98 Hewes LT 18 Rehab

Reel Loco

They changed the Unified Land Development Code in 2010 which disallows a boat anywhere in the front yard including the driveway. That was my only option because my property has extensive landscaping which precludes me from parking it in the sides or rear. They are just now starting to enforce the new code.

• 4 weeks later...

Ah, okay. I misunderstood. Not only did the hinges break, but they pulled/broke where the hinge meet the fibergl*** on the backrest. A real mess. Knowing nothing about fibergl***, I don't know if it can be repaired and still be structurally sound or if I'll somehow need a new backrest. I believe MBC used that same flip up backrest until around 2007/2009 so getting one may prove impossible. I have the boat @ Ingman as we speak for other reasons and have them looking at it just to see what they think. Even if it can be repaired, it's probably not something I can do anytime soon.

Ksayles,

I made the cushions myself. I bought an old commercial sewing machine to make my center console cushions during the rebuild. I watched youtube vids to learn how to do it. I like the challenge of trying new things and I have time as I'm retired.

Thanks for the nice words on the rebuild. After a years use it has performed great!

RL

TML,

Good question. I'm putting in alot of thought into "would I do anything differently" and I'm having a hard time coming up with anything other than something Lurem pointed out. I wish I would have bought a different type of switch for my jack plate that could be mounted on the throttle handle instead of on the steering column like it is. I may change that soon.

Upgrades I would like would be a trolling motor with a 60" shaft vs the 52" I bought. It irritates me when someone walks to the stern and the troller blade breaks the water surface. When the shark eye lights start giving me problems I will change them out to LED. I could use a lesson in how to organize my large front storage compartment as everything seems to end up piled in a bunch at the bottom.I also need to upgrade my helm as the check valves stick and allow some blow by making steering less responsive than desirable.

Other than that the boat performs like a dream in skinny water. I'm very pleased with what it can do as long as the operator pays attention (lol).

One thing I would add if I was a magician would be rod lockers vs the under gunnel rod holders but I'm not that good.

If it wasn't for the great fuel mileage (average about 4gals for a full day of fishing) I get with this boat I would probably swap it for a 21'mav. I love the size of the bait & livewells, the rod lockers & it feels like you are fishing on an aircraft carrier!

Enough said. I love this boat! :)

• 1 year later...
  • Moderator pinned this topic
  • 9 months later...
On 7/1/2016 at 7:25 PM, Reel Loco said:

2 1/2 yrs on the water & still running great! Love this boat:)

How have the boat repairs fared in the last 4 year since you splashed the boat?

Your thread has given me inspiration and guidance in getting my 92 MA back in the water, I have read it for the most part, well at least up to where you got the cap back on. I am at the point where I'm planning on getting the motor off in preparation to pop the cap and change out the fuel tank. I don't have leaks but its the original. There are also stringer system and below deck repairs needed to boot. I want it to be reliable for another 15 years.

My motto lately has been; the More I Grind the More I Find. Thanks for this Thread!

20180113_132210.thumb.jpg.a10083abef2184cead3bd688b76b2a65.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

RokGrdn,

Wow, it's been a long time since I've been on this site. Great to hear you are restoring your MA. My LT is still performing wonderfully and literally hundreds of snook have crossed the gunnels. I've had no failures with any of the work I did. I feel the reason for that was using the best materials available. Most recently I've updated my trailer with new axle, bunk coverings, etc. I wish you luck with your rebuild.

RL

• 4 months later...
On 2/6/2018 at 7:07 PM, Reel Loco said:

I've had no failures with any of the work I did. I feel the reason for that was using the best materials available.

RL, I am starting a Bonefisher rebuild and wonder what recommendations you have on materials. Coosa, types of cloth, fillers, paint vs. gelcoat, etc. Any tips you can share will help. I am in Fort Myers. So if you have any favorites for supplies, would love to hear that too!

• 7 months later...

I’m have major issues with my 98 21 master angler... I have cracks everywhere in the hull from clearly my stringers coming apart.. 

when you removed you cap, was there a easier meathod? Would you cut your floor out again before removing the whole cap or just remove the cap and leave floor in place? 

I have to do exactly what you did.. I’d love to hear your thoughts, I know this thread was from 2011-2012 but any help I’ll take it..

thanks 

248BCF51-BFC7-4BCF-9597-5877364DE933.jpeg

8878067D-23DF-445F-ACB3-BEE2A8C5B4F6.jpeg

41B78112-E137-499F-AA8D-909D58549A53.jpeg

E4AD63A6-065B-43B1-AF7C-18F3F195D68E.jpeg

D2A50CBD-531A-4F71-BDFF-3224B2C2FC9E.jpeg