offshore Plastics.  I just installed 2 new Command Link gauges with the SHO motor, so I bought 2 of the covers in black.  They fit just right, and will protect the gauges when I am washing the console.

Did you let your old gauges go with motor .?  Mine are " crazed" bad. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the post. I have been slacking doing mine and this made it too easy not to get it done. 

I called Eric Monday at lunch, had them in the mail Monday after work, and by Tuesday I had a text from him saying the gauges are done and being shipped out the next day. 

Another happy customer. 

IMG_0849.thumb.JPG.b78c3ad71c514e20d30192abef4e0fb9.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 8:50 PM, Bud_man said:

Eric hooked me up too and I'm very pleased with the results.  The former owner replaced the tach, but my speed/fuel/volts was terribly faded - just about unreadable.  

It's sure nice to finally see it without squinting, tilting my head, glasses on/off...  The photo was taken in low light so you see the nice blue/green glow of Eric's refurb - nicer, in my opinion, than the new gauge.

It's a great option versus a new expensive gauge, or trying to do it myself as it looks tricky.

Cheers,

Bud

image1.JPG

like the blue green color much better than the orig.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/7/2017 at 2:31 PM, blewbyu said:

A couple of tips when removing Tach/Speed round gauges on the RF18.

1. remove water supply tube from Speed gauge. Pinch tube with hemostats if you're going to run engine.

2. Carefully disconnect two harness plugs on Tach. The plastic pins bend away from connector with small blade screwdriver.

3. Loosen four bracket 7mm bolts, lock washers. I did mine with pliers. Pull out Tach gauge. Label each connector with correct color male lug wire pin. Remove gauge. 

4. Repeat for Speed gauge.

For reinstalling gauges reverse the process. Connect water supply tube after wires are connected. If not you will have trouble fitting bracket.

I coated all connectors with dialectric grease.

Whenever I am removing something now a days I always take a picture with my cell phone.  helps keep me from writing everything down and it's easy to read and follow.

Just a thought !!!!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/18/2017 at 4:55 PM, RacerxV6 said:

Whenever I am removing something now a days I always take a picture with my cell phone.  helps keep me from writing everything down and it's easy to read and follow.

Just a thought !!!!

Eric did mine last year and taking a picture saved my keister when it was time to reinstall. 

BTW the results were amazing!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...