Compression Testing: The Broker or Independent Mechanic

FLAggie

About to purchase a 2003 Maverick Master Angler with 2003 150 Yamaha.  Broker says he can perform Compression check himself.  Also reached out to another mechanic in the area that can do comprehensive inspection along with Compression Check but have to take boat to his shop..  Should i be skeptical of the Broker performing the compression check rather a independent mechanic.  Can i request to take boat to independent mechanic to have the motor inspection, have already put a deposit on the boat.  Or should i trust the broker?

My bet is the broker doesn't get paid anything unless you buy the boat. So while he may be perfectly qualified to perform the test and provide other inspections, if it were me I would prefer to have the boat evaluated by someone that is not motivated to sell the boat. My 2 cents at least. 

9 hours ago, FLAggie said:

About to purchase a 2003 Maverick Master Angler with 2003 150 Yamaha.  Broker says he can perform Compression check himself.  Also reached out to another mechanic in the area that can do comprehensive inspection along with Compression Check but have to take boat to his shop..  Should i be skeptical of the Broker performing the compression check rather a independent mechanic.  Can i request to take boat to independent mechanic to have the motor inspection, have already put a deposit on the boat.  Or should i trust the broker?

A compression test is very simple to do.  It takes a good compression gauge, plug wrench and someone at the key switch if you do not have a remote start button.  Make sure all plugs are out before pulling compression.  No need to pull the boat to a mechanic. 

I would go the independent mechanic route, too. Unless he is your son, he has too much vested interest in the sale. He should accommodate your reasonable request to take it elsewhere, or have a “mobile” mechanic come to the sales lot. Too much money involved IMO. In addition to the compression test, which is easy and within the capabilities of a broker, do a leak down test. This test is pretty much mandatory for 4 stroke wellness checks. A leakdown test is where the cylinder being tested is brought up to TDC, air is put into the cylinder through the plug hole at 100 psi. The test apparatus has two gauges, one for air entering and one for the percentage of air leaking. Less than 20% is considered good. You will have to judge if the broker is willing, and has the experience to perform. If he says not necessary,....run away, or take to another mechanic to perform. The compression test only tests momentary max compression. The leak down tests the integretary of the valves and rings to hold compression. An unacceptable compression and leak down test leads to more advanced checks that qualified mechanics can perform. You can go hog wild on preinspection tests at a dealer, all of them providing useful, peace of mind information, but $$. Questionable numbers on the two basic tests would send me looking for another boat.

A qualified mechanic does not just do a compression test. That is just the start of an inspection to see if they should waste the rest of their time and your money. If it passes it is started, carbureted, then they check each carb for proper operation, low speed & high speed jets, I am assuming it is a carb'ed motor. They check timing, cable shift to see if the dog's in the lower unit are wore out, fluids etc. Wiring, looking for green growth underneath the wire sheathing and at the wiring connections, pull the connections apart, what do the terminals look like??

Take it to a qualified, no I take that back......A CERTIFIED Yamaha mechanic!

FWIW, I just purchased a 2003 last week and the guy had it compression checked, with the compression of each cylinder written next to each plug. I was going to trust it but it kept bothering me so I ended up taking it to a Yamaha/Maverick dealer. Guess what, compression was exactly what was written but the mechanic checked everything for me. Pointed out a leak in the trim motor but that's about it. Charged me $60 for 1/2 hour of service, pretty cheap peace of mind.

I’m a broker, my advice is YOU hire an independent 3rd party.  Compression test is simple enough yet there are other things a mechanic should look at (see above posts).  Sellers are not always fully truthful to their brokers and at the price level of a smaller 15 year old boat, commission is pretty small, so Broker probably doesn’t have time (or funds) to really inspect.  (I’m listing an older Maverick for a neighbor and it’s really a favor, not worth the energy /effort to earn money.).  

Archived