Latest Rod

Stiletto

Putting a Shimano CI4 with 10lb braid or lighter on this guy. It is a split grip with microwave guides. Giving the guides a try to see if it is a concept or a good concept :) Finally finished it.

[image]http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3795/9208878095_208d124b33_b_d.jpg[/image]

[image]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8393/8890710613_7089c41cff_b_d.jpg[/image]

[image]http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5456/8890706679_54eaeacb62_b_d.jpg[/image]

[image]http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2866/9305377587_258d110ae4_o_d.jpg[/image]

Putting a Shimano CI4 with 10lb braid or lighter on this guy.

[image]https://www.dropbox.com/s/vdzw4ylztktoj1n/Photo%20Jul%2004%2C%202%2013%2027%20PM.jpg[/image]

Take it tail'n...after your first trip and your hands full of chum....it'll be a slightly changed diamond braid (LOL).

Very nice....customization of your life is what makes America great....

dc

That is likely 10-15 hours of threadwork there, and an excellent job. WOW! It will be nice to finish the varnish and get er out to use er. I always am excited to do so after building one.

That is a VERY impressive and VERY precise and professional wrap.

For those "not in the know", every inch of that blank bottom is covered in thread - not a bit of blank showing. Now, what you must remember, and what makes this so impressive, is that the blank tapers down through the wrap. To get the threads to all fit at both ends, he had to extend the distance between the wrap centers juusst a wee bit, but still keep it looking square to the eye - it is an optical illusion really - and done extremely well here. If he had not done it correctly, he would have ended up with wraps that had gaps in one end, and nowhere to put additional thread at the other. When that happens, unless you can seriously accurately move some thread (not likely) you are COOKED, and nothing is worse than razor-blading something like that off to start over.

So - again - NICE JOB!

That is likely 10-15 hours of threadwork there, and an excellent job. WOW! It will be nice to finish the varnish and get er out to use er. I always am excited to do so after building one.

That is a VERY impressive and VERY precise and professional wrap.

For those "not in the know", every inch of that blank bottom is covered in thread - not a bit of blank showing. Now, what you must remember, and what makes this so impressive, is that the blank tapers down through the wrap. To get the threads to all fit at both ends, he had to extend the distance between the wrap centers juusst a wee bit, but still keep it looking square to the eye - it is an optical illusion really - and done extremely well here. If he had not done it correctly, he would have ended up with wraps that had gaps in one end, and nowhere to put additional thread at the other. When that happens, unless you can seriously accurately move some thread (not likely) you are COOKED, and nothing is worse than razor-blading something like that off to start over.

So - again - NICE JOB!

After your post, I looked again...

Holy SH(*&^%Ts....that is detailed....I did a quick look at first, but, the amount of time for the overlaps is impressive....

X2^ on the compliments.

dc

Hrm, I don't know if I managed to do it in 10-15 hours... :( It has taken me awhile. It is all metallic threads, and I have only used metallics so I don't know any other way, but I am told if I used nylon threads it would be much easier. The next rod is going to be nylon, and I will let you know then. It's going to be super girly too. Thank you both for the compliments, it is fun to do, except for the lack of WAF.

Well done! I thought about a build using the microwave guides. Interested to see how you like them.

I got a minimal cast increase over my "that looks good" guide system. Maybe 5-10 feet. They definitely smooth the line quickly, but not sure what that buys me yet. I am doing another rod right after with the Fuji KR concept.

Well done! I thought about a build using the microwave guides. Interested to see how you like them.

I got a minimal cast increase over my "that looks good" guide system. Maybe 5-10 feet. They definitely smooth the line quickly, but not sure what that buys me yet. I am doing another rod right after with the Fuji KR concept.

Stilleto...

Make me one and I'll take you tail'n....secret spots and all :)

dc

Stilleto...

dc

Heh, secret spot eh? I need little incentive to build rods at the moment! It's still fun.

Well Gr***hopper, you have certainly earned my utmost respect and you have come a LONG way very quickly!!!

It is a shame we don't see more work like that. I used to do it, but it takes SO long to build a rod, and then you need to charge $800 for it if you want to make any profit! But, I am close to getting to the point I can get the Pac Bay machine back out and getting back to it - building striper rods among others.

OH - and yes, wrapping with nylon thread will be a DREAM over dealing with that metallic stuff! I am sure you know this, but make sure it is "NCP" which means "no color preserver" required. I built one - like my 2nd one about 25 years ago - and I failed to put color preserver on. Within two years, all of the wraps were pure white on top. I use NCP thread AND use color preserver - thinned a bit - to fill in the spaces and cut down on bubbling etc. before I varnish.

Stilleto...

dc

Dino, he could hire a guide for three days with the time and $$ he has in that one top wrap!! At LEAST take the man fishing an hour for every hour he spent on the rod AND pay for the components AND pay for the bait, fuel, and trip(s)!!!!! And NO running out of chum!!! :susel: :):):)

Stilleto...

dc

Dino, he could hire a guide for three days with the time and $$ he has in that one top wrap!! At LEAST take the man fishing an hour for every hour he spent on the rod AND pay for the components AND pay for the bait, fuel, and trip(s)!!!!! And NO running out of chum!!! :susel: :):):)

LOL......

dc

That is simply beautiful and amazing work. Almost too pretty to fish... (never mind I said that).

My question is about these guides. I tossed a rod with these in the spring and honestly didn't feel much difference in the casting. Almost seemed like a 'gimick'... but I can learn.

so as freaking beautiful as your rod is, more info about how that type of guide works would be appreciated.

(or - just go 'tail fishing in the secret spots :)

• 3 weeks later...
That is simply beautiful and amazing work. Almost too pretty to fish... (never mind I said that).

My question is about these guides. I tossed a rod with these in the spring and honestly didn't feel much difference in the casting. Almost seemed like a 'gimick'... but I can learn.

so as freaking beautiful as your rod is, more info about how that type of guide works would be appreciated.

(or - just go 'tail fishing in the secret spots :)

I tried to go 'tail fishing in the secret spots, but catching Dimi when he isn't double booked is tough! I fished this rod with 10lb power pro braid (not super slick) and a mirror lure. Caught a few jack, barracuda, and yellow tail. I felt very relaxed casting, it felt nice. I liked the feel casting and really enjoyed using it. I am building a Fuji KR rod now and will be able to compare that system with these soon. I think I liked the casting feel better than the traditional guides I have used. I look forward to the Fuji, those gave me similar distance but seemed more tolerant of the stripper guide placement, so I think they are easier to build with. The microwaves didn't cast right if the stripper guide was out of place.

:confused: How much time do you take to wash off, soap and water, dry, buff, clean with q-tips, blow air from a canister, etc. to clean it before you put it away?!?!? They get very valuable as they become a part of who you are as an angler. Build your rod, line your reel, make your rigs, catch your bait, boat your fish, clean your fish, and eat em up!!! All based on your knowledge and energy! It is an intoxicating feeling sometimes. Anyway - it looks fantastic and I am glad you are enjoying it.

Just a quick point (not to you, but to rod purchasers) - an outfit has a rod that is too light if you cannot break the line you are using with the rod. This lesson has boated us many larger fish on much lighter tackle. The rod is SO important, and SO overlooked. "SURE - a $350 Shimano on a $49.99 B*** Pro Rod sounds perfect!!!"

A couple years ago, we had built quite a thread of rod-buying advice and other rod-related thoughts, but it disappeared in one of the server conversions. It is too bad - it seemed like most enjoyed it. Stiletto - you are the current expert!!!!

Your words are very kind, but unfortunately I know better. I think I am just the most vocal! I have seen some rod work that just knocks my socks off, and I am learning a lot about how things work and why things are done still that some with more experience already know. I'll get there, but it'll take a few more rods :)

:confused: How much time do you take to wash off, soap and water, dry, buff, clean with q-tips, blow air from a canister, etc. to clean it before you put it away?!?!? They get very valuable as they become a part of who you are as an angler. Build your rod, line your reel, make your rigs, catch your bait, boat your fish, clean your fish, and eat em up!!! All based on your knowledge and energy! It is an intoxicating feeling sometimes. Anyway - it looks fantastic and I am glad you are enjoying it.

Just a quick point (not to you, but to rod purchasers) - an outfit has a rod that is too light if you cannot break the line you are using with the rod. This lesson has boated us many larger fish on much lighter tackle. The rod is SO important, and SO overlooked. "SURE - a $350 Shimano on a $49.99 B*** Pro Rod sounds perfect!!!"

A couple years ago, we had built quite a thread of rod-buying advice and other rod-related thoughts, but it disappeared in one of the server conversions. It is too bad - it seemed like most enjoyed it. Stiletto - you are the current expert!!!!

Archived