Maverick 17, 1998

tiburon8u

On 10/16/2017 at 6:51 AM, FLDXT said:

I have a 99 17MA with a DF140, I wouldn't go any heavier. I wouldn't put a DF150 on mine 

How does the 140 perform? I have been looking at those very closely.  From my reading, a lot of people seem to think the HP isn’t rated accurately and they are a good bit shy of a true 140.  What year is yours?

6 hours ago, Derrick929 said:

How does the 140 perform? I have been looking at those very closely.  From my reading, a lot of people seem to think the HP isn’t rated accurately and they are a good bit shy of a true 140.  What year is yours?

Mine is an 04, like I said in abother post, the older ones are geared low, you loSE some top end, but I spin a big 4 blade prop, jump up and burn little fuel, but I'm not gonna win a race. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. But you definitely know it's there, it's as heavy as I would want for this boat.

15 hours ago, FLDXT said:

Mine is an 04, like I said in abother post, the older ones are geared low, you loSE some top end, but I spin a big 4 blade prop, jump up and burn little fuel, but I'm not gonna win a race. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. But you definitely know it's there, it's as heavy as I would want for this boat.

Your correct I did already ask that.....sorry for the dup, my memory ain’t what it use to be.

I loaded a Merc 115 pro XS on my 2000' 17" MA and it runs great, still doing some prop testing and breaking in but it's already pushing up 48 mph , my hope is 51-52.  I wouldn't go bigger, that hull will ride low enough on the stern, my goal was to reduce weight.  Speed is fun but at the risk of tearing up the boat not for me....

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, tiburon8u said:

Thanks folks. I reconsider the reporter and went with a smaller Hp. Suzuki 115 SS. Thanks for all the advise

The VF 115 SHO Yamaha is 377 lbs. . Lots of low end power that gives a great hole shot. Call Family Boating Center in Tampa . They are a repower center and should be able to take care of all your needs . 

22 hours ago, tiburon8u said:

Thanks folks. I reconsider the reporter and went with a smaller Hp. Suzuki 115 SS. Thanks for all the advise

What influenced your decision to go with the Suzuki 115SS? What is the difference between a 115 and a 115 SS?

Give us a report when you get it dialed in, I am interested in how it performs.

Archived