New to Hewes - Vintage 1981-(Help)

Capt. Jim

All Work and no Pics...

Okay guys, I know some of you are holding your breath for the next installment, well here goes...

I've haven't taken any pics the last couple of days, but I have been hard at work. The floor has been gl***ed in, as well as all the supports for the front deck. I found a killer hatch today at Boater's World, that will work perfectly in my new front deck. I am putting both trolling motor batteries up front in the compartment, and basically just raised the edges of that compartment up to the deck height. I have run my NAV light wires, and remote tilt/trim switch wires through the PVC that I installed a few days ago. The Gas tank is installed in its original location, but now has a 90 degree fitting on the top rather than the gas fill. I have decided that since my SCARAB has gas fills on the Starboard side, that I don't want another boat like that. So, I have installed the 90 fitting and hose to come over to the Port side, forward of the Vent in the top cap. The raised elevation of the Gas fill should allow the gas to flow into the tank without any problem. All the fuel line has been run down the PVC, as well as the Ground and the Pink for the Tank Sender.

I have ground all of the old "Rednecked" Non-Skid off of the Top Cap. I used an Air Angle-Grinder with 36 Grit to get it off. What a chore. I was covered in Blue from Head to toe. I was wearing long sleeves, and sweat pants, but I still looked like Papa Smurf... Not Cool.

Anyway, I have begun the "Skim" coat on the top cap. I have the bow area done where I replaced the wood, and the Port side is ready to Sand. I have to work Saturday and Sunday this weekend, so I won't have much time to work on the old girl.

I will probably just get the Starboard side of the cap "skimmed" tomorrow before I go to work at Noon. Maybe I'll sand when I get home from work tomorrow night at 9-ish.

I have decided to make "thru-hull" fittings for the Hydraulics for my jack-plate. I bought 3/4" bolts, and have a buddy with access to a laythe and such, so he can drill the bolts, then tap them for the fittings. I think that will clean up the back considerably.

I have decided to "abandon" the factory livewell on the Port side and use it for Hydraulic Pumps. I have a Power Pole and Fuel/Water Sep. that will go in the Stbd side, I will put the Trim Tab Pump and the Jack-plate pump in the Port side. That way, I'll have the entire area under the seat for storage. I always take a cooler fishing for drinks/snacks, so I'll just put the fish in the cooler like I do when I'm offshore in my Scarab. The existing hole in the transom that is for the Live-Well induction will used for a Raw Water Washdown. I will use the same (new) pump that I bought for the Live-well, but now, it will come up to one of those self contained hose and nozzle jobs inside the splashwell. One flick of the switch, and bingo, Raw Water Wasdown. Getting blood that has dried out fo the boat is a pain in the ***, so I wanted a way to "help" it along and out of the boat.

Alright, that's about it, need to get some sleep, have work in the morning.

Later, Capt. Jim.

The boat is really starting to take shape. It almost looks like it should.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey, has anyone mounted their console with Hinges in the front? Or maybe a piece of Piano Hinge? I think it would be great to be able to raise it up like the offshore boats to work on it.

Just looking for feedback.

Thanks, Jim.

Dont use a piano hinge, wrong hardware for this application. (2) heavy duty, raised door hinges will work best. make sure you install a chain or a cable to the underside to prevent the console from opening too far and slamming on the deck. You can also get a static lift arm to help you raise and lower it (similar to what holds the back door open on an SUV). BOW has them in all sizes and load ratings. I would also suggest a rubber weather stripping on the underside of the console to prevent rubbing on the gelcoat, and a small latch on either side to lock it down when underway. Make sure your rigging is all long enough as well.

If you want, send me a PM and I can help you more.

Here is a link for the style hinge I am talking about

http://www.boatownerswarehouse.com/browse.cfm/4,7851.htm

The advantage is the piece that mounts to the floor is slim, only (2) bolt holes. One thing to consider, if there is any way to throgh bolt this to the floor, you would be better off than just a screw. You don't want the screw to pull out when your in some chop.

Hey guys and gals,

Another update here with no pictures...

The top cap is all sanded, the new deck in the front is in place and gl***ed in. I have just a little "smoothing" to do, and it will be ready for primer.

I went to work in the back compartments. I painted them like I did the front compartment with a brush and roller, so I could start some rigging. It seems you really don't think about all the things that have to be done until you start with running wires, heat shrinking every connection, and mounting pumps. Wow, my hads were killing me the other night.

Like I mentioned before, I mounted the Trim Tab pump and the Jack Plate pump in the old port side livewell. I drilled a couple of 1" holes in both sides of the spashwell up in the front and ran a piece of 3/4 inch pvc from one side to the other secured in place with 45 degree elbows inside the port and starboard compartments. That gave me a sweet channel to run wires without having them exposed, or seeing any harness connections. I ran all the wires for the Trim Tab, Jack Plate and Power Pole pumps up to the console area, and ran my tubing for the starboard trim tab. It looks really good back there, I'll have to take some pics.

I have purchased a rigging tube bulkhead ***y that the rigging hose will screw into so that will "clean up" the rigging to the motor. I got my 3/4 inch bolts back from that friend of mine that drilled them, and them tapped them so I could go thru the transom "inside" the Jack Plate to hid all the hoses for that. I will be using stainless brake line to make up the connections, so no "black" hose shoing, and most importantly, no hoses going over the transom to the plate itself. I have drilled everything on the transom with the exception of the Power Pole. I don't want to do that until I have the trim tabs mounted, as I have 12 inch tabs, and you have to do something a little different with them. The 9 inch tabs are easy, but since you only get 11-1/2 inches of clearance for the tabs in the factory location and I have 12 inch tabs, I will have to do things a little differently. I should be able to raise the Power Pole mount by about an inch or 1-1/2 inch and have plenty of clearance. I don't think 1 inch is going to make that big a difference in the usage of my power pole.

That will do it for now, I'll write some more tomorrow after some work on it, and I'll take some pictures...

CYa, Cap'n Jim.

Hey don't forget about the Lappy's Rule t-shirts. I have orders for only 9 shirts. I was hoping to place the order when we get to 50 shirts, but we'll see. For everyone that has sent an order in, I have all the checks, and won't deposit them until right before order goes in. See the main Hewes forum and look for Lappy's Rule Shirt order.

• 1 month later...

Okay, you asked for it...

I know I haven't uploaded any pics in a long time, it's just hard to stop and take pictures when you're working on the boat...

It's almost done... If I only had a steering cylinder, I'd be fishing right now...

Here's a list of things completed since the last post.

Gloss White - Done

Trim Tabs - Installed

Hyd. Jack Plate - Installed

Polling Platform - Installed

"Tow" eyes in the back - Installed

Power Pole - Installed

Trolling Motor - Installed

Fuel system - Installed

Carpet - Installed

Console - Installed and Completely Rigged

Engine - Installed and Rigged

Battery under console for engine - Installed

Batteries in FWD compartment for Trolling motor - Installed

Battery Charger - Installed

RubRail - Installed

Speakers - Installed

Raw Water Washdown - Installed

Bilge Pump - Installed

Helm and hoses - Installed (Waiting on Cylinder)

Speedo Pickup - Installed

Lowrance Transducer for GPS/Depth - Installed

Remaining items that need to be completed:

Non-Skid

Install Steering Cylinder when it comes in off backorder

Hatch Covers need to be painted and installed

Drivers Seat Cushion needs to be made yet

I think that's about it... It is running, just can't steer the stupid thing. One of my friends suggested (jokingly) that we could put a tiller handle on the motor to steer with... We both got a good laugh out of that. This boat... 140 HP... and a tiller handle - one rap on the throttle and I'd be swimming from the torque...

I hope you enjoyed the update...

Go Lappy's!!!

Thanks, Jim.

1199581941-DSC00011.JPG.aebddf1a3420b057

1199581922-DSC00010.JPG.234fa620f7321e00

1199581905-DSC00009.JPG.2c03ef01bf97dfcf

1199581888-DSC00008.JPG.62903da03c28f5ca

1199581867-DSC00007.JPG.ac3b120a9c8ca376

1199581848-DSC00006.JPG.57b1abde7da98158

1199581832-DSC00005.JPG.0dea7c80d0c80b84

1199581816-DSC00004.JPG.258009197b9333cd

1199581804-DSC00003.JPG.39900e327c2310bf

1199581790-DSC00001.JPG.41b6e34dedf2e852

• 4 weeks later...

Something just made me realize that I hadn't thanked all of you for your kind words of support and "Kudos" on the boat... I'm really tickled with the way it came out.

I have my new coils, so I'll be putting them on sometime soon along with making new plug wires. I hope that solves the ignition breakdown issue. I wish I had the money to just get a new E-tec for it... That would be incredible...

Thanks again guys, and enjoy the shirts.

Jim

Archived