2001 Maverick 18.5 Master Angler - $17500 (Fort Myers)

FMB MEGALOPS

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, hurricane said:

Based on these pics and some from the CL add, I believe the hours of around 100.  Anyone who owns an MA around these years, knows what color these hatches will turn after some exposure to light.  The hatches on this boat are still white, the switch panel looks to not be faded,  in one pic the throttle still looks new, also it still has the original cooler that came with the boat.

Gauges go bad, you can look at the boat and get fair idea of hours and this looks to match the hours. Of course, I would prefer to hear the story from the owner over a dealer. If I was in the market for an MA, I would run and get this boat.

I could care less about blisters, they won't hurt anything and boat of this age will need repaint at some point anyway.  The guy who walked away from this boat because of blisters, missed out on whats looks to be a great boat. No way you will find a boat of this age without some issues. If you want perfection buy new, cause you won't find it in a 16 year old boat!

Well said and right on point. "We" all know the true value of this model and for this price point you just can't go wrong. It will be gone by the weekend. 

Im confused. This isn't the same boat on the FB ad right? Is it the one from the other thread with blisters?  

Im not in market unfortunately but just gotta add this.....I have same motor 2003 with 650 hrs and have less than half that amount of paint missing. Maybe a different lower unit or paint, maybe pics can be deceiving I guess but that thing looks well worn to me... not like you’d expect from 100 hours....Just doesn’t seem right 

1E98D592-1787-4012-8956-432FE1DB82A0.png

Accurate comments on here showing apparent motor age, and you can also see from the very first pic he sent that the gauge on the left (with hours) does indeed look new and the other one looks like the typical sunburn.  If you are going to do it and act like yuo didn't, at least change them both!!  Anyways interesting comments on the blisters if those are also on this boat.  guy writes that the boat was kept in garage and only used one time a year?  If that is true then there would not be any blistering plain and simple.  There are comments suggesting that these would be normal for a boat this age but I strongly disagree.  Also even if the sight of them wouldn't drive you  bonkers you can't just paint the hull and go on your merry way.  As used any blisters will only get worse and removing the gel coat and painting is no simple (or cheap!) job.  but regardless or of motor condition or blisters or anything else that might be wrong with the boat I'm an old fart that grew up in a day when honesty meant something and this boat looks far from it.  To each their own but that's enough for me to not even look.  if anyone buys this boat here please post what happened so we see fact from fiction!    

11 minutes ago, daygator said:

Accurate comments on here showing apparent motor age, and you can also see from the very first pic he sent that the gauge on the left (with hours) does indeed look new and the other one looks like the typical sunburn.  If you are going to do it and act like yuo didn't, at least change them both!!  Anyways interesting comments on the blisters if those are also on this boat.  guy writes that the boat was kept in garage and only used one time a year?  If that is true then there would not be any blistering plain and simple.  There are comments suggesting that these would be normal for a boat this age but I strongly disagree.  Also even if the sight of them wouldn't drive you  bonkers you can't just paint the hull and go on your merry way.  As used any blisters will only get worse and removing the gel coat and painting is no simple (or cheap!) job.  but regardless or of motor condition or blisters or anything else that might be wrong with the boat I'm an old fart that grew up in a day when honesty meant something and this boat looks far from it.  To each their own but that's enough for me to not even look.  if anyone buys this boat here please post what happened so we see fact from fiction!    

There was a long story about blisters in another thread. I can tell you the blisters these boats experience are not from being left in the water, and no blisters are normal. Im sure there are MA's out there that have blister due to being left in the water. However, the 3-4 boats with blisters I have seen have not been left in the water.

10 hours ago, justfish said:

Im confused. This isn't the same boat on the FB ad right? Is it the one from the other thread with blisters?  

Im not in market unfortunately but just gotta add this.....I have same motor 2003 with 650 hrs and have less than half that amount of paint missing. Maybe a different lower unit or paint, maybe pics can be deceiving I guess but that thing looks well worn to me... not like you’d expect from 100 hours....Just doesn’t seem right 

1E98D592-1787-4012-8956-432FE1DB82A0.png

This is not the same boat that is in the Facebook link, but I believe this to be the same boat that was the center of the blister thread.

You have a different motor than the MA for sale in this post. Your motor is an HPDI the MA has an OX66. That said, the lower unit is probably the same. Skeg paint is not a determining factor of hours. I could knock the paint off a brand new lower over the weekend, before the motor even finished the break in!

5 hours ago, VS- 21MasterAngler said:

Hey Guys,

Since I lost my MA21 and there really aren't to many 21's on the market, I plan on going to take a look at the MA18.5 that this thread was posted about... This boat is in my town so I think it may be worth a look. Is there anything in particular that I should look for? 

Thanks!

Yes, just realize even if all true on hours, this boat has sat for very long extended periods of time. Think the opposite of lots of hours and think lack of use for the age. Rodents, bugs...etc....I would get a marine surveyor or get a camera with wand to get below deck to see wiring, tubing etc...Even if some damage, very easy to fix those kind of issues. 

I think the boat is going to be amazingly pristine. The motor is what I would have reservations about. However, get a full service and replace anything that may be deteriorated due to sitting without use and you may have a real pearl! Heck sell the motor and re power and you're still under $20K net with a ridiculous classic. 

If this was a 21' MA. It would be in my driveway BTW. Yes, I know it would have been for more $, but when I look at those hatches alone I just shake my head in amazement!

Please, keep us posted even if you don't buy it. I'm in FMB if you want another set of eyes to take a look as well. Just PM me and let me know when you're going to look at it. I've owned a 2003 18 MA so I'm familiar with this hull.  

As posted above I did not look at this boat but my curiosity if someone from here looks is defintely there.  Please report back one way or the other.  From the pictures and the other "evidence" described here, it sure looks pretty darn clear that the hour gauge has been replaced and the hours are not accurate.  The ad states just the opposite so just know up front that you won't be getting the true story on anything.  Add in the hull blistering (if it's there I don't see any pics) and also that you are on the clock for cutting out the gas tank any given day, and I think that covers biggest ticket items.  You just have to go in knowing what it could cost you in the end and make sure it's worth it to you.  If this boat was some amazing good deal being advertised in SW Florida it would be long sold.  I'm guessing plenty of folks went to grab the deal and then walked away or it wouldn't be sitting there on the lot.  That right there should tell you something even if you ignore the dishonesty that is going on.  But i'm shocked every day at what people are paying for 15 year old boats so what do I know.  Please eport back though and let us know I would love to hear how it goes when you see it.  Especially the hull blistering..  interesting reading on here with that issue no doubt.

I wouldn't over state the gas tank thing.  If this boat has seen little use, that tank is probably fine for years and years to come.  Have it checked out for sure but don't over think it.  

As for it not being a good deal because it isn't gone, yes, generally true but not always.  It isn't a bargain basement deal at that price.  It is a fair price for its age.  The condition simply makes it rare.  My current boat sat for sale for a year or more.  It was both pristine and very very very well priced.  Why nobody grabbed it before, I can't say, but after I bought it I got some angry PMs from guys who missed it by hours.  If you don't know the reputation of the MA, it's just another flats boat among millions of others, and it is generally a lot more expensive.  Until you ride on one, you would look at it and the price and laugh.  If you get to the water test though, it suddenly seems dirt cheap!

Good luck and keep us posted.

12 minutes ago, whichwaysup said:

I wouldn't over state the gas tank thing.  If this boat has seen little use, that tank is probably fine for years and years to come.  Have it checked out for sure but don't over think it.  

As for it not being a good deal because it isn't gone, yes, generally true but not always.  It isn't a bargain basement deal at that price.  It is a fair price for its age.  The condition simply makes it rare.  My current boat sat for sale for a year or more.  It was both pristine and very very very well priced.  Why nobody grabbed it before, I can't say, but after I bought it I got some angry PMs from guys who missed it by hours.  If you don't know the reputation of the MA, it's just another flats boat among millions of others, and it is generally a lot more expensive.  Until you ride on one, you would look at it and the price and laugh.  If you get to the water test though, it suddenly seems dirt cheap!

Good luck and keep us posted.

Well said Whichway. My thoughts exactly on the gas tank. That has not been a topic I've ever heard of on these models even with lots of hours. It's all about timing on boat sales no matter what it is being sold. We've seen amazing, very well priced boats sit and we've seen normal, everyday higher priced boats sell in hours. That's just timing. This is a very unique opportunity that the majority seems to want to discredit. However, boats/deals like this do come along rarely and when they do sometimes they will sit without reason. You can bet that this boat will have something "wrong" with it. However, if you want flawless, buy new. Oh wait you can't with this model....LOL. This is as "new" as you're going to possibly ever see again on a MA period! 

Assuming normal use and care the tank is totally fine, and should be for at least another 10+ years. Trailer stored boat with 100 hours of use has a lot of tank life left. That said, there is always risk buying used boats.  I bought my boat an 03' MA 3 or so years ago, it had 109 hours on it. I have no fear of tank issues, maybe I'm naive.

I believe the statement of around a 100 hours and garage kept. There are many clues I can see just in the pics to help confirm this, the biggest is the stickers on the motor and the color of the hatches. There is not another 01 MA with white hatches, and there is not another 01 Yamaha Vmax without faded stickers.  I would use the lack of sale as angle for lower price, the boat below took 2 months to sell. 

As far as I know there are no serve know issues to look for, with an 18 MA. The only talked about issue that may be common is blistering on the sides. For me this is not a deal breaker, but an advantage to use in pricing.  Do a normal inspection just like buying any other boat, you had and MA you know what to expect. Good luck and I hope it works out. 

Hey guys sorry about the delay.... I've been working all morning. But I just wanted to thank everyone for all the helpful information, I took a look at the MA yesterday and it is truly in pristine condition... I put a deposit down pending sea trial and having Fort Myers Marine (where I've purchased a 2200 Pathfinder before) take a full look through boat and motor. I will keep you guys in the loop moving forward!

15 hours ago, VS- 21MasterAngler said:

Hey guys sorry about the delay.... I've been working all morning. But I just wanted to thank everyone for all the helpful information, I took a look at the MA yesterday and it is truly in pristine condition... I put a deposit down pending sea trial and having Fort Myers Marine (where I've purchased a 2200 Pathfinder before) take a full look through boat and motor. I will keep you guys in the loop moving forward!

Thats great to hear, I hope the inspection passes. Keep us informed. 

Hey Guy's,  

Just an update... The boat is getting dropped off at Fort Myers Marine (Our local MHP dealer that I trust) tomorrow morning for the inspection. I'm crossing my fingers that things go well! Just wondering what boat cover you guys are using for your 18.5MA... I'm looking fort something to cover the entire boat and motor and easy to put on while the boat is on a lift.

Thanks!

10 hours ago, VS- 21MasterAngler said:

Hey Guy's,  

Just an update... The boat is getting dropped off at Fort Myers Marine (Our local MHP dealer that I trust) tomorrow morning for the inspection. I'm crossing my fingers that things go well! Just wondering what boat cover you guys are using for your 18.5MA... I'm looking fort something to cover the entire boat and motor and easy to put on while the boat is on a lift.

Thanks!

I was going to buy this one before I sold mine. Seems to what you're looking for and you can choose from multiple colors, fabrics etc....I'm sure others can chime in on what they're using. 

https://www.boatcoversdirect.com/products/boat_covers/MAVERICK_275/18.5_MASTER_ANGLER_W-_POLING_PLATFORM_9797/

I've always gone cheap on this - cabela's, carver, west marine, etc.   They worked . . . sort of.  Mostly they filled up with water during rain storms, blew off during wind storms, and made me dread taking them off and putting them on.   

My current boat came with a custom sunbrella cover made by Scotty's down in Florida (I can get you the contact info, if you want).   It's a $1,000 cover and having owned it, I will NEVER get anything else.  It has built in supports, it fits like a glove, goes on quickly, comes off quickly, NEVER collects water, and really really protects the boat.  LOVE it.  If you are going to keep the boat outside, a good cover is a worthwhile investment - take it from someone who has tried everything to avoid that kind of money!

Alright Guy's... Little update, Fort Myers Marine checked out the boat this morning and did a great job going through the entire boat motor and trailer.  They feel the boat is in fantastic condition and the items of concern are pretty minimal... Mostly maintenance items due to the boat not being used (stretched bungees in rod lockers etc.) They did say comp test came back solid and spark on all 6 cyl. 

The main things that are going to cost a little bit of money are 2 new hubs on the trailer and engine maintenance work like 100hr maintenance/ VST cleaning, injector cleaning, o2 sensor cleaning, and possibly replace the mechanical fuel pump.

If I have them do everything including the misc. items, cost will be $1,200-$1,500.

I was hoping to sea trial the boat this weekend but I can't because the Boat Place is backed up due to the Fort Myers Boat Show starting tomorrow through the weekend... Looks like I will sea trial on Tuesday:( 

I appreciate all of your help so far and hope the sea trial goes well so I can get back out there and fish already!!!

Congrats VS -

This sounds like it is going to be a great boat for you!  I've been in the market and was wondering if you could share how you best worked things out with the seller on the hull blisters?  I've done A LOT of reading on the subject the last few weeks so I know what to do if I come across one, but one thing I have not been able to find out is how long it takes for the boat to be sitting in the water before the blisters will swell up worse?  After that I understand they typically go back down some as they dry out each time.  I was just wondering if for example you could ask the seller to leave the boat in their basin overnight and then once the blisters really swell up use that in your final price negotiations?  Maybe things don't happen that fast?  Most of what I read seemed to be people taking their boat and leaving it in the water for a few days at least before things happened.  Congrats again and please post some pictures when you can! 

9 hours ago, VS- 21MasterAngler said:

Alright Guy's... Little update, Fort Myers Marine checked out the boat this morning and did a great job going through the entire boat motor and trailer.  They feel the boat is in fantastic condition and the items of concern are pretty minimal... Mostly maintenance items due to the boat not being used (stretched bungees in rod lockers etc.) They did say comp test came back solid and spark on all 6 cyl. 

The main things that are going to cost a little bit of money are 2 new hubs on the trailer and engine maintenance work like 100hr maintenance/ VST cleaning, injector cleaning, o2 sensor cleaning, and possibly replace the mechanical fuel pump.

If I have them do everything including the misc. items, cost will be $1,200-$1,500.

I was hoping to sea trial the boat this weekend but I can't because the Boat Place is backed up due to the Fort Myers Boat Show starting tomorrow through the weekend... Looks like I will sea trial on Tuesday:( 

I appreciate all of your help so far and hope the sea trial goes well so I can get back out there and fish already!!!

This is great news, im so glad to hear. I think many people will be upset they didn't run down sooner to see this boat.

Post some pics when you hit the water.

Archived