1999 Hewes bonefisher baitwell considerations

NMiamiAngler

I have a 1999 Hewes bonefisher that I love.  The only problem is it doesn't have a proper plumbed baitwell, instead it has a flow-thru port crustacean well.  I believe it would be the perfect skiff (for me) if it had a central larger baitwell like the newer HPXV's.  I have a larger bay boat for the family, but I still like the option of a plumbed livewell.  I've asked a few people in the Tampa area if they would consider re-configuring the rear deck and creating a central livewell.  Everyone has said it ain't worth the money.  Has anyone cut out the rear deck and reconfigured the hatches?  Certainly cheaper than trading for a comparable skiff with well.  Thoughts? 

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same boat, but my port rear livewell is plumbed, I think its about 18-20 gallons. Can hold a hundred or so whitebaits, or a couple dozen pinfish fine with a 800/1100gph pump.  However there are still days I wish I had more room. Have thought about reconfiguring so the big bench seat hatch becomes a well but not sure if it is worth the effort. Don't want a standalone well in front of the console as I don't really bait fish too much but on the odd occasion I would like some more space.  Looking forward to hearing what you come up with.  

Archived