New Yamaha XTO’s

FROZEN

Nag,

I have had a timeshare on Jewfish creek in Key Largo for almost 30 years. I can't begin to tell you the number of trip & quad engine boats coming through the ICW with the 375, 400, 575 Horsepower outboard engines hanging on the back. All different makes & models, the amount of money invested is sick! But I guess if you have the money!!

6 hours ago, JEM said:

Something like 950 or 975 pounds!!!!!!!  WHEW, that's a load!

Agreed,  That's a ton of weight for any outboard.  The Verado 400R is around 670lbs and will make 450 plus reliable HP with a computer upgrade from Whipple.  I know these big CC's are huge and can handle a lot of weight but that's a bit excessive if you ask me.  Can't be good for MPG's.

Overly discussed at this point IMHO.

I think Yamaha knows the market they are in. Myself not smart enough to question their approach.

And yes, I think that is one very heavy engine and am disappointed as 900 lbs of motor on my 1300 lb skiff may not work.

I am sure the market of 40 plus center consoles were a driving force behind this development as well as many EPA standards to meet.

I will also believe all the weights and other hype when the release is formal by the product manufacturer.

As Doc Holiday said, " thats's the rumor":)

Thank You Jeff for the brochure picture, upon further review I see a 12.2:1 compression ratio. I remember when Suzuki came out with the 350 @ 12:1 ratio and everyone thought that was crazy. Plus a smooth 2900 psi with five fuel pumps. Won't be long and we will be seeing 20% nitro-methane to boost performance!! :) 

Mercury jus released step 2 of their motor plan on Friday. V8 up to 300hp lightest model is 505 lbs. There’s some talk of step 3 being a big v10 or v12 coming out with 400-500 hp and keeping them under 800 pounds. I think Yamaha won’t be standing a chance especially with all the problems they’ve been having with the v8 300 and 350s. They are supposed to be switching those motors to v6 now due to the 425

Archived