2200 V Repower Prop Confusion

Mike45q

I re-powered my 2003 2200 V with Tee Top from a 200 VMAX HPDI to a 200 VMAX SHO. I tested the that new motor with the PowerTech OFX4 19" that I have run since 2003-2004. Results were 47-48 MPH at WOT at 5400-5500 RPM. Jackplate was optimized to 3" high and Trim at 2-3.  I calculated prop slip at approximately 13%.

So I talked to Marcus at PT an d we agree to try a OFX-4 17.  Now here is the confusing part. Teat run with the new 17" prop were basically the same. 47.5 MPH at WOT of 5400RPM. Jackplate and trim were the same as the 19"trial at 3"  and 2. I did confirm props are 19"  and 17" based on the numbers PT has on the prop hub. Calculated Slip at 4.4%

Can anybody help with whats going on? I know the 19" prop is 10 years old so can the pich change? Are the prop designs the same ?

19" CLY2000OFX4R19P

17" OFX4R17PCL 200

Thanks In Advance

Unless you have the props checked by a reputable prop shop, you really don't know what you have.  I have been told by a reputable prop shop guy that PT can and does send out props that can vary from prop to prop.  I have no reason to think he was lying to me. 

JEM is right on saying props can be off right out of the box and not just from PT but all manufactures.  Also different manufactures measure pitch differently,  there is a reason some send brand new props off to prop shops.

As for a prop changing pitch over time, I think it would be unlikely unless you hit something.  Overtime your prop will loose cupping, it's edge, surface, ect.  Just taking a stab in the dark here but if your 19 has lost it cupping it is not going to have the grip it once had and thus you will have higher slip.

The prop part numbers you have looks like one part number split up.  A OFX style prop for Yamaha would be OFX4R19CLY200 and OFX417CLY200. 

Archived