Hewes 18 vs maverick

Damanlee

Since the OP said he'd be running shallow creeks, what's the real world difference in running depth of a MA18 vs a HPX18? I've only spent one day on a guides HPX but it sure seemed to be able to run across shallow areas that I wouldn't try with my MA. At reasonable speeds that is. Both can run shallow at max speed but at normal speeds, say 30 mph, I'm sure the MA runs lower in the water than a lighter HPX.

• Like 1

When it comes to running depth, the biggest variable will be whether or not the boat is equipped with a jack plate.  That's going to represent a +/- 6" difference by itself.   Assuming both boats are running with the engine fully jacked up, I can't imagine more than 2" of difference, but that's just a wild speculation on my part.  

I'd love to know for certain, though.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wthree3 said:

Since the OP said he'd be running shallow creeks, what's the real world difference in running depth of a MA18 vs a HPX18? I've only spent one day on a guides HPX but it sure seemed to be able to run across shallow areas that I wouldn't try with my MA. At reasonable speeds that is. Both can run shallow at max speed but at normal speeds, say 30 mph, I'm sure the MA runs lower in the water than a lighter HPX.

If you run at speed and are worried about inches you gonna pile it up. The boats are going to hit at 30 mph or 60 if on plane.

The results will be 60 to zero or 30 to zero.

The only difference will be what hits first, the bow or the transom and skeg..

Unless your in an air boat running at speed you have no business being there if an inch or two can make a difference.

There is a reason there are not published drafts on any flats boats at speed. Many will run in spit until that one thing is sticking up 2 inches above the bottom.

• Like 2

I have an 07 and love the layout and the ride is phenomenal ( once up and over) in imo. And yes, do not bother with the F115.  I truly cant understand how MBG sold that boat equipped with that motor. I've proped, ported and done everything in between, if you have a full live well and 2 people, with gear, its sloooowww to plane. This winter ill have a F150. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, VsteveV said:

I have an 07 and love the layout and the ride is phenomenal ( once up and over) in imo. And yes, do not bother with the F115.  I truly cant understand how MBG sold that boat equipped with that motor. I've proped, ported and done everything in between, if you have a full live well and 2 people, with gear, its sloooowww to plane. This winter ill have a F150. 

I ran a 4 blade stern lifter on my F115 2003....I had no issues with hole shot....

dc

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VsteveV said:

I ran a same prop, a PT SCD17 4 blade and even ported it to allow the motor to spin up a little quicker. Not acceptable to me. It gets the job done, but that motor just dosent have the umph. If anyone is interested in a F115 in excellect shape send me a PM.

I fished mostly with 1 other person and light use of livewell for shrimp...I found it be satisfactory......but, again, if you are looking for one boat length pop up, 2 or more people, coolers and full wells, fuel, etc.  I agree....it won't work...

DC

5 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

I fished mostly with 1 other person and light use of livewell for shrimp...I found it be satisfactory......but, again, if you are looking for one boat length pop up, 2 or more people, coolers and full wells, fuel, etc.  I agree....it won't work...

DC

Have not been in one with the f115, but with my 150vmax, it literally feels like the boat could flip backwards out of the hole with the tabs fully up.  It shoots straight out of the hole with them down just a tick however. I do have a 6" hydraulic Bob's jp, 3 blade ss prop with no markings, factory I assume

i have an 01 redfisher 18 with a 115 yamaha 4 stroke and i am also in jacksonville, lots of good accurate advice in here if you fish similar to me in Jax where you are running up and down the river fishing the tide then you will enjoy the 18, it handles chop surprisingly well of course trim tabs are a must but i consistently hit 45mph with 3 people and if its just me i have seen as high as 50 going with the tide. i would love to put a 150 sho on it as I always want to go faster but i am perfectly fine with the 115 trim tabs all the way down and it will jump up on plane fairly quick. i dont fish too shallow so thats not of a concern with me, I do agree its not a boat that you want to pole around a flat though.

• Like 1

Learning..thanks for all input (as usual).  I fish an old RF, neighbor has an 18MA.   Seems his MA rides smoother than my RF. I like his platform.  That said, the old Lappy floats with 2 people & too much gear in 11-12" of water.  Pretty easy to Pole. Easy to push off or over sandbar (been there done that).   If all I did was pole in really skinny water, the RF would not be my choice.   But 80% of the time I fish alone, use TM in 18-24" of water, run cross the river in a chop (RF runs into a chop great, but wet when running with the wind/chop). The older hulls are not, at least mine isn't, a 50mph boat.  There's a lot of MBC owners in your area, if some would be kind enough to take you on various models, might help your decision.  (You could always have them take you to your favorite secret spots in exchange for a ride..😊 )

Let's us know what you get and why you chose.  All the best

• Like 1

OK, here goes. I am ready for a slamming from all the MA (great boats no doubt) owners! I really love my 2000 Light Tackle 18, which became the 18 Redfisher immediately after the lapstrake hull design went into mothballs. It's a great boat: 7'11" wide, 18'10" long, 1050 pounds, and runs 46 mph with 2 anglers, 35+ gallons of gas, and normal ice, drinks, and tackle. The 2 stroke 130 is thirsty by today's standards, but she  jumps on plane and sounds awesome, despite killing a few mosquitoes at idle. The flip up seat is cool and puts the Skipper and 2 anglers low to the waterline for a comfortable long run. I particularly appreciate the 2 insulated hatches on the bow, and the release well on the port quarter, which is also insulated and serves as a great fishbox. Tons of additional storage in the large bow hatch. Also, the large rear livewell will keep pilchards alive all day. The vessel poles with relative ease (if you are in shape, which is a must) and powers along nicely with a 70 pound thrust 24 volt trolling motor. She's a little bouncy in the chop, but that's what trim tabs are for in the hands of an experienced pilot. Just don't try to break any water speed records... It's a big fishing platform that floats in less than a foot of water with ease. Considering the pricing on these right now, if you can find one or a similar Redfisher, it's definitely worth considering. Not to mention how easily she tows. And if you're lucky enough to get one with a 150, hang on. JMHO! 

• Like 1

No slamming at all from this MA owner - I think any MA or Redfisher owner would agree that it's a matter of degrees - great vs. greater and a lot of personal opinion playing into the equation.  If I hadn't fallen into my first MA, and had found a Redfisher instead, I'd be happy as a pig with it.   

You can't go wrong, just a matter of going "rightest" for you.

• Like 1

On October 1, 2017 at 9:02 AM, johnd said:

Learning..thanks for all input (as usual).  I fish an old RF, neighbor has an 18MA.   Seems his MA rides smoother than my RF. I like his platform.  That said, the old Lappy floats with 2 people & too much gear in 11-12" of water.  Pretty easy to Pole. Easy to push off or over sandbar (been there done that).   If all I did was pole in really skinny water, the RF would not be my choice.   But 80% of the time I fish alone, use TM in 18-24" of water, run cross the river in a chop (RF runs into a chop great, but wet when running with the wind/chop). The older hulls are not, at least mine isn't, a 50mph boat.  There's a lot of MBC owners in your area, if some would be kind enough to take you on various models, might help your decision.  (You could always have them take you to your favorite secret spots in exchange for a ride..😊 )

Let's us know what you get and why you chose.  All the best

I could def do that :D

• 1 year later...