Livewell Stand Pipe

FunFlatsFishing

39 minutes ago, jchern said:

Ok. Makes sense, can you take a pic after it’s complete. I’ve cross drilled holes on the stand up pipe to help with bait or grass clogging the exit pipe. That’s works as well. 

Just made it. Should be ready to go. Much larger screen so it will be much more difficult for the bait to clog. 

50C2245A-5339-455E-AE9A-ACA58B3A73E3.jpeg

47 minutes ago, reelhooked said:

Looks great.

Did you find the bottom base insert for sale or did you end up modifying an existing standpipe.

If you found the rubber base please share where you bought it. I have not been able to find it anywhere. 

I convinced my local tackle shop to sell me just the base from an existing standpipe they had for sale. $2 wasn’t bad :) 

22 minutes ago, GlennF said:

That looks great, hope it works, then you can sell some of us one. Stock one clogs up with pilchards and shrimp all the time

Thanks for sharing your invention

Haha. I don’t know if I can mass produce them on a level to make this worth it. Maybe I can task my wife with this lol. 

Works great. I’ve been down at AMI all weekend with crabs, whitebait and threads. The threads die quickly and float. No issues with clogs. 

With the surface area of the filter, there isn’t enough suction to hold them on it which prevents the clogs. 

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Funflats,

I received the strainer from Amazon (thank you for the Link) and I have a factory standpipe. Where did you get the adapter that attaches the strainer to the standpipe since they are a different size?

Thanks agin for sharing your invention, can't wait to try it

Thanks, Glenn

Just now, GlennF said:

Hi Funflats,

I received the strainer from Amazon (thank you for the Link) and I have a factory standpipe. Where did you get the adapter that attaches the strainer to the standpipe since they are a different size?

Thanks agin for sharing your invention, can't wait to try it

Thanks, Glenn

You will have to take a trip to Home Depot or Lowe’s. First you will need the pvc piece that is threaded on one end and not on the other. Then you will need the pvc piece that downsizes it to fit the stand pipe. Only a few more bucks and you are good to go. 

Works great BTW

Good idea! On my 17MA I drilled 20 holes (5 holes in 4 equal rows) in the regular standpipe, removed the cheap plastic drain top and replaced it with 1/16" wire mesh that I secured thru the top 4 holes. It really cleaned up the water in my well which improved bait life duration. The only drawback was I had to run the livewell pump almost the whole time I was fishing due to water being able to escape quickly because I drilled my bottom holes too low on the first standpipe I tried this with. So on the next standpipe I started my bottom row of holes 3" above the top of the rubber gasket and it worked much better. 

Archived