Cast Net Recommendation

I'm in need of a new cast net so figured I would get some opinions.  I've been throwing a 3/8 mesh 10 ft. Calusa for a long time now for whitebait.  I'm probably going to get a Tim Wade, but interested in suggestions on size.  This would be for whitebait in and around Charlotte Harbor/Lemon Bay area.  I'm not getting any younger so was thinking I might go down to a an 8 footer.  When bait gets thin, or I don't get out as early, throwing that 10 footer 15-20 times can start to wear on me.  What are you guys throwing in this area?

Barracuda nets have recently become a very popular brand in the Tampa area and around FL. I got one for xmas, only have used 2 or 3 times since, but Im very impressed with it. Its nice and soft outta the bucket and throws as well as any net. Seems to be built well and its the only net I've ever heard of with a warranty, if you rip it they will give you a new one for 1/2 price. You must register your new net.

• Like 2

I used to have a cracker 10’, 1/4” mesh.  I now have a Barracuda 10’ with 1/4” mesh and it is lighter.  Barracuda inshore net has 1.25lbs per foot, compared to Calusa/ Cracker that is 1.5lbs per foot.  I do like my Barracuda and the warranty.  I use the 1/4” mesh around Bokeelia to keep from gettin small bait Christmas treed in the net!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, justdriftin said:

I'm in need of a new cast net so figured I would get some opinions.  I've been throwing a 3/8 mesh 10 ft. Calusa for a long time now for whitebait.  I'm probably going to get a Tim Wade, but interested in suggestions on size.  This would be for whitebait in and around Charlotte Harbor/Lemon Bay area.  I'm not getting any younger so was thinking I might go down to a an 8 footer.  When bait gets thin, or I don't get out as early, throwing that 10 footer 15-20 times can start to wear on me.  What are you guys throwing in this area?

Call Tim Wade and he will build a net to your tastes and fishing area.  I'm just a recreational angler.  I throw a 8' 1/4" mesh Tim Wade.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hurricane said:

Barracuda nets have recently become a very popular brand in the Tampa area and around FL. I got one for xmas, only have used 2 or 3 times since, but Im very impressed with it. Its nice and soft outta the bucket and throws as well as any net. Seems to be built well and its the only net I've ever heard of with a warranty, if you rip it they will give you a new one for 1/2 price. You must register your new net.

What Hurricane said.

I have a 10 & 12' and they both have been superb. I really like the warranty because I throw a lot around bridges and have loss multiple nets in the past. 

• Like 1

After two shoulder surgeries, I down-graded to a 8ft. x 3/8  Tim Wade. I catch more bait than I did with a 10ft. net because I can throw a perfect circle about 95% of the time, with less effort. 

Tim Wade
206 Pine Street
West Melbourne, FL 32904
(321) 729-9537 (Work)
(321) 508-2836 (Cell)  

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

I know I'm late to this thread but I love my Moonlighters.  I have two repaired shoulders so I have to limit the number of my throws so I like a 1.5 lb per foot that always opens nicely and tangles rarely. I have two 8' foot Moonlighters in 1/4" & 3/8" that do the job around Tampa Bay.  Moonlighter also made my pushpole and I was happy with the quality of that as well.

If I'm in the keys, I'm usually getting bait on a shallow flats in super clear water so I use a Fitec. I think Fitec has come a long way in recent years. Besides because I say nice things about them they send me nice SPF LS shirts. I also like their elastic wrist band.

For me I didn't like the horn on the Baracuda (was given one at a tournament). Nice bucket with rope handle but I prefer to hang my nets when not in use.

I threw green Lee Fisher Bait Buster nets for years cause they were priced right and durable, especially when getting hung up under the Skyway Bridge. 

Everyone says Tim Wade is the best, I just hate to wait. 

I soak new nets in a bucket of fabric softner/water overnight.

I chum with Purina fishfood with a little Bunker oil mixed in as an added attractant. 

748962965_IMG_1462-Copy.jpg.e55861c82625cfd29b358b22a6c415fc.jpg

I have 2 nets.  Barracuda 8’ 3/8, 1.5#.  The barracuda is nicely made and is easy to throw.  Pricey.

I also have a 6’ , 1/4”, 1.5# Big Gulp.  Similarly constructed to the Barracuda(6panel). Actually prefer the Big Gulp handline.  Opens nicely and a little easier to throw because of the size.  I throw the 6’ net 90% of the time.

The Big Gulp cost is alot less.  My next net will be a Big Gulp.