Grab bar/hand rail / Windshield

Stonehenge

I have a 1900V I am keeping in the garage.  Each time I use it I have to take the windshield and grab bar off to clear the header when backing it in/out.  Well, that's getting old real quick.

My plan is to cut down the windshield and replace the wrap around grab bar/hand rail with just two short hand rails on either side.  Right now the holes are spaced 15" apart from previously mounted hand rail.  Really looking to not drill more holes in the console.

I have seen them in photos, where do I get the short handrails about 18" long?

3 hours ago, Stonehenge said:

I have a 1900V I am keeping in the garage.  Each time I use it I have to take the windshield and grab bar off to clear the header when backing it in/out.  Well, that's getting old real quick.

My plan is to cut down the windshield and replace the wrap around grab bar/hand rail with just two short hand rails on either side.  Right now the holes are spaced 15" apart from previously mounted hand rail.  Really looking to not drill more holes in the console.

I have seen them in photos, where do I get the short handrails about 18" long?

Any fabrication shop that builds T tops, boarding ladders, etc.  ...can build you any height grab rail you need , just take the old one for a hole / width pattern. You'll just have to decide if you want stainless or aluminum..I've seen both materials being used on short grab rails.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are happy with the windshield and gab bar, other than the hassle of removing them to put the boat in the garage, I'd make them into the fold down type. You could use the same holes in the console for the windshield, but add hinges at the bottom. The grab bar can also fold down by removing the top bolts, then loosening the bottom bolts, then fold forward or back. Take a look at the newer models. I put my 23 in a residential garage by folding the windshield and grab bar.

You would need to install thumb bolts and keep a little Vaseline on the threads.  

i cut the windshield down 5" and cut the grab rail off just below the top of the console, then welded a rod holder and a cup holder onto it on each side. i have a low RR bridge to clear to get out of my neighborhood and at high tide it's a must. hard to see here, but these are the only pics i have right now. oops. first pic doesn't have either windshield or grab bar----my bad.

done 2.jpg

done1.jpg

finished.jpg

Had the same problem and been through various configurations of grab rail/windshield modifications. After 16 years, I  put hinges on  the windshield and cut the grab rail about 7 inches above the top attachment point. After removing from the garage, all I have to do is lift the windshield in place and screw the two thumb screws I have mounted at the  lower rear corners into T nuts I mounted in the console.    

Archived