Catch and release extended

Redrum

Media statement: FWC Commission expands fishery management measures in response to red tide

Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission sent this bulletin at 09/26/2018 12:52 PM EDT

Sept. 26, 2018

Media statement: FWC Commission expands fishery management measures in response to red tide

At its September meeting in Tallahassee, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) directed staff to expand a recent catch-and-release only measure for snook and redfish to include Tampa Bay (including all of Manatee and Hillsborough counties) as well as all of Pinellas and Pasco counties starting Friday, Sept. 28.

The FWC also directed staff to extend these measures through May 10, 2019, in these and other areas previously made catch-and-release for redfish and snook.

map 

Bookmark and Share

POWERED BY 
Powered By GovDelivery

4 hours ago, JnamJnam said:

AWESOME NEWS! Glad they extended it. I was worried it was only going to be for the month.

NOT

Sea trout should have been included.>:(

No guts no glory in my book. Shut all harvest down inshore and allow zero take of mullet by any means this year during the spawn.

The FWC has failed in my eyes if they don't and I'm truly pissed, they will hear from me and many others as they have as of this morning.

This is game on from me as a stakeholder.

Very concerning the FWC cherry picked only the 2 inshore fish with gamefish status.

The commercially targeted Jacks, Ladyfish Mullet and Sea Trout are in as much trouble as everthing else and are all part of the ecosystem.

They should stop all harvest in the areas that have had massive kills. People get all excited about seeing big fish laying on the beaches but forget those big snook were there to spawn and were full of eggs. We have lost a year class of spawn as well as a lot of year of young fish.

On 9/26/2018 at 4:03 PM, Capt. Troy said:

Sea trout should have been included.>:(

No guts no glory in my book. Shut all harvest down inshore and allow zero take of mullet by any means this year during the spawn.

The FWC has failed in my eyes if they don't and I'm truly pissed, they will hear from me and many others as they have as of this morning.

I was wondering about that.  Hadn't planned on killing anything anyway, but now I'm wondering just how much I'll fish this winter. Might be a good time to give the fish a break, even from C&R.

7 hours ago, dabear said:

I am not sure if I would want to eat a fish that is or had been in a area where the fish where all dying from the red tide . 

Just check your fish you catch for distress and don't eat a half a dozen oysters for an appetizer. If that red don't fight throw him back.

Remember, cooking does not destroy red tide toxins. Do not ever eat distressed or dead animals regardless of whether red tide is in the area. Consumption of shellfish that are contaminated by K. brevis toxins can cause Neurotoxic Shellfish Poisoning (NSP). NSP symptoms usually appear within a couple of hours of eating contaminated shellfish and they last for a few days. Symptoms can include: gastro-intestinal distress, reversal of hot and cold sensations, headache, chills and generalized muscle weakness.

:P

Archived