2001 Maverick 18.5 Master Angler - $17500 (Fort Myers)

FMB MEGALOPS

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bet someone's weekend plans gonna change quick when they see this. I'm not even one of the big MA fan boys around here, (although they're coming😬)but if things were different for me right now I'd be seriously considering picking this up if  it's as advertised. As popular as they are, if you took care of it, you'd never lose $ on this, likely make some.  That 150 Vmax is a beast and prob the perfect motor for that hull

Do your homework on this boat if you go look!  I saw this ad a few days ago and was going to look wondering how it was not sold, and asked a friend up in that area to check it out for me first.  He heard through someone else that looked at this boat that it's on consignment with a dealer and things seemed real sketchy.  Apparently the hour meter / tach gauge looked new and the gauge right next to it was sun damaged and clearly looked older.  Also the boat has some small blistering all over the sides and some of it looked sanded.  No idea what that would be all about, but all of this was enough of a warning for me to not even go look. Even the ad reads sketchy.  But I have no first hand knowledge so just buyer beware as it did not sound normal.  If someone does go see it please report back.  Maybe it's a great deal, or maybe you will save someone a real headache.  I have been shopping for quite awhile and things I have read on here have really saved me!

16 minutes ago, daygator said:

Do your homework on this boat if you go look!  I saw this ad a few days ago and was going to look wondering how it was not sold, and asked a friend up in that area to check it out for me first.  He heard through someone else that looked at this boat that it's on consignment with a dealer and things seemed real sketchy.  Apparently the hour meter / tach gauge looked new and the gauge right next to it was sun damaged and clearly looked older.  Also the boat has some small blistering all over the sides and some of it looked sanded.  No idea what that would be all about, but all of this was enough of a warning for me to not even go look. Even the ad reads sketchy.  But I have no first hand knowledge so just buyer beware as it did not sound normal.  If someone does go see it please report back.  Maybe it's a great deal, or maybe you will save someone a real headache.  I have been shopping for quite awhile and things I have read on here have really saved me!

Wow, that's great info daygator! I wasn't going to look at it for me to purchased, but just to see what a 2001 MA would look like if it indeed had under 100hrs on it. I would be very skeptical as well. However, if you hire a marine surveyor and have it professionally verified, it maybe a great deal anyways. I bet the reserve is around $15,000. As long as it's structurally sound underneath and the motor checks out, the hours are not that important for a 2001 legend IMO! 

Ads at boat dealers sometimes are posted by non-fishing type employee's who really don't know the correct verbiage to say with a boat like this.

Are you specifically looking for a 18 MA? Where are you located? 

27 minutes ago, daygator said:

FYI,

I just asked the dealer via email  to supply some dash and compartment photo's as well as verification of the hours. We'll see what response I get. I'll be driving by there next week so I'll stop if it's still there and take some pics. 

I've been looking at ALL kinds of stuff. I'm not loyal to any one brand or model.  Just looking for an older flats to use while I'm in FL.  I live part time in Pine Island and part time up north.  I am pretty good with motors so higher hours by themselves wouldn't bother me (but dishonesty would, if that is the case).  But once I heard about the blistering on this one i was out.  If the boat's hours aren't accurate and it really was stored in the water a lot, what else wouldn't I know?  It just sounded like some effort was put into hiding stuff and I just didn't even bother.  Good luck if you make a move on this one maybe it's all good and a great buy.

7 minutes ago, daygator said:

I've been looking at ALL kinds of stuff. I'm not loyal to any one brand or model.  Just looking for an older flats to use while I'm in FL.  I live part time in Pine Island and part time up north.  I am pretty good with motors so higher hours by themselves wouldn't bother me (but dishonesty would, if that is the case).  But once I heard about the blistering on this one i was out.  If the boat's hours aren't accurate and it really was stored in the water a lot, what else wouldn't I know?  It just sounded like some effort was put into hiding stuff and I just didn't even bother.  Good luck if you make a move on this one maybe it's all good and a great buy.

I understand. There's a whole thread on here about the blistering if you're interested in the reasoning of it. Good luck with your search. 

2 hours ago, Nag Juice said:

I saw that one too. Thought it was a little high but the whole supply vs demand is always the deal with these. 

I wish there were more 21' MA'S popping up with 4 strokes. 

Houston line was hilarious, but true! 

Well I quests was wrong.  But Dang... another MA with these “blisters”? 

I’d be beyond skeptical if the gauges seemed tampered with for sure. Not so much for the actual hours but the lack of knowledge or outright dishonesty.  Don’t think they can pull the hours off the OX66 motors but may be wrong. 

9 hours ago, justfish said:

I’d be beyond skeptical if the gauges seemed tampered with for sure. Not so much for the actual hours but the lack of knowledge or outright dishonesty.  Don’t think they can pull the hours off the OX66 motors but may be wrong. 

Why isn't this the same boat with blisters? Same color, same story as before about the owners and boat. 

1 hour ago, Nag Juice said:

Why isn't this the same boat with blisters? Same color, same story as before about the owners and boat. 

Not exactly sure what your asking me cause I'm not really  familiar with the story of either of em (other than what I read on this thread) but the motor on the FB one is an HPDI, the motor in this ad is an OX66

I originally looked at this ad on my phone, now that I see it on bigger screen it doesn't appear to line up near as well with description.  That sure looks like a well polished skeg  for under 100hrs 

36 minutes ago, justfish said:

Not exactly sure what your asking me cause I'm not really  familiar with the story of either of em (other than what I read on this thread) but the motor on the FB one is an HPDI, the motor in this ad is an OX66

Oh ok, there was a thread in the general section a week or two ago about a boat this color, with this story. It went a couple pages bc it had blisters etc. I'm thinking it's the same boat.

14 hours ago, justfish said:

What's crazy is my 2003 MA 18 was painted in 2013 and it too had blisters through the new paint. They would come and go and I never left my boat in the water for an extended period of time. 

So I got the response below with more pics from the dealer. To me, it sounds and looks like a real gem! A real once in a lifetime opportunity to see a 18 MA in this condition. Look how white everything is! If anyone is thinking of a MA to buy this seems to be the real deal and their starting price is $17,500! 

Thoughts now? 

The hour meter has been questioned with 39 hours , the seller told me he knows under 100 hours . The boat stayed in the garage of the sellers vacation house on Sanibel . The seller only came to town once a year and some years he used a guide boat not the Maverick some years . It was that guide that brought the seller to me .

0F740D5289164570902C364F82D8A4F6.jpg

Maverick 11.jpg

Maverick 10.jpg

Maverick 12.jpg

Based on these pics and some from the CL add, I believe the hours of around 100.  Anyone who owns an MA around these years, knows what color these hatches will turn after some exposure to light.  The hatches on this boat are still white, the switch panel looks to not be faded,  in one pic the throttle still looks new, also it still has the original cooler that came with the boat.

Gauges go bad, you can look at the boat and get fair idea of hours and this looks to match the hours. Of course, I would prefer to hear the story from the owner over a dealer. If I was in the market for an MA, I would run and get this boat.

I could care less about blisters, they won't hurt anything and boat of this age will need repaint at some point anyway.  The guy who walked away from this boat because of blisters, missed out on whats looks to be a great boat. No way you will find a boat of this age without some issues. If you want perfection buy new, cause you won't find it in a 16 year old boat!

My biggest concern would be its advertised with less than 100 hrs on a 15 year old motor with no paint on the skeg. I'm guessing the gauge has been changed or added later....that's not a show stopper, but be honest with folks. It may be a great boat structurally and runs good too....who knows without looking at it. 

Seems like maybe we ain't getting the " whole" enchilada on this one, JMHO.

Archived