1900 Tunnel Prop Question

HewesYourDaddy

I'm running the standard Powertech 4 blade, 17p prop on my 1900 Tunnel. I'm seeing 40mph +/- when properly trimmed with full fuel and bait well, and 2 grown men in boat. I got into a discussion with another boater this past weekend who is running the same prop on the same engine, Yamaha 130, and seeing similar performance on his flats boat (yes, I know - different hulls). I started thinking about it after talking about hole shot and top end performance and wanted some expert opinions on Tunnel hulls. Is it possible to get better performance (top end) with a Powertech 3 blade prop and  still have the tunnel hull perform acceptably at low speeds? I'm aware that I won't get the lifting properties of the 4 blade, but I primarily fish in deeper water and a stern lift and quick hole shot aren't as important to me as long as the boat functions with no ill effect. 

HYD do some reading on here if you can find it but me and a few of the 1900 guys have done quite a bit of prop testing and never found a 3 blade that bit well on the V....motor all way down and still literally no ability to trim and barely able to turn without looing bite. I. would think it would be even worse on the T

Justfish, I probably read that here at some point. I have so many projects going on that I lose track sometimes. It may have been you that told me that in the past. I'll just leave it like it is. It's a great riding hull, I'll just have to live with the speed. I think either the name on the side or the color causes this thing to catch lots of fish. It's going in the water early tomorrow to see if we can have a repeat of last Saturday!

IMG_3110.JPG

You caught them on that 'ol Sea Hunt in the back ground, didn't you?

As Justfish said, it's all true about the 3 blade. The PowerTech SCD4 in 17p is what's right for the V hull...I run a worked over RXB4, and as long as I keep it out of the sand, I can run WOT in turns (even 90* turns) and see 46 trimmed and light and have seen 47 once....with a 115. You could probably turn a 19p with that 130, or have a 17p massaged into an 18p.  

• 1 year later...

Let me re-hash this thread. Now that I just had a mechanical failure of some sort on my Yamaha 130, I’ve been looking for decent used engines. Preferably a 2 stroke 150.  I did find a pretty low hour, excellent condition 150 HPDI with a 25” shaft, left hand turn gearcase. Here’s my question: since I have a jack plate, could I run that 25” motor in the highest mounting hole (putting it near the same depth in water) without much headache? I believe my midsection/gearcase are swappable to the HPDI if necessary. 

Archived