Quality control! Highly concerned..

tarpon41

Me:  now a Highly concerned owner of a 2007 2200V pathfinder.

friend:  Owns a 2002 Hewes bonefisher That  began to show some floor cracking along the gunnel wall ( believed it was just the typical stress cracks taking its toll on the old boat)  but he began to take on water  and the bilge would not stop ! This guy is a full-time respected permit fishermen who takes pride in his boat and maintenanc.  when he got a chance to evaluate his boat he noticed a crack in the outter bottom front portion of his hull.  He took it to a reputable fiberglass shop that determined that cutting the floor  would be the appropriate step to making a full and complete repair but, what he found was highly concerning.   It was noted that a single stringer that was in place was not fiberglassed to the hull,  but rather helled down with a form of an Apoxy glue  on an approx 2 1/2 inch flange around the stringer. Also there was NO foam in the stringer whatsoever.  Not to mention that the boat wiring was not in conduit and was simply press between the top And hau not to mention that the boat wiring was not in conduit and was simply pressed between the top And hull.

So the question or concern I am posing to all members is has anybody ever experienced this type of craftsmanship from Maverick boat builders. Was this just a fluke? Was this a shortcut? Either way this boat should’ve never of been passed through inspection. My friend his son and any other guest he took on this boat could’ve been in  Real jeopardy !

Back to me:  As I noticed hairline gelcoat cracking along my back portion of my lower floor just before the rear decking (by the rear drains which To me is a design issue) as my boat holds deck water.  I would hate to find out that I’m in the same position with my reputable build such as the Pathfinder .

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. 

Thx in advance.

In pic :  you will see the floor removed and the stringer. if you look closely you’ll see how it is not attached whatsoever . 

3B768F27-1064-493A-8AEE-E5EA550FFE49.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, there are issues.  I have a 2000 MA with a delaminated stringer that, by all accounts (insurance adjuster, surveyor, plus multiple boat repair shops) is a manufacturing defect as well.  I have a buddy with an MA, similar year, exact same issue.   So yes, I think it is safe to say that the have had some quality control issues that are patterns.  

Every boat manufacturer will have some defects slip through.  Some stand behind their products, some dont.  Some try to help owners resolve the issue with information, some don't. 

My experience with Maverickhas been disappointing.  I sure as hell didnt expect them to fix it or anything of the sort, and I never asked.  I did try repeatedly to get information to help me figure out how to fix it - design info, etc.  The minimal responses I got back weren't very helpful and there was no attempt made to get more details.   But hey, I have an 18 year old boat, am the third owner.  They owe me nothing. 

On the other hand, up until recently, I thought of MBC as a top of the line company.  The combination of the defects and the lack of support have severely tarnished that reputation for me.  

Not bashing them, just relating my experience since you asked.  I sincerely hope they read this and correct it.  Support your owners and you build loyalty.  Build loyalty, get more owners.  Today, I am just some poor schmoe who has to buy used boats because I have 5 kids to put through college, but I will be buying a new boat in the future.  I will consider an MBC boat, but if I it has a premium price, I would expect premium support . . . Even when I am not imminently purchasing.

I pay a lot of attention to how companies treat people they dont think matter. . . It differentiates world class companies from the rest.

Sorry to hear about your buddy's stringer issue, tarpon41. It's disheartening but rest assured that all boat manufacturers have their issues. Some more than others. 

Getting quality support out of an auto, rv, camper, boat manufacturer, etc on a product that's out of warranty happens very rarely to my knowledge. In my experience I can tell you that anyone with a boat or yacht that is 15+ years old & out of warranty that goes back to the manufacturer to ask for help will be at least slightly letdown. Adding up the age of the boat plus abandoned methods of construction plus support staff that weren't around when a specific vessel was being built will yield a person in whichwaysup position with minimal help. I've seen it with more than 20 different manufacturers. Opening a "can of worms" on used vessels that have had multiple owners is something they want to avoid. 

Over the years I've had several clients go back to multiple manufacturers with structural issues on vessels that are out of warranty and none received much support. I'm actually dealing with a client right now that has structural issues on a skiff that is made by one of MBC's competitors. The skiff is about 90 days out of warranty and the manufacturer has offered to fix the issue at a premium cost but they aren't sharing info to help another repairer with the fix. It's unfortunate but definitely not out of the norm. 

I'd definitely buy a new MBC product again. They gave me top of the line support on minor issues after I took delivery of my 18HPX back in 2011. It was under warranty and they made things right. If I had a structural issue with my boat today I would have a reputable repairer fix the problem and wouldn't expect anything out of MBC but maybe that's because I'm more familiar with the process than most. 

Sorry you guys are dealing with this cr*p. All of us want to enjoy our boats and not have to worry about structural issues!! 

2 hours ago, conocean said:

I'd definitely buy a new MBC product again. They gave me top of the line support on minor issues after I took delivery of my 18HPX back in 2011. It was under warranty and they made things right.

I had the exact same experience with my 2005 Pathfinder...they even went beyond what needed to be repaired and cleaned up my deck with a new gelcoat spray and when I picked it up, it was better than new.....IMHO

I had a 2003 RF, no issues.

I recently owned a 98 Pathfinder T and currently own a 1995 MA 17.  As Paul says above, I would never expect anything from a manufacturer for a vessel that is 20 and 23 yrs old....it's the roll of the dice...and my "cash" in was in the case of the 98-T $8.5K and my MA17 $11.5K....either way, if I had a problem with either vessel, I'd just take care of what I could and as mentioned above, find a good glass guy to fix whatever needed that I could not remedy....In any case, $5-7K in major repairs, is still alot less than a "new" skiff...

This past year, I've put about $1.5K in my 1995 115HP (carb stuff and general repairs); $1.2K for new trailer axle, and a few grand for upgrades....all not really necessary, but, part of the hobby for me - TM batteries, new GPS, seats, wiring upgrades, etc. etc.  I have about $17-18K with title in hand into the boat for a classic and that's what "i wanted" for the hobby.

Again, a lot less than new, in fact, I figure what I have in the skiff in upgrades and repairs, would just about cover the cost of the sales tax in Florida :)  of a new HPX or HB Marquessa, pimped to the max :)

Archived