Baitwell leaking between deck and live well tub

JEM

I am going to have to get upside down and seal and/or reseal between the deck and my main rear center baitwell tub.  I am curious what product would be best to last the longest, with an understanding that there obviously has to be some flexing going on at that "joint."    My choices would be 5200/4200,  or Boatlife Life Caulk, or just silicone caulk.   Any thoughts or advice? 

Boat Life Caulk is a good choice. 

That was probably one of the most awkward fixes I had to do, only because you can't get your eyes and hands and sealant in there all at the same time.  It took me several rounds of spreading it in by feel before I had it effectively sealed all the way around.  What a mess.  Cover the bottom of the well with paper or a towell 1st.

6 hours ago, JEM said:

I am going to have to get upside down and seal and/or reseal between the deck and my main rear center baitwell tub.  I am curious what product would be best to last the longest, with an understanding that there obviously has to be some flexing going on at that "joint."    My choices would be 5200/4200,  or Boatlife Life Caulk, or just silicone caulk.   Any thoughts or advice? 

any of the above except 5200. used way too much in the wrong places. jmo

I like Boat-Life caulking personally. The secrete is to clean everything first. I'd start by cleaning with dawn dishwashing detergent first (maybe using a toilet bowl brush). Let that dry, then clean again with acetone. I have a mirror with a handle that I use for projects like that. You can get a cheap mirror at the dollar store, just make sure it's 5 or 6 inches wide.

Archived