Holiday Camping

My best day in Glades ever today. My Bro-in-law who is from Naples and his son said the trout bight was umlike they have ever seen. At a certain point when the tide was coming in, it was every cast for an hour straight with reds and snook mixed in. The fish were crashing bait pods on the flats and we just look for fish breaking and throw into the break. 

78E7FE15-BE29-409F-B8D8-A651E468D304.jpeg

1A2077F2-C0C4-4D66-9572-683EC98DC5B8.jpeg

BF2488EB-5B0A-4E81-89C7-0BEADB09E898.jpeg

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 10:02 PM, rubble said:

One thing I’ve got to pickup is a good spinning rod for popping corks. Any recommendations on best bang for buck? I used a Star rod I picked up last Christmas that was about $80.00 that had plenty of feel and backbone for jigs and plastic. 

Check out Shimano’s Terramar line of spinning rods for about $110.   Teamed up with a Stradic 1000 or 2500, they are my popping cork rigs as well as jig and plastic.   Nice, high quality rods for the money.  I like the 6 1/2 foot and something like 6 to 12 lb line class rating.  I like them so well I have 4 of them.  They will handle anything from a 14” trout to a 12 lb red!  LOL

Dino, sorry I missed your call and late to respond.  Have been under the weather. 

I gotta fall back and tell this story about how “goofy things happen at the worst times.”  So about three weeks ago I found out I had a tumor in my neck/Parotid. Not a bad kind but one that can turn bad so the ENT said get it out asap.  Went in for outpatient surgery within a few days and brought home a respitory infection that just wouldnt go away. Kind of felt like flu but never got to the sick part. Had to get well because FISH was around corner. Had my doc give me some stronger antibiotics and took a breathing treatment and felt good enough to load up Pathy and roll. Spent night in Lake Park GA and didnt feel right. Got a call while in the road from Dermatologist which I saw before leaving to tell me i have some BCC skin cancer. With that on my mind and long drive ahead i started to get a little lathargic and dizzy. Stopped in Tampa for lunch with family and arrived in Naples at 6:00 to unload boat and go to Urgent Care by 700 close.  Felt horrible but we are fishing the next morning and had to push thru. I have zero desire to visit docs but had no choice if I wanted to enjoy Choko. BP off the charts and oxygen at 84. Doc gave me penicillin, steriod and inhaler aling with a different antibiotic. Steriod was like a zpak. Took six right away. I felt great by midnight. Slept in an hour later next morning and took time to choko. By time we arrived still felt good.  That night wife texts me and says she has the pukes and squirts. Flu is bad in KY so it must have been lingering. She works in school system and is always exposed. Thought that is what I had but just accute upper resp infection. After feeling great and fishing 3 days, back to deal with bronchitis.

So I’ve pretty much been horizontal since Christmas but I made it out today to Sunshine to replinish jig heads, plastics, circle hooks and pick up a popping cork combo. 

Got the stradic3000. Took me forever to decide. Went in for Nasci but everyone was suggesting stradic. I have a ci4 and love it but got it used at a great price.  

Also got the terramar tmsx76m. They didnt have the 7’ and guys at counter said the extra 6” will help with distance. Feels a little whippy compared to what I’m used to but looking fwd to trying it out. Hopefully before the weekend. 

Heard the Bight is still good. Hope everyone is out there wetting lines. 

20+ trout days; half of them were nice size. Managed a couple reds each day. Plenty of sheeps around when we had no bait. Trips weren't hard to find but we had a tough time getting them to eat. Zero snook but we really didn't look for them. Butt kicking bluefish and pesky lizardfish were relentless!! :o  

2 hours ago, conocean said:

20+ trout days; half of them were nice size. Managed a couple reds each day. Plenty of sheeps around when we had no bait. Trips weren't hard to find but we had a tough time getting them to eat. Zero snook but we really didn't look for them. Butt kicking bluefish and pesky lizardfish were relentless!! :o  

Nice report....sounds like the new year is off to a good start.......looks like next weekend is a blow out......

dc

Archived