Mounting a Trolling Motor 2000V

awall

I recently purchased a new (to me) 2007 2000V. I am happy to be back in the MBG family after selling my Hewes back in May. I just bought a new Minn Kota with I Pilot and I am in the process of installing it now. After removing the current trolling motor I was looking at where I wanted the placement of the quick release for the new one to be. My question is how important is it to have the mount through-bolted on? I know for sure that I can get washers and nuts on 2 of the bolts but I am not sure about all 4. I cut a piece of starboard to the size of the TM mount to go under the puck. What are your thoughts on applying 5200 under the mount?

Ok, thanks, so the other two bolts would be positioned to be screwed on from the outside of the boat? Or are you saying just two of them will have nuts on them?

The original trolling motor was held on by 8 bolts but none of them had nuts on them, just bolts.

My first Pathfinder was an 07 2000.  I mounted the trolling motor far enough from the edge to thru bolt it.  That being said, I had a difficult time reaching the bolts on the edge.....I had my wife tighten the bolts from the top and I taped a wrench onto a piece of pipe so I could reach the nuts.  I used grease to hold the nuts in the head of the wrench while she tightened them.......it was a pain in the butt.  Be sure an use lock nuts!  good luck....

Thanks for everyone's input. I got the new trolling motor installed. I was able to get 3 bolts through and then drilled a new recessed hole for the 4th. 

Next question for the guys with the new ipilot motors, where is your heading sensor located? It says it needs to be mounted on a flat surface and 24" from any ferrous metal (stainless steel falls in this category) I couldn't find anywhere on the console that was 24" away from any stainless steel. 

https://www.minnkotamotors.com/Products/HEADING-SENSOR---BLUETOOTH/

41 minutes ago, awall said:

Thanks for everyone's input. I got the new trolling motor installed. I was able to get 3 bolts through and then drilled a new recessed hole for the 4th. 

Next question for the guys with the new ipilot motors, where is your heading sensor located? It says it needs to be mounted on a flat surface and 24" from any ferrous metal (stainless steel falls in this category) I couldn't find anywhere on the console that was 24" away from any stainless steel. 

Glad you got it figured out.  As Dawgfan said, keeping ALL the bolts inside the anchor locker is really tough, and definitely a two person job.

I mounted my sensor out of the way on top right corner of my console.  The stainless isn't a factor since it's not magnetic.

Others have mounted it inside the console on a custom bracket.  The console doesn't seem to degrade the bluetooth signal enough to matter.

I left mine on top to keep more distance from the battery wiring, but I haven't heard of any issues from those who mounted it inside.

The directional sensor allows accurate use of the "Jog" function which is fantastic.  You'll love it.

• 3 years later...
On 7/5/2017 at 3:41 PM, awall said:

old thread but I'm looking to install my trolling motor on my 2007 2000v. any chance you could take some photos of inside your anchor locker? I'd like to see how close the bolts are to the edge. thanks

• 7 months later...
On 7/30/2020 at 4:36 PM, AntonRx said:

old thread but I'm looking to install my trolling motor on my 2007 2000v. any chance you could take some photos of inside your anchor locker? I'd like to see how close the bolts are to the edge. thanks

Did you get this done and no issues? Got pics? Curious too, where is your plate?

• 1 year later...
On 3/15/2021 at 8:49 PM, tha5150 said:

Did you get this done and no issues? Got pics? Curious too, where is your plate?

Sorry for late reply! 
here’s some photos of my install. 
have had it on 2 years. No issues. Used the factory installed aluminum plates that are on both sides of the front cleat. Drilled, tapped 2 and through bolted the other 2 inner ones. 5C36CFE5-2784-4F2B-9359-B8263BA245E7.thumb.jpeg.6e25ace541d63bc0f10f9279aba34fa5.jpeg

BD7D25B4-1169-4AEF-8DDE-05999216DFEA.jpeg

F2174B4D-FDB9-4F37-B5CA-17E7D6F72E1D.jpeg

01CD0738-2BDA-4E26-BDDC-755F771F6E99.jpeg

BA13342B-E336-4316-81A4-ABA6C99360C3.jpeg

CE02A7C4-29FE-4F0F-AD8E-DAE3561AB771.jpeg

62371024-9FC5-4A75-BFB5-2281F25BE303.jpeg

03B57C73-FFF0-4FDC-A71C-9527DD8FF5FA.jpeg

• 1 year later...

I see this is an old thread but here's my contribution. Added a minnkota ulterra, 54", 80lb TM to my 2009 Pathfinder 2000v. Used the rta-17 quick release bracket. I don't see how I could have mounted the motor without the bracket. I had to put the mounting block right up next to the rub rail to get enough clearance for the motor to deploy. I think I would have air balled 4 screws in the motors mounting plate without it. With the quick release bracket I was ultimately able to get 3 through bolts and had to tap one. All of them went through the aluminum plate present in the glass. 

Used some starboard to build a flange for the plug in the anchor locker. Not sure what other solutions people figured out. 

How are people powering their TMs? Mine came to me prewired for a TM with 3 batteries under the CC and a 3 bank charger (previous owner kept his motor and patched the mounting holes). I currently have 2 deep cycles and a marine cranking battery. This means I'm sharing either the starting battery, or a trolling battery for the house. Is this how other people are doing it, or should I get a 4th battery (house, starting, and 2 dedicated for the TM)? 

Also, are people using shaft stabilizers when the TM is stowed? Seems like it might be overkill for a 54" shaft. 

PXL_20240224_232159992.jpg

PXL_20240224_232153334.jpg

PXL_20240224_225404666.jpg

PXL_20240223_194334394.jpg

PXL_20240223_152416488.jpg

PXL_20240226_212009426.jpg