Trailer lock

Ohson

It don't matter. Couplers can be unbolted from the trailer & replaced in about 1 minute. Locks, cables & chains can be cut in seconds. The insurance industry stats on those trailer theft deterrents show that they're nearly worthless. 

No lock can offer 100% guarantee but if you want a robust deterrent, try one of these wheel locks: 

https://equipmentlock.com/product/heavy-duty-wheel-lock/

Unless the thieves have access to wheel dollies & flatbed tow truck or have an hour+ window to weld thru the arms of this wheel lock, your trailer & boat won't go anywhere. 

Yep!!! Another method a thief uses, is to wrap the chains around his ball and tow it to a hidden place, then cut the lock. It would be just as easy for you to remove the trailer coupler and chains when the boat is stored. Just remove two bolts and throw everything in the back of your truck. Only takes two wrenches and less than 5 min. to reinstall.

10 hours ago, DonV said:

Just get a folding trailer hitch. Replace the hinge pin/bolt with another removable pin.  Take it off when you store it, park it, etc.. No ball hitch, no theft.

http://www.fultonperformance.com/products/trailer-couplers/fold-away-couplers/trailer-tongue-bolt-on-hinge-kit/cWx03ACJNXPp|hOHX!BOfG2KeKrpSkgMbKEw1q5s0BM=

It's a good deterrent but a pro boat thief will remove the end of that thing and bolt on a coupler within minutes. I know this because I've seen a boat insurance video presentation of how easy it is to do. It's even easier and faster to cut a lock, chain, cable, etc. I'm telling you, the only way to go is a wheel lock or boot and even those aren't 100% if a thief has enough time to weld thru them. 

Unfortunately nothing will totally protect your boat,but you can make it undesirable to go after,like remove tires and coupler.  I saw a pair of lower units removed from a boat on a lift.  Owner was gone for the summer and will get the surprise when he returns .  Thieves stink!!!!

Archived