Prop and rpm

General disarray

2 minutes ago, HoneyB said:

I may have missed if you have a jack plate. This is my first boat with a jackplate. My first few outings I was raising my jackplate  too high and then trimming. Rpm were high but speed was low.  I still think your asking a lot of your motor in real world conditions such as people and gear on your boat. Of corse I could be completely wrong :) 

I do not but on these early years the vmax doesn't have enough shaft length so it will blow out early similar to a jack plate. Ring too high

General Disarray, against the advice of counsel (Dabear) haha, I will open my mouth and possibly insert foot with some prop recommendations.  It would be best to test various sized props with a professional (like Prop Gods) or someone who has a few spare props in the size range to fit your setup, that you could borrow or rent, before you decide to buy new.  I am grateful to know Lurem (a member on this board) who has the same boat as I do and was very generous with loaning me some test props to try.  Some sellers on Ebay have a favorable return policy if you return the prop without any sign of use.

Your PT prop is 14.25" in diameter.  From the info you have provided, if I were in your shoes, and the budget allowed, here are two props I would consider for your boat, if you are looking for a 3-blade with better grip.  JMO:

Mercury Enertia (14 X 19p) or (13.75 X 20p)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIB9AZdmi0Y

Yamaha Turbo 1 (14.25 X 19p) or (14 X 20p)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9Oo3B4j9Yc

There are other great Yamaha props to choose from like the Reliance and Pro Series.  However, they are backordered more than they are available.  The Mercury Enertia (and other Mercury props) has the PVS vent plug system, which I like for adjusting the amount of port ventilation needed for the best acceleration and hole shot.

Hope this helps.

2 hours ago, geeviam said:

General Disarray, against the advice of counsel (Dabear) haha, I will open my mouth and possibly insert foot with some prop recommendations.  It would be best to test various sized props with a professional (like Prop Gods) or someone who has a few spare props in the size range to fit your setup, that you could borrow or rent, before you decide to buy new.  I am grateful to know Lurem (a member on this board) who has the same boat as I do and was very generous with loaning me some test props to try.  Some sellers on Ebay have a favorable return policy if you return the prop without any sign of use.

Your PT prop is 14.25" in diameter.  From the info you have provided, if I were in your shoes, and the budget allowed, here are two props I would consider for your boat, if you are looking for a 3-blade with better grip.  JMO:

Mercury Enertia (14 X 19p) or (13.75 X 20p)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIB9AZdmi0Y

Yamaha Turbo 1 (14.25 X 19p) or (14 X 20p)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9Oo3B4j9Yc

There are other great Yamaha props to choose from like the Reliance and Pro Series.  However, they are backordered more than they are available.  The Mercury Enertia (and other Mercury props) has the PVS vent plug system, which I like for adjusting the amount of port ventilation needed for the best acceleration and hole shot.

Hope this helps.

I was avoiding suggesting  he try something other than power tech.. they have a huge following here. BUT, I run a merc enertia and Love it. The tempest plus. Also a favorite of mine on a 2200trs. I bent mine and have not replaced it yet. My boat came with powertech 19 ofx I think it was ... not impressed with that prop for running a bay boat 

9 hours ago, HoneyB said:

I was avoiding suggesting  he try something other than power tech.. they have a huge following here. BUT, I run a merc enertia and Love it. The tempest plus. Also a favorite of mine on a 2200trs. I bent mine and have not replaced it yet. My boat came with powertech 19 ofx I think it was ... not impressed with that prop for running a bay boat 

Glad to hear that you like the Enertia too.  I wish Mercury made one to fit the 4.25" gearcase on my VF115.  And while they're at it, a Tempest Plus would be awesome too!  I almost suggested a Tempest in the post above but wasn't sure which pitch would be correct with the larger diameter.

Archived