Brand new boat-Live wells flooding

CaptJake

Put my brand new 2200 TE in the water this weekend trout fishing. Riding from hole to hole I noticed my dad was getting soaked. The front and back live wells where filling with water and over flowing and putting water all over the boat. I double checked and none of the live wells/recirculating/bubbler were on.  This only happened when I was running on plane. What would be causing this. I hope it’s something I’m doing wrong and not a malfunction. Anyone with experience with this please chime in. Thanks

The plugs where in. And I had bait in the back live wells but non in the front. I never heard of closing valves to prevent this. I owned a Key West Bay Reef before and never had to close a valve and I never had an instance where the live well flooded while running the boat. Thanks for the replies. 

I have a 2014, 22TE and never had what you are experienced. Both the front pitch well and center live well's valves are open all of the time but I don't put the stand pipe in unless I need it. Any water that comes in while running drains out right away. Never had an issue. I do keep the valve on the release well closed since I keep some regular stuff there.

i hope this helps!

Never had the issue either. The main well will get water splashed in while running on plane but I either have the drain plug pipe removed when not in use or the overflow drains will take care of the excess water if I have the wells plugged and in use.

You might want to check your overflows to see if they are plugged up?

12 hours ago, CaptJake said:

The plugs where in.

You will get water into the wells while the boat is moving just by force.  If you have the plugs in there is nowhere for the water to go except out the top.  Like other said, close the valve if  you do not want any water in or leave the plug out so the water moves through the well drain and not over the top.

If the boat is brand new from the factory, then you have a problem with the live-well drains. Those drains are designed to handle running on plane and the pump running at the same time unless someone has changed the pumps to a higher GPH. Did you check the top of the standpipe? This time of year and especially after a hurricane, we get lots of jelly-fish looking critters. They look more like a glob of clear jelly. Those will spot up the standpipe drain (strainer at the top of the standpipe) and you can't see them, just have to feel for them.

Another issue might be that the drains have a shutoff in the bilge, near where the water exits the boat. Have you checked to make sure they are fully open?

• 1 year later...

Archived