Visiting MBG on Wed

johnd

Thanks for the extremely prompt response Charlie.  My "boss" is seriously thinking about a Cobia 344 and wants to learn more.  I sent message to Charlie the awesome marketing guy and within an hour he coordinated a visit on Wed to factory.   I'm going along for the ride, heck it was 1999 when Mr. Deal was kind enough to give me a tour (result: so impressed years  later when kids grown I bought my Hewes). Can't wait to see all the cool new boats!

While MBG does scheduled tours, with his interest in a specific model there is one in the build, so we enjoyed a very thorough interesting tour this morning.  You ever watch on TV "how it's made"...   just like that but 1000x better.  We arrived an hour or so the cap was about to placed on hull, so we got to see all the plumbing, wiring, etc open..a final inspector double checking everything..then watched as bonding applied and cap put in place.  These are not your father's Cobia, but we already knew that.  Yes, a production boat but it's the process that most impressed me.  

Charlie took us everywhere on the floor..from the CNC machines cutting stringers, every mold in process, watched wire harness being made (each for a specific customers build), the pieces and parts from mold thru finish to install.   Then we went to area the Mavericks &Hewes were being made..fully bagged infusion.  

So yeah, as a proud Lappy owner I had to wear my Lappy shirt.  We watched 4 guys lift a cap for a Maverick (or maybe an RF) out of mold, flip it and place on trolley.  I had to look closely at mold...one of the workers walked over to give me fist bump for my shirt!  Cool.

looked at the new 32 Cobia that had just returned from FT Lauderdale show, looked at 28(?) DC model, i really liked the newish 301 ...but of course I'm a skinny water guy at heart, so I kept peaking over at the skiffs.    

Archived