Water pump on a 2000 F115 4 stroke

Leatherneck

This is Leatherneck formally Stumpy.  Just changed my impeller and associated parts.  During reassembly I installed the drive shaft spacer and the drive shaft collar, pulled up on the drive shaft, set the spacer and collar and then installed the lower unit.  By the way, I did all of this while the motor was in neutral.  When I cranked the motor,  it pumped water with water coming from the telltale (sp) but when I engaged into gear there was a steady tapping of the drive shaft.

What should I do disassemble and reinstall the drive shaft spacer and collar or what?  Any help appreciated.

Thanks, hope all you guys have been well.

31 minutes ago, Leatherneck said:

This is Leatherneck formally Stumpy.  Just changed my impeller and associated parts.  During reassembly I installed the drive shaft spacer and the drive shaft collar, pulled up on the drive shaft, set the spacer and collar and then installed the lower unit.  By the way, I did all of this while the motor was in neutral.  When I cranked the motor,  it pumped water with water coming from the telltale (sp) but when I engaged into gear there was a steady tapping of the drive shaft.

What should I do disassemble and reinstall the drive shaft spacer and collar or what?  Any help appreciated.

Sounds like something is wrong..I'm not sure what you are referring to as the "collar".

should not "tap"...there are 1/2 doz you tube videos on how to do this...I've done it to my boats at least 4 times.

make sure you did not put the impeller in backwards..meaning, it must be in the cup in a specific way or it will shoot the water backwards vs up the shaft.

Again, hard to diagnose without pics...but, Youtube should solve this in about 5 mins once you see it.

good luck

dc

15 hours ago, Leatherneck said:

Are you running it out of water on a hose?  If you are it may be prop noise.  SS props are heavy and make a lot of racket out of water because the engine is spinning the gearcase faster than the prop wants to go (If that makes sense!)

Archived