Pathfinder 24 Tournament & Motor?'s-Quiz Time

FMB MEGALOPS

Gentleman,

I have multiple questions in regards to the following that I hope some of you guys can help me with. I'm sure many of you have answers to 1, 2  or all of these questions that hopefully will clarify some things that keep popping up. I hope this new thread will generate a plethora of knowledge for many that may have the same questions. I really will appreciate your feedback on any of these topics. 

1. What year did the 24' PF Tournament change? I've heard conflicting statements that in 2009 there were changes on the 22', but not on the 24'? What changed and when? 

2. What years did Yamaha make the VMAX HPDI 2 stroke series 2? I think it was 2007 & 2008? 

3. What did Yamaha change on the series 2 vs series 1? 

4. The 24' TRS came out in 2011 and was the 24 Tournament's last year of production was 2012? 

5. First year the Yamaha SHO (250) came out was 2011 I believe. I've seen multiple reports of significant recalls for that year. Were there any recalls in model year 2012 and beyond? 

6. What's the major differences of the 24' Tournament vs. the 24' TRS as far as buying one or the other. I'm sure some of you have had both!

Thanks for your help and yes I'm asking because my budget seems to be in this era of years. As much as I would love the 24 TRS, it still seems to be out of my price range at the moment. However, the majority of 24' TRS's seem to be 2014 and newer for sale. I wonder why if they were introduced in 2011? 

My 2012 24 Tournament had a 250 SHO. It was the same layout as my 2006 22 Tournament with the exception of electronics. My SHO was manufactured in 2010 and it had its share of issues. Powerhead blew at 480 hours and the gear case went at 600. There were several recalls or updates in the earlier years.

The SHO started in 2010 I believe. After about 2012 I think the powerhead issues were resolved. While you can read horror stories there are many people who haven't had any from the early SHO's. In 2008-2010 the Pathfinder 2400 got the euro style console but the hull and deck layout are pretty much identical to say a 2006. The "T.E." hasn't changed as NAG JUICE has already stated. The TRS vs the TE is a bit of a difference. The TRS (started in 2011) has the rear seats and transition step on the forward deck. The TE is more targeted towards just fishing but honestly I don't see any fishability difference between the two. I can say going from my 2009 2400 TE to my 2012 2400 TRS has been a big upgrade for me. I absolutely love the rear seats and the extra storage hatch in the bow is nice. Either way you are getting a great boat. If you have a family the TRS is awesome.  

14 hours ago, Nag Juice said:

My 2012 24 Tournament had a 250 SHO. It was the same layout as my 2006 22 Tournament with the exception of electronics. My SHO was manufactured in 2010 and it had its share of issues. Powerhead blew at 480 hours and the gear case went at 600. There were several recalls or updates in the earlier years.

Thanks Nag. Do you know if the recalls are open recalls with no end date like automobiles have some times. It would be good to know if you had one of those years and there was no time frame getting a recall done. 

7 hours ago, CG RYAN said:

The SHO started in 2010 I believe. After about 2012 I think the powerhead issues were resolved. While you can read horror stories there are many people who haven't had any from the early SHO's. In 2008-2010 the Pathfinder 2400 got the euro style console but the hull and deck layout are pretty much identical to say a 2006. The "T.E." hasn't changed as NAG JUICE has already stated. The TRS vs the TE is a bit of a difference. The TRS (started in 2011) has the rear seats and transition step on the forward deck. The TE is more targeted towards just fishing but honestly I don't see any fishability difference between the two. I can say going from my 2009 2400 TE to my 2012 2400 TRS has been a big upgrade for me. I absolutely love the rear seats and the extra storage hatch in the bow is nice. Either way you are getting a great boat. If you have a family the TRS is awesome.  

That's great info CG! I sold my 18.5 MA to move up in size to a 24'. I really want a 21' MA, but I've got 3 boys who definitely got the fishing bug so the 24' seems right! From what I've seen in the last few months there's been a few TE's with F250 four strokes in the mid $40K range. You hardly see any 24' TRS for sale in the 2011-2013 range. The majority of TRS for sale now almost always are 2014's and newer and usually in that $60k+ range. I'm guessing that's because warranty is running out so they just buy another new one. 

I fish a lot with live mullet, ladyfish and whitebait so the layout in the 24' TRS   seems to be our sweet spot for sure. I really like that front pitch well. 

Do you have the 250 SHO or the F300? It seems like the majority of the TRS now have the F300 on them. Since the SHO is lighter than the F300 I wonder how much performance difference there really is between the two? Seems like the F300 is a bullet proof motor now matter what year it is. 

Thanks so much for your time responding. It really helps. 

1 hour ago, FMB MEGALOPS said:

That's great info CG! I sold my 18.5 MA to move up in size to a 24'. I really want a 21' MA, but I've got 3 boys who definitely got the fishing bug so the 24' seems right! From what I've seen in the last few months there's been a few TE's with F250 four strokes in the mid $40K range. You hardly see any 24' TRS for sale in the 2011-2013 range. The majority of TRS for sale now almost always are 2014's and newer and usually in that $60k+ range. I'm guessing that's because warranty is running out so they just buy another new one. 

I fish a lot with live mullet, ladyfish and whitebait so the layout in the 24' TRS   seems to be our sweet spot for sure. I really like that front pitch well. 

Do you have the 250 SHO or the F300? It seems like the majority of the TRS now have the F300 on them. Since the SHO is lighter than the F300 I wonder how much performance difference there really is between the two? Seems like the F300 is a bullet proof motor now matter what year it is. 

Thanks so much for your time responding. It really helps. 

I have the F300. I had the sho on my 22 pathfinder. Both are awesome motors in they’re own respect. The sho has a lot of low end grunt and was a blast on my 22. The F300 is much like my f250 that I had on my 2009 2400, it is quiet and an all around great motor. One thing that I absolutely love about the F300 is the digital shifting, that is something I don’t think I would ever want to be without now. The F300 is also more fuel efficient than the sho from what I’ve seen. Either way you can’t really go wrong. 

I went from a 22 to a 24trs in '15.  The 22 was a pure fishing setup.  Little family amenities, if any frankly.  I find the livewell systems to be excellent on the TRS, since you mentioned that is of interest.  My wife and son now have comfy jumpseats which they do like.  I find my TRS fishes well, which is what we do mostly, especially with 2 or more people. The roominess is nice.  But we also do the family thing and go tubing, etc and it works well for that too.  I absolutely hate the centered position of the wheel.  It leaves little room for a passenger beside the driver.  I too have enjoyed the 300.  It seems a bit heavy to me, and I have to use a touch of tabs below 35mph or it porpoises a bit.  Others have had similar experiences.  Not sure about that on the TE.  Generally, with 3 boys I would want all the ponies I could get with the 300 vs SHO.  All in all, much of the above the TE would do just as well as the TRS and maybe better in some instances, minus the family comforts perhaps.

Jp

1 hour ago, RICH12 said:

I went from a 22 to a 24trs in '15.  The 22 was a pure fishing setup.  Little family amenities, if any frankly.  I find the livewell systems to be excellent on the TRS, since you mentioned that is of interest.  My wife and son now have comfy jumpseats which they do like.  I find my TRS fishes well, which is what we do mostly, especially with 2 or more people. The roominess is nice.  But we also do the family thing and go tubing, etc and it works well for that too.  I absolutely hate the centered position of the wheel.  It leaves little room for a passenger beside the driver.  I too have enjoyed the 300.  It seems a bit heavy to me, and I have to use a touch of tabs below 35mph or it porpoises a bit.  Others have had similar experiences.  Not sure about that on the TE.  Generally, with 3 boys I would want all the ponies I could get with the 300 vs SHO.  All in all, much of the above the TE would do just as well as the TRS and maybe better in some instances, minus the family comforts perhaps.

Jp

I agree about the centered wheel. Luckily I'm not that big but I actually just told my wife today that her spot is on the left of me. She likes to be on the right and that blocks the throttle. I am very pleased with my TRS, definitely my nicest boat yet. 

13 hours ago, RICH12 said:

Jp

Thanks Rich! That's great insight. 

Sounds like I'll be in your same situation. This is obviously why MBG made the TRS. It seems to be the best of all worlds. Looks like I'll be in the market at the very beginning of next year. Maybe that will get me a little more of a price drop on the pre-owned ones. It appears that lots of owners get out of their boats at the end of that 3 year warranty period. Was there any changes or upgrades that you know of from 2011-2015? Looks like I'll be in that 2013-2015 range. 

Looks like MBG is using the new console layout on multiple models now so the steering wheel is now in a more desirable position it appears. 

There are some very minor changes that I have noticed. MBG has always been great about listening to customers and making changes. The under gunnel rod holders on the early trs had 2 holders where the new ones have 3, the battery switches and breakers are in the console instead of the aft hatch, and the t top feet go to the deck in the front and rear vs the front only in earlier models. These are all very minor things. The switch location makes no difference in my opinion but I see why they did it. The extra rod holder is something I will be adding and is a simple fix. The t top brace would be nice to eliminate flexing in rough seas but I do like the extra room while at the helm.  There are also latches to lock the rear seats down on newer models but that again is a simple project. 

On the sho, I believe they are on the 4th gen. The first gen (2010-2011) has a recall where they basically give you a new block for certain serial numbers. The thrust bearing was the weak point on those. If a powerhead goes out of warranty its about 8k. Ive had a few of them: 2011 225, 2012 250, and 2016 250 and all were great but had less than 330 hours each. One lower unit failure but I believe it hit something

Archived