Seastar Maintenance

RedfishRippn

1 hour ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

If it ain't leaking and the steering is ok, about the only thing I can think of is to run new fluid through the system. It's amazing how much junk (sediment) gets in the system. Don't know where it comes from, but it's there.

This^^^^^^^

It is a vented system and the fluid has an affinity to moisture. I would say flush and replace every 3 plus years. Not what you would expect from a supposed hermetically sealed system but it is what is is.

Moisture will get in there some how. Fluid gets brown and down hill from there over time.

The Seastar manual (on their website) outlines maintenance which includes an annual greasing of the rod ends and linkage and checking the fluid for contamination. I generally flush and regrease about once a year. Very easy job and takes about a half hour at most. To do the flush you'll need a helper to man the helm and the hose/fitting assembly to add fluid to the helm. The hose assembly can be purchased from Seastar or made with a few cheap parts from a hardware store.

Almost 2 quarts for my HPX. I actually rebuilt mine last year. Pretty painless once you get over the shock of paying $45 for a few o-rings and a gasket. I also keep some ATF fluid in a condiment bottle and lightly coat the rod ends on the steering cylinder and the trim/tilt cylinders, keeps the seals lubricated and keeps the rods from pitting and tearing the seals.

Was just going to research flushing out the old fluid and replacing with new... Every now and then I perform the bleed procedure cause the steering starts getting a lil hinky and the fluid that comes out is getting increasingly darker.  To do the flush are you simply doing the same thing as the bleed procedure just letting a lot more fluid out taking new in to complete the exchange?  Also I'm pretty sure FLDXT rebuilt his and Teleflex or someone told him to use atf to clean out the insides good and flush it out then replace hyd fluid, maybe he'll chime in

21 hours ago, FINCHASER said:

Was just going to research flushing out the old fluid and replacing with new... Every now and then I perform the bleed procedure cause the steering starts getting a lil hinky and the fluid that comes out is getting increasingly darker.  To do the flush are you simply doing the same thing as the bleed procedure just letting a lot more fluid out taking new in to complete the exchange?  Also I'm pretty sure FLDXT rebuilt his and Teleflex or someone told him to use atf to clean out the insides good and flush it out then replace hyd fluid, maybe he'll chime in

Yep, I'd like to hear about that. A few years ago, I was having trouble with the helm in my old bay boat. Figured I'd open the helm and take a look. Man, you would not believe the stuff that was attached to the valves, springs and passages in the bottom of the helm. So, If a good cleaning with ATF will do the trick, I'm all for it.

I rebuily.my helm, more or less just cleaned it out, it was on the boat when I got it and I was having problems. Teleflex is very hesitant to sell parts or give detailed advice, due to liability. I went in blind, soaked/cleaned what I could and replaced what I could find, got me through another year and a half. They did tell me via phone to flush with ATF then replace. Below is acceptable substitutes as the Teleflex fluid is ridiculous, they meet the same military specs as the seastar fluid from what I understand.. Alot of debate as to what can be used, but below was the most comprehensive list I could find. Use at your own risk, my .02 is I would flush with atf, and full replace with acceptable fluid and find someone with a power purge to bleed it.

Screenshot_2017-05-27-23-11-19.png

Archived