Storm Shutters

SCFD rtrd.

In past storms I had wind blown water coming in from every part of the windows and doors. I even had water coming throw the lead glass pieces on my front door.

I used clear siliconed caulk all around the outside of the windows that I later pulled off (some of it that I left in place until hurricane season is over). My wife thought we were sealing our selves in...but it worked !

The door I had replace with a hurricane rated door that only had water coming under the door sweep

I found "aqua ***"... even their smallest at 50' way too large for my need.   Looked at the absorbent bags (see post above) and not sure would work..like sandbags they saturate .  Haven't tried, but the link to Home Depot seems like right idea

Home Depot

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Quick-Dam-12-in-x-24-in-Expanding-Barriers-6-Pack-QD1224-6/203556244

http://aquadam.net/

Well this will not work as smallest one they make is 50' long

3 hours ago, johnd said:

I found "aqua ***"... even their smallest at 50' way too large for my need.   Looked at the absorbent bags (see post above) and not sure would work..like sandbags they saturate .  Haven't tried, but the link to Home Depot seems like right idea

Home Depot

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Quick-Dam-12-in-x-24-in-Expanding-Barriers-6-Pack-QD1224-6/203556244

http://aquadam.net/

Well this will not work as smallest one they make is 50' long

From what I read on the website, the quick dam will not work in salt water. I have a problem with rising tide that is blown by wind.

Why wouldn't it work with salt water?  I was seriously looking at them and a few competitors prior to Irma and never saw that. My main concern would be punturing from debris. That and you'd have to maintain some sort of pumps INSIDE the dam to keep from flooding from inside. Your prob gonna lose power ....me, working for FD, I don't have the ability to stay home and maintain generators to control that.  

I read the HD product, seems the same as other..absorbs water with some type of polymer.   Darn.  All I want is a hotdog shaped bag I can fill to create a ***.  For now, heavy lawn garbage bags filled with water is my solution for keeping flood from son's garage 

Client of mine built a home in middle keys a few years ago. Small but nice. 10 or 12' high with metal roof. He used Anderson impact windows & doors with accordion shutters to cover them for storms like Irma. He had sum fascia & gutter damage but no water intrusion in the home.

My home in Pompano Bch has mostly PGT impact windows & doors; the impacts facing S & SE leaked a little during the storm but my TV room (which faces same directions) has old school Security windows with accordion shutters over them and did not have any leaks. My camper in the Glades had no glass, hatch or door protection and didn't have any water intrusion.....go figure!?! 

When I build a home in the sticks of FL a few years from now it will be up in the air a few feet and away from large trees with metal roof, Anderson impact glass, accordion shutters & Generac natural gas generator. No discussion. 

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 2:46 PM, justfish said:

Why wouldn't it work with salt water?  I was seriously looking at them and a few competitors prior to Irma and never saw that. My main concern would be punturing from debris. That and you'd have to maintain some sort of pumps INSIDE the dam to keep from flooding from inside. Your prob gonna lose power ....me, working for FD, I don't have the ability to stay home and maintain generators to control that.  

Their Q&A site does not recommend using a polymer product in salt water. Did not explain why.

Archived