1996 Bonefisher 16 Gunnels Uneven

Redfish6403

Before you panic, check to see if there is a consistent gap between the deck cap and the hull. They had to refasten the cap to hull because the original screws were no long enough.  They clamped one side a little tighter than the other and created a similar issue on my Redfisher. 

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:02 PM, hurricane said:

Whats the chance its just sitting on the trailer crooked?

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 12:40 PM, hawg said:

Have you checked trailer bunks and springs to see if they are sitting equally? Is the ground beneath the trailer relatively smooth?

You need to check this first. Your hull will twist or distort if the trailer bunks or ground (where the wheels contact) is uneven. Hulls are designed to bend and twist. That minimizes damage to the hull when you hit big waves or when trailering over uneven surfaces.

• 7 months later...

AD8D858F-1C06-40CA-AD0D-93FF142DC7FE.jpeg.0f2fa32675685bd4e43cc9b2740d2789.jpeg6C89C0B3-7C25-42A3-8E8B-4120ED576EA2.thumb.jpeg.152b992fa6f024c2c6dbc539613b9178.jpeg  In addition to twist boat takes on some water and takes a long time to slowly drain out on trailer after a trip.  Appears to be coming from port side, the outer bunk drips water much longer than others.  Bunks appear to fit properly, custom trailer from Magic-Tilt.  Boat on trailer measures approximately 2” difference at forward bulkhead from top of gunnel to concrete with port side higher.D65720AE-7AD4-4FD4-848D-45B22C0A77FC.thumb.jpeg.76e9860a851f556247da20ba98baff52.jpeg

that boat looks crooked on the trailer, but I dont see an issue witht the gunnels relative to the bottom of the hull.  Hard to tell from pics, though.  

Seems like if you measure from the ground to various portions of the hull port and starboard and compare those, it should tell you if the hull of the boat is level with the ground.  then measure the same spots but from ground to the rub rails, and compare that to the first set of measurements, it should help you find discrepencies that would prove out what you think.

Does it ride funny in the water? I want to say its crooked kn the trailer but if you start using reference points I dont see any major discrepancies if that pic is dead center saying it's on the trailer crooked. I don't know, it does look a bit twisted.

Place a straight edge across the deck with a level on top of it, make sure it’s long enough to overhang the sides of the boat. Then Level the deck by jacking up the low side of the trailer. Once that is done measure straight down to the concrete- if the measurements are the same the hull is equal.

It is hard to tell in pictures but from looking it appears that the cap may be rotated on the hull or one side of cap is sitting higher.  When the hull is removed from the mold it is trimmed

Occasionally the trimming is a little off and the cap sits uneven. 

Starting in the middle draw lines every foot or so on each side at the rub rail and measure the distance from the top of the deck to the first edge down . Corresponding distances from the bow should be the same.

You really need to eliminate the trailer as the cause. Of course there is a chance the hull could be twisted, but its much more likely the trailer is the cause. The level looks to me to show, both trailer and boat have slight left side rise, just like your pics. You need to take a lot of measurements. First have to be sure the ground it level, then lots of measurements all the way down both sides, from boat to the trailer and trailer to the ground. Measure all the bunk board attachments to see if they are the same.  I say this, because if I was to push your boat on the left side and roll it on the trailer, I could make it level.

Also I just noticed it looks like you have a side console, that is on the low side of the boat as it sits. When you load the boat on the trailer the weight of the driver on that side, could easily make the boat roll as its loaded on the trailer. I would suspect this to be the cause of the of the offset.

Take a clear hose and fill up with water. Stretch hose under hull and hold up to side of rubrail at water level, measure the verticle difference of the water level on the tube at the same opposite location of rubrail.  Remember the water in the tube will always level out.This will show you how crooked your boat is on the trailer.  if you do this same measurement along the side at say each strake the difference should be the same at all opposite locations, if not the boat is out of level or twisted as you say.

my guess is cracked/delaminated stringer. Check port chine for crack. If your taking on water, your boat is flexing, and your trailer is square you've got structural issues. Sometimes people mistake hull flex for vibration of your bow pushing water away. remember these boats, especially back in the day were cranked out to sell. Every time a guy drove off with one of these things they were laughing at the factory. But on the flip side, hewes is what started the sport of flats fishing, and more people talk about these boats than any other. 

Archived