Master Angler Production

Nag Juice

Nag - gotta put this in the general forum.  This would be huge news.   Jeez, if the re-sale value on the older MAs doesn't prove the business case, the Egret prices ought to!   

Good for MBG, probably bad for us MA owners from a resale value standpoint, but too good a hull not to get back into production.  Just PLEASE get the 18.5 in the mix along with the aircraft carrier 21!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FLDXT said:

Just give us current MA owner about 6 mths to make the "appropriate preparations" in anticipation of the new MAs...pms would be fine.

I doubt you all have much to worry about, if the MA does come back I'd bet the new price tag will only reinforce the used resale market value similar to the HPX market.  I'd love to see the MA back as well, it'd be a better boat for my family of four than my current boat but still allow me to fish where I like to. 

• Like 2

Where did this rumor start? I musta missed it  

When I did a factory tour I asked them why they quit building a few hulls and  of course asked about the MA...the answer was they only sold 7 (I think) of em the last year as opposed to a ton of pathfinders. They were well aware of the buzz for them on the forum but said new boat sales sung a completely different tune and guys were buying bay boats.  

I could def see getting rid of the redfisher and bringing back the MA 18.5 but I would be surprised to see the 21 for the above reason.  

11 hours ago, justfish said:

Where did this rumor start? I musta missed it  

When I did a factory tour I asked them why they quit building a few hulls and  of course asked about the MA...the answer was they only sold 7 (I think) of em the last year as opposed to a ton of pathfinders. They were well aware of the buzz for them on the forum but said new boat sales sung a completely different tune and guys were buying bay boats.  

I could def see getting rid of the redfisher and bringing back the MA 18.5 but I would be surprised to see the 21 for the above reason.  

MBC posted a 21 on Instagram on Thursday and alluded to possible reproduction. I heard from someone else that MA production might be coming back....  I totally understand the 21s not selling with 22 Pathfinders right there too. I don't understand the 18 Master Angler... that boat will outsell a RF all day. At least in my irrelevant opinion. It's hard for me not to think like that when 2-3 year old RFs are for sale at 10-15k under the purchase price and a 15-20 year old MA with a 15-20 year old motor can still fetch around 20k consistently. 

• Like 1

The added production capacity that MBG will gain from all that extra space in the new plant facilities is a game changer.  I would guess that when the bay boat craze started, space to build more Pathfinders was a serious consideration in the decision to discontinue the MA line.  Now, MBG will have more freedom to market more products and be more selective in targeting a variety of consumers.  With such flexibility, MBG could start offering things like limited production, limited edition, special edition, classics, value series, elite series, etc.  Just my opinion, but the Maverick skiffs (and the MA if it happens) should continue to be marketed as a high-end boat, made with the finest production technologies and materials such as VARIS, Carbon/Kevlar(optional), vinyl ester resins and gel coats, etc.  And they should charge a premium for it.  It seems to be working well for other high-end flats boat companies who cater to a select group.  It obviously works for the auto industry.  Toyota has Lexus, Honda has Acura, Nissan has Infinity.... and the Chevrolet Corvette costs a few bucks more than a Malibu.  I love my Hewes Redfisher 16.  I got a lot of boat for my money.  But now I'm thinking a new MA 21 with a 250 SHO, bow-up, running on the Pad, is definitely on my Wish List!  Fun to dream about anyway.

• Thanks 1

Here's what they need to do - the Maverick line is geared toward technical poling skiffs.  Putting the MA back in that line will muddy the waters, so to speak.  All they need to do is use the MA hull on the Redfisher name - stays true to the Hewes branding, but gives the Redfisher the hull it always needed.  Keep the plush topside of the redfisher and BAM - you have a winner.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Here's what they need to do - the Maverick line is geared toward technical poling skiffs.  Putting the MA back in that line will muddy the waters, so to speak.  All they need to do is use the MA hull on the Redfisher name - stays true to the Hewes branding, but gives the Redfisher the hull it always needed.  Keep the plush topside of the redfisher and BAM - you have a winner.

You're joking right? All that MA love and you're willing to just give the name up?  I had a guy today (as a matter of fact) compliment the Smurf because it WAS a Master Angler. Hell, he was even aware of the strong following the Master Anglers had. I'm not sure that conversation would've happened in a RF. Or it would've been, "The Redfisher is basically a Master Angler with a Redfisher name....." I'm not sure the MA hull with the RF name would ever be good enough. (I'm not as willing to give the name up)

I'm really not trying to knock the redfisher. The redfisher is a good platform with some things I'd like to see in a MA. The large console where electronics can be flush mounted and a large bilge access that doesn't eat knuckles, elbows and patience.

All this is just my humble, irrelevant, internet opinion. 

• Haha 1