A True Barn Find

Rybovich18

Thought I would share this with y'all. I picked up a 1975 Bonefisher today from the second owner. I have known about this boat for probably 25 years and was convinced I would own it some day. It's been sitting under cover in a barn in Canoe, Alabama for quite a while. Funny thing is we can't get it out until they finish harvesting the cotton all around it. Seems solid overall but there are soft spots around the console. Speaking of which, this console is supposedly original, but sure seems large to me. Maybe someone could offer an opinion. I plan to restore the boat and will post pics as I go. Problem is I don't yet know when I will begin.

1319568854-hewes_barn_4.JPG.98001965c32a

1319568838-hewes_barn_3.JPG.2ab4bbbee5ff

1319568818-hewes_barn_2.JPG.3f0e8a71d40f

1319568800-hewes_barn.JPG.b731cdc038bfc6

Nice find. It looks like an originl console. It appears from the rigging that this bought was bought for freshwater use. B*** seats and no Pole Platform. This boat may have never seen salt in it's life. Great project boat.

Post some more pictures when the cotton comes in.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The boat is now out of the barn. I presented it to my son yesterday for his 13th birthday. You should have seen the smile on his face when I backed into the driveway. After we took these pics we spent an hour washing the boat. It turned out surprisingly clean. Everything seems solid (even the transom) except the floor right under the helm is spongy. I guess I won't know what I am dealing with until I cut the floor out. Hopefully good news, but prepared for the worst.

1344964859-alec_hewes_1.jpg.bc70248e0342

1344964842-alec_hewes_3_-_Copy.jpg.a42dd

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. Big question for the experts: I popped an inspection port under the console and all the foam there is dry. Nice surprise. But, the deck is soft in more than one place and, with the inspection plate off, I can squeeze from underneath and feel that the deck coring is some sort of foam? It feels wet.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived