Picture

Nag Juice

Great pic..but, given the political climate..I don't know if I'd put a rod being trolled on the back of a military boat on the web..

While I think most of us would understand...yeah, there are slow times...and a rod on the back isn't doing anything..someone could take it the wrong way...

The sunset...different story...great capture..

dc

Nag,

I can't believe you took your picture down. The he!! with being PC; that's what is wrong with our country now!

The next time you’re deployed, let us know. We’ll send you guys some terminal tackle and some real rod holders for that back rail.

Thanks for your service!

In this months issue of Florida Sportsman in the back is an article about a navy guy on a warship landing and releasing a sailfish.

If our soldiers can't troll a line behind a warship on their down time while out at sea, then we have a serious problem. And I have an even more serious problem with a non-serving citizen questioning or criticizing an active duty serviceman/woman posting a pic of such. These men and women don't have the luxury of hooking up their Pathfinder/Maverick/Hewes/or whatever and going fishing in the afternoon when they get off work like most all of us do.

WAKE UP AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!

In this months issue of Florida Sportsman in the back is an article about a navy guy on a warship landing and releasing a sailfish.

If our soldiers can't troll a line behind a warship on their down time while out at sea, then we have a serious problem. And I have an even more serious problem with a non-serving citizen questioning or criticizing an active duty serviceman/woman posting a pic of such. These men and women don't have the luxury of hooking up their Pathfinder/Maverick/Hewes/or whatever and going fishing in the afternoon when they get off work like most all of us do.

WAKE UP AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!

I agree, I'd say our servicemen should be able to do whatever they want on their downtime...troll away!!

I'm with the rest of this group: Thank you for your service ! Burn off the stress and boredom however you wish. Weak-minded people may grouse and throw out lame complaints. They are not in Harm's way.

I particularly like the GI that somehow found a flyrod to fish in Hussein's Palace lake, and dragged out some big, ugly Carp-looking things.. Or the Sailors who fished at anchor in Gitmo. They used a deck crane and a side of beef to shark fish, and got broke off.

You do your service safely and get back here in one piece.

Marc

Well I didn't want to offend anyone being it is a warship with a Torium 30 on the back. After all it is a fishing website. Im looking for another one now, that's a little more correct.

Nag, Scott, all......

As we can all remember, a few pictures of our serviceman posted innocently having some fun....and that might be a little off PC...can get them nailed for a court martial....

Post what you like...just remember the potential consequences if you are on active duty....

While I think it's innocent and a bit of fun and got a kick out of the shot.....that boat you are riding is "TAX" payer's money and gas...

In today's charged environment...somebody with a beef, tracks you down, shows the picture to a local base commander and the "SH*&Ts" will flow down hill to you and your unit....

Not trying to be an A-H*()LE...just trying to protect a fellow serviceman from getting in trouble.....

Being in the military has consequences, unlike a funny photo we might post here.....

DC

OK. I need to get the record straight on this one. The original photo I posted was a rod off the back of my patrol boat in the North Arabian Gulf (NAG). We had just left the pit stop and were heading back to homeport. We had about a 2 day transit and 9kts was our speed to meet the required ETA without burning too much fuel. We were not chasing schools of fish, or deviating from course at all. It was a nice night and we were taking our time dragging a line, having a cigar and unwinding from the patrol. We could've gone much faster. I didn't catch anything and knew I probably wouldn't. I just wanted to fish. I believe this was on month 8 or 9 out of 13 when this picture was taken... We were out of the OPAREA and properly relieved. This was authorized by my Commanding Officer. I posted the picture without realizing current potential consequences. I took the photo down to prevent headaches I don't need. It actually surprised me that this even came up. Thanks for the positive comments but don't blame Dino. He's just looking out. If someone really had a problem with the picture I'd be more than happy to talk about it.

Thanks for the positive comments but don't blame Dino. He's just looking out

Nag,

In the Marine Corps I was a Remmington Ranger - 0151...Legal was under me as a NCO..

I saw way too many good Marines set to Office Hours for innocent jokes, off-color pictures while in uniform, etc.

Please understand...my only intent was to help and not to critize...

That being said, i had some friends who were "Coasties" Coast Guard guys when I was younger who "patrolled" off Key Largo...I went Marines, they went Coast Guard from High School....It's amazing how many Wahoo you can catch from a Cutter at fast idle :) :)

dc

Thanks Alot Dino! I will tell you one thing though I WILL NEVER POST THE PICS when I was on Coast Guard Cutters and the fish we caught! Not even the 40+ blackfins in one p***, or the grouper and snapper laying all over the fan tail, the sharks we caught. No, I will not post them! I could even show you pictures of the crew litterally jumping & diving off the upper decks of the cutters and swimming. Heck I even have pictures of "Willy" our Phillipino cook who would cook the fresh catch for the crew 5 different ways! No, I will not post them! But that's because digital cameras were not invented yet so I would have to dig them out and scan them and besides that it might be self incriminating :content:

Started not to but will add my $.02 worth.I did 21 years in Naval aviation. Actually spent a little over 6 years at sea. Aircraft carriers, destroyers with helo det, LSD, LPH, AGF etc. When the time was right, we were many times encouraged to relax and fish from the ship. Some took tackle on deployment and some of the ships had some rod and reels you could check out from the rec dept. When doing flight ops etc, we worked 7 days a week and 12 hour shifts. When we got time to slow down, nobody minded us acting a little human and it wasn't against the rules and regs. I caught a HUGE octupus off the sponson of the Coral Sea once and the ships Captain was watching and asked if I was going to take it to the cooks. Recreation isn't a crime in our military service. I'll shut up now!

Tight lines---wherever you are!!!

Hey coachgun1,

I did two Gulf of Tonkin(Vietnam) tours aboard the USS Coral Sea '69-'70 & '71-'72. Captain's name was Gorsline I believe. Like you said it was 24/7 & all business when we were online @ Yankee Station but on offtime just about anything went. Hell, we even had swim call in the Gulf of Tonkin. :)

I salute you for your service Nag Juice!!!

Thanks,

RL

Email the pic to me and I'll post it (and give you full anonymous credit) I'll sandwich in between some pics of a 1993 U.S.S. Kittyhawk deployment, the PC police will have a mini-stroke before they get to your PaTrolling boat picture. Besides I've been in for 21 years, my career can handle it.

Archived