Wiring a GPS/sonar unit and running transducer cable

Afc208

Hello all. I have recently purchased a 2015 Redfisher 16. It never had any Electronics installed and I'm about to do a new installation of a GPS/sonar unit. First question I have is what is the best way to hook up power to the unit? I have three batteries where one is used to crank the engine and the other two are used to power the 24 volt trolling motor. This year boat does not have a a fuse box where positive power could be hooked up. That is what I am used to doing but all the switches here are on breakers. It does however have a negative bus bar. Is there someplace I'm overlooking which I could connect the positive lead to or do I have to install it on a battery directly?

Next question could be a little more involved. I am trying to fish the transducer into the center console from the aft bilge area through the engine rigging using a fish tape but no luck. There is a nylon string that is installed from the factory aft in the bilge that is stated in the manual is used as a fishing wire however this goes forward through the rigging tube and comes out at the anchor locker. Obviously, I need to get the transducer cable into the center console so the string will not work. Any hints?

Thanks so much for taking a look at this.

Addendum to above question:

I was recently informed by another owner that both nylon lines should lead into the center console and the ends should be visible.  I do not see any.  DOes anyone know if this is true? If so it must be that these ends were somehow pulled back into the rigging tubes. :(

Re: fishing the transducer cable...I had better luck pushing the fish tape from the console to the aft, then taping the transducer to the tape and pulling it forward. Even then it took a lot of frustrating tries, then all of the sudden it popped through no problem. Keep trying.

Thanks for your reply. The recommendation is to install a separate battery only for the electronics which, of course, would be the best way to go. I just don't want to put a fourth battery in. With wiring off the cranking battery the manufacturer is worried about power surges and things like that when cranking the engine so they do not recommend that. 

i just did the same thing added a simrad go 7xse to my hewes redfisher18 luckily i was able to pull transducer through from the old transducer wire. It can be frustrating even with that it took me awhile to get it through. it helped to electrical tape the entire transducer plug to whatever your pulling it through with to make it go smoother i also heard you can use one of the small 5200 caulk tips that come with the tubes. the long tube that lets it come out in smaller increments use that at the front of the transducer to be a cone to smoothly go through the boat. sorry if that was confusing.

Not trying to hi jack the topic but how do you like the go7?  I am close to buying one with totalscan transducer for my redfisher 16. 

On 11/10/2017 at 10:45 AM, Fsu11 said:

i just did the same thing added a simrad go 7xse to my hewes redfisher18 luckily i was able to pull transducer through from the old transducer wire. It can be frustrating even with that it took me awhile to get it through. it helped to electrical tape the entire transducer plug to whatever your pulling it through with to make it go smoother i also heard you can use one of the small 5200 caulk tips that come with the tubes. the long tube that lets it come out in smaller increments use that at the front of the transducer to be a cone to smoothly go through the boat. sorry if that was confusing.

15 hours ago, Jlrockjr said:

Not trying to hi jack the topic but how do you like the go7?  I am close to buying one with totalscan transducer for my redfisher 16. 

Love it so far, i got the HDI transducer because it was 100$ less than the totalscan and i think it was worth getting the cheaper one in my opinion for the fishing i am doing. the downscan is still awesome on the HDI transducer 

simrad.png

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 10:04 PM, Afc208 said:

Thanks for your reply. The recommendation is to install a separate battery only for the electronics which, of course, would be the best way to go. I just don't want to put a fourth battery in. With wiring off the cranking battery the manufacturer is worried about power surges and things like that when cranking the engine so they do not recommend that. 

That's correct, don't connect to the starting battery. Why not connect to one of the trolling motor batteries? That's what I have always done, straight to one of the TM batteries. Basically, you can not use the TM and watch the screen at the same time anyway. Also, when using the TM, the TM generates turbulent water that passes by the transducer and interferes with the signal.  

I have not used one of these products yet, but I am seriously considering installing a DC power conditioner on my boat.  Has anyone out there tried something like this to provide clean power for sensitive electronics?  https://dcpoweronboard.com/dc-power-stabilizers/

One of my main jobs in my field of work is troubleshooting networked computer systems.  In my 20 years in the industry, the most common problems with computer systems are caused by dirty power and/or ground loops.  Installing power conditioners on all of our customers' electronic devices ensures fewer after-hours service calls for a "system down"!

On 11/8/2017 at 5:21 PM, Afc208 said:

Addendum to above question:

I was recently informed by another owner that both nylon lines should lead into the center console and the ends should be visible.  I do not see any.  DOes anyone know if this is true? If so it must be that these ends were somehow pulled back into the rigging tubes. :(

My Redfisher 16 had two nylon pull-strings tied up to the clump of wires under the console, coming up from the floor.  They were zip-tied neatly above the floor, but it was a tangled mess below floor level.  Had to detach the rubber boot and use a flashlight and tools to move and pull cabling up through the hole.  Slow process.  Just a suggestion - when you pull a new cable to the console, pull another new nylon string with it, so you will have it for another future project.

Archived