What did you do to your boat today?

HewesYourDaddy

gonna be a busy week, finally have enough "little jobs" to justify putting a day into working on the boat instead of using it.  gonna blow like hell this Saturday, so probably a good day to get 'em done.  In no particular order:

1) replace TM plug with a battery tender plug

2) address the starboard trim tab that has suddenly decided to stop working

3) check/fill tilt/trim fluid

4)  Figure out whats going on with my inconsistent bilge pump

5) check my livewell pumps which gave me issues Saturday.  

Nothing like sudden temp swings to bring out the gremlins!

I finally got around to mounting and wiring an all-around light on the back end of the t-top. Snaking the wire through the top tubes was tricky, but finally got it. The second challenge was figuring out how to wire the switch so the light came on with the nav lights and alone when at anchor. 

And... changed out spark plugs except this time I randomly decided to test each connector (boot) with a voltage meter. Turns out one of them was dead, meaning I've been down a cylinder for who knows how long! Marina MIke's in Ft. Myers was the only local place that had one on Saturday, so drove an hour to get it. Amazing difference now that she is literally "firing on all cylinders!"

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nicecast said:

I finally got around to mounting and wiring an all-around light on the back end of the t-top. Snaking the wire through the top tubes was tricky, but finally got it. The second challenge was figuring out how to wire the switch so the light came on with the nav lights and alone when at anchor. 

And... changed out spark plugs except this time I randomly decided to test each connector (boot) with a voltage meter. Turns out one of them was dead, meaning I've been down a cylinder for who knows how long! Marina MIke's in Ft. Myers was the only local place that had one on Saturday, so drove an hour to get it. Amazing difference now that she is literally "firing on all cylinders!"

Nicecast,

Could you give a little more description on how you tested each plug boot? Between the boot and the plug? Between boot connector and ground? Etc.

I’m doing plugs this weekend on my F250.

Many Thanks!

The "boot" that fits over the head of your plug contains a small connector, like a butt connector. The boot twists off the end of the wire by turning it counterclockwise. On the wire side of the boot is a male screw. You have to look inside the rubber end of the boot to see the screw. Use a multimeter touching the screw on one side and the female metal area that fits over your plug head on the other side. The correct miliolm (I think?) measurement varies by plug. I found mine in the manual.

To reinstall the boot once you have tested it you simply fit it with some moderate pressure onto the end of the wire and screw it down until you feel some resistance in the wire.

I need to replace one of my spindles on a Tie Down torsion axle.  The stainless lip, where the seal rides, is split and tearing up the seal every time.  This axle is 8 years old, the spindle castle nut is pretty rusted.  Anyone have experience getting these replaceable spindles off?  I'm planning on having to cut the old rusted spindle nut off.

On 11/14/2017 at 10:02 AM, RodWorks said:

I need to replace one of my spindles on a Tie Down torsion axle.  The stainless lip, where the seal rides, is split and tearing up the seal every time.  This axle is 8 years old, the spindle castle nut is pretty rusted.  Anyone have experience getting these replaceable spindles off?  I'm planning on having to cut the old rusted spindle nut off.

Air chisel worked for me

• Like 1

On 11/13/2017 at 2:36 PM, whichwaysup said:

gonna be a busy week, finally have enough "little jobs" to justify putting a day into working on the boat instead of using it.  gonna blow like hell this Saturday, so probably a good day to get 'em done.  In no particular order:

1) replace TM plug with a battery tender plug

2) address the starboard trim tab that has suddenly decided to stop working

3) check/fill tilt/trim fluid

4)  Figure out whats going on with my inconsistent bilge pump

5) check my livewell pumps which gave me issues Saturday.  

Nothing like sudden temp swings to bring out the gremlins!

Well, I got 1, 3, 4 and 5 done, plus replacing my trailer lights.  Thanks to Hurricane for the advice on where to mount the battery tender!  Managed to do that after a mornung fishing trip where we caught 32 trout by 10 a.m..  A good day.  looks like my trim tab will require some professional help!

20171118_162939.jpg

20171118_070036.jpg

• Like 1

"Well, I got 1, 3, 4 and 5 done, plus replacing my trailer lights.  Thanks to Hurricane for the advice on where to mount the battery tender!  Managed to do that after a mornung fishing trip where we caught 32 trout by 10 a.m..  A good day.  looks like my trim tab will require some professional help!"

If it's a Lenco tab the actuators are easy to replace. I figured when I replaced my port side actuator I'd buy two and have a spare. Turns out it was a good move.

• Like 1

added here as well as alone under a single entry.....man, arms tired :)

Last weekend was fix the oil injection system....this weekend, I decided to clean up some things and re-work the bilge area.

1.) I could not easily see the RACOR filter bulb

2.) Anytime I had to service the batter or work on something, it was a hug effort to lift it out and move it-I wanted to be able to check the water levels easily

3.) I wanted to clean up my bubblers 

4.) I wanted to move the power pole pump up under the seat and out of the bilge

PP guys sent me the tubing and ferrels and I was ready.

Here is the part one in the bilge with the battery removed -

IMG_5257.thumb.jpg.d80343aa3b9c14af2965fe11435191e8.jpg

IMG_5258.thumb.jpg.db2cc71a877f332914c0c96f8c75e023.jpg

I bought another Lexan cover for the Bennet pump...yep, 22 years old...still pushing:)

IMG_5261.thumb.jpg.caac73aa27b754a44978f1c85d14775b.jpg

Took a pic to remember things...then used the Perko manual to do the final install.

Removed the power pole pump- yep, very yucky living in the bilge...

IMG_5262.thumb.jpg.d0729cc16cf6cddc308ab5f266e4b116.jpg

Here is the Series 27 Interstate which is the house and starter....135 RC 

IMG_5267.thumb.jpg.1ca12974b9b4cd4c7467fd7c7350892b.jpg

IMG_5264.thumb.jpg.e686557ecbe727c5bb987ac6fc8270e0.jpg

END OF DAY ONE......

IMG_5268.thumb.jpg.293af5f3dd284dc1eb7b0a3299758a53.jpg

IMG_5273.thumb.jpg.02463cd605f3d105ab436bc31631f88e.jpg

DAY 2 -TAKING APART THE POWER POLE TUBIING AND RESETTING THE PUMP

IMG_5277.thumb.jpg.04a3945dd830b99b1cce12f7d449ecf2.jpg

IMG_5278.thumb.jpg.8618a47c8794b53b666992f9a4eaedba.jpg

I HAD TWO EXTRA QUARTS OF GREEN OIL AND CHANGED OUT THE OIL IN THE UNITS - IT WAS DARK AND YUCKY.

I SET THEM IN PLACE...RAN THE CABLES TO THE SEPERATE ON-OFF SWITCH WHICH I RAN FROM THE BUS.

THE ON-OFF SWITCH RUNS THE POWER POLES AND THE BUBBLERS....SO, I CAN RUN THE SHRIMP WELLS WITH TWO BUBBLERS OVER NIGHT OR WHEN ON THE ROAD AND NOT HAVE THE FULL SYSTEM ON.....IT WORKS FOR ME.....

THE AUTO BILGE IS RUNNING OFF THE MAIN-ALWAYS LIVE BUS TO THE RIGHT...THIS WAY IT HAS A VERY GOOD CONNECTION AND NO WORRIES ON THE BATTERY CLIPS

THE TWO FUSES TO THE RIGHT ARE THE BUBBLERS @ 5AMP THE ONES TO THE LEFT ARE THE POWER POLES - 30 AMP 

I USE SHRIMP ALOT AND HAVE 3 BUBBLERS IN THE LIVEWELL FOR CARRY 10-12 DOZ WHICH IS NORMALLY WHAT I CARRY FOR A FULL DAY.....

ALSO HELPS WITH LIVE BAIT, WHEN I CAN NET IT......

I USED ALL BLUE SEAS COMPONENTS - OTHER THAN THE PERKO WHICH I HAD AN EXTRA....ALL ANCHOR WIRE AND ANCHOR CRIMP ON'S.

IMG_5280.thumb.jpg.3c8e15080ea9169f77420a83d0a1bdf7.jpg

ANOTHER VIEW...THE MAIN FUSE TO THE PANEL ON THE CONSOLE - 30 AMP FUSE - EASY TO GET TO.

IMG_5283.thumb.jpg.cfb8c380b915c26227665dd935ed8d6f.jpg

BUBBLERS AND POWER POLES....ALL LINED UP AND EASY TO SERVICE AND SEE.

IMG_5285.thumb.jpg.72eea613bcec6bad6f701ca0b9f90741.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JEM said:

Looks like a monster trout!  How big?

only 20.5, but there are some bigger ones around.  Guy up here caught this pig, 29.75 and 9.75 lbs.  

DonV, stupid question, but what are the actuators, and are they different than the switches?  Feel free to answer when you stop laughing at the stupidity of the question.  

20171108_084449.jpg

10 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Well, I got 1, 3, 4 and 5 done, plus replacing my trailer lights.  Thanks to Hurricane for the advice on where to mount the battery tender!  Managed to do that after a mornung fishing trip where we caught 32 trout by 10 a.m..  A good day.  looks like my trim tab will require some professional help!

20171118_162939.jpg

20171118_070036.jpg

Nice work and what a perfect looking fish. That fish looks like a mount, it doesn't even look real!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

added here as well as alone under a single entry.....man, arms tired :)

Last weekend was fix the oil injection system....this weekend, I decided to clean up some things and re-work the bilge area.

1.) I could not easily see the RACOR filter bulb

2.) Anytime I had to service the batter or work on something, it was a hug effort to lift it out and move it-I wanted to be able to check the water levels easily

3.) I wanted to clean up my bubblers 

4.) I wanted to move the power pole pump up under the seat and out of the bilge

PP guys sent me the tubing and ferrels and I was ready.

Here is the part one in the bilge with the battery removed -

IMG_5257.thumb.jpg.d80343aa3b9c14af2965fe11435191e8.jpg

IMG_5258.thumb.jpg.db2cc71a877f332914c0c96f8c75e023.jpg

I bought another Lexan cover for the Bennet pump...yep, 22 years old...still pushing:)

IMG_5261.thumb.jpg.caac73aa27b754a44978f1c85d14775b.jpg

Took a pic to remember things...then used the Perko manual to do the final install.

Removed the power pole pump- yep, very yucky living in the bilge...

IMG_5262.thumb.jpg.d0729cc16cf6cddc308ab5f266e4b116.jpg

Here is the Series 27 Interstate which is the house and starter....135 RC 

IMG_5267.thumb.jpg.1ca12974b9b4cd4c7467fd7c7350892b.jpg

IMG_5264.thumb.jpg.e686557ecbe727c5bb987ac6fc8270e0.jpg

END OF DAY ONE......

IMG_5268.thumb.jpg.293af5f3dd284dc1eb7b0a3299758a53.jpg

IMG_5273.thumb.jpg.02463cd605f3d105ab436bc31631f88e.jpg

DAY 2 -TAKING APART THE POWER POLE TUBIING AND RESETTING THE PUMP

IMG_5277.thumb.jpg.04a3945dd830b99b1cce12f7d449ecf2.jpg

IMG_5278.thumb.jpg.8618a47c8794b53b666992f9a4eaedba.jpg

I HAD TWO EXTRA QUARTS OF GREEN OIL AND CHANGED OUT THE OIL IN THE UNITS - IT WAS DARK AND YUCKY.

I SET THEM IN PLACE...RAN THE CABLES TO THE SEPERATE ON-OFF SWITCH WHICH I RAN FROM THE BUS.

THE ON-OFF SWITCH RUNS THE POWER POLES AND THE BUBBLERS....SO, I CAN RUN THE SHRIMP WELLS WITH TWO BUBBLERS OVER NIGHT OR WHEN ON THE ROAD AND NOT HAVE THE FULL SYSTEM ON.....IT WORKS FOR ME.....

THE AUTO BILGE IS RUNNING OFF THE MAIN-ALWAYS LIVE BUS TO THE RIGHT...THIS WAY IT HAS A VERY GOOD CONNECTION AND NO WORRIES ON THE BATTERY CLIPS

THE TWO FUSES TO THE RIGHT ARE THE BUBBLERS @ 5AMP THE ONES TO THE LEFT ARE THE POWER POLES - 30 AMP 

I USE SHRIMP ALOT AND HAVE 3 BUBBLERS IN THE LIVEWELL FOR CARRY 10-12 DOZ WHICH IS NORMALLY WHAT I CARRY FOR A FULL DAY.....

ALSO HELPS WITH LIVE BAIT, WHEN I CAN NET IT......

I USED ALL BLUE SEAS COMPONENTS - OTHER THAN THE PERKO WHICH I HAD AN EXTRA....ALL ANCHOR WIRE AND ANCHOR CRIMP ON'S.

IMG_5280.thumb.jpg.3c8e15080ea9169f77420a83d0a1bdf7.jpg

ANOTHER VIEW...THE MAIN FUSE TO THE PANEL ON THE CONSOLE - 30 AMP FUSE - EASY TO GET TO.

IMG_5283.thumb.jpg.cfb8c380b915c26227665dd935ed8d6f.jpg

BUBBLERS AND POWER POLES....ALL LINED UP AND EASY TO SERVICE AND SEE.

IMG_5285.thumb.jpg.72eea613bcec6bad6f701ca0b9f90741.jpg

Nice improvement Dino!

Well I have always been a fan of Optima blue top batteries, ( my original set lasted 8 years).  My current set died after only 3 years so I went to Sam's and got 2 Duracell group 34 AGM's for the cost of 1 Optima.  I noticed the Optimas that died were both made in Mexico, don't know if that is why.  But that is what I did.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, imsnookyrd said:

Well I have always been a fan of Optima blue top batteries, ( my original set lasted 8 years).  My current set died after only 3 years so I went to Sam's and got 2 Duracell group 34 AGM's for the cost of 1 Optima.  I noticed the Optimas that died were both made in Mexico, don't know if that is why.  But that is what I did.

I believe Duracell are DEKA AGM's....great batteries.

The recommendation for the older 2 smoker is NON AGM - and to use only Lead Acid - batteries with a reserve capacity of 135...

So, I deal with the water....thus the reason to get easy access....so far, it's been a champ for me.

DC